Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

mileage or year whats affects price most?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

simonthepiema...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:03 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: mileage or year whats affects price most? Reply with quote

Should I worry more about the mileage a bike has its reg?

I have just seen a nice Suzuki gs 125 with less than 10000 miles but.....its a 1993 model. Looks v tidy 1 owner full service history (has a rev counter thats me happy) and the dealer wants 895 is this on the steep side or should i pay more attention to the miles and all round condition than the year?

I dont want to be left with an old dog that I cant sell for peanuts in six months

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

10,000 miles is nothing for a bike of that age, 125 or not. That a K / L plate?

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably lose money buying from a dealer, and selling in the future privately. My first bike was a GS, and they're good little learner/commuters. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:06 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as looking at the milage, you should also look at the service history. If a bike has been well looked after then high milage be a problem, if it's been abused and not looked after then even a very low milage bike isn't a good idea.

It'd be worth looking to buy privately rather then from a dealer as buying from a dealer doesn't offer anything over buying privately other than a higher price.

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:19 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GS125 will be fine well past 40,000 miles. My one had more than 50,000 on when i got it. The only thing that needed doing was piston ring change and the carb cleaning out. 10,000 miles is fine, the age is not bad either. Mine was a 1986 model.

Other things on a less-than-modern bike are no electric start and drum brakes. I can tell you now that these are not a problem. It will start with max 3 kicks and the drums will allow stoppies so are plenty powerful for the bike.

I loved mine for the 1 1/2 years I had mine and it was superb to learn on.

edit: Just re-read your post. £895 is at the top end for a GS this old, but if its got full service history, looks tidy, and is the electric start model you wont lose much.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 91 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1