Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New member introduction forum or thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Forum Feedback & Help by G (22 May 2015 - 15:12)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Should we have a new member introduction area?
But it's traditional! Let them run the gauntlet like everybody else.
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 10 ]
Go back to your kitchen, woman
46%
 46%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 30

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 22 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whose benefit would it really be? Is it supposed to make this place seem more friendly? Just because someone posts 'hi, my name is Bob, I'm new here and I ride a Honda' does anyone really care or treat them any differently than if they just started posting?

Meh, my feelings are decidedly neutral on this matter.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 22 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can maybe see where you're coming from hellkat, but it also occurs to me that 94,000+ people have managed to find their way into the BCF system without a separate introduction forum.

I think the advice when joining any new "community" is that you take things in for a while until you get to understand the dynamics of that group, which helps you to know what kind of contribution, if any, you can make. So then you can surely just step into a thread somewhere, maybe with a quick "hi" too? If you're interested in someone that comes along in this way, you can just follow their posts and see how their forum character develops, and you'll probably learn a lot more about them through watching their interactions than if they come on with some introductory biographic, from which you'll glean only a very basic outline anyway, as people tend to tip-toe a bit in such introductions.

And maybe some of this even makes sense? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 22 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Personally I just joined BCF, dealt with a couple of Teflon Mike essays and that was it.

lol: ?
that was enough punishment

I think they should join and if they get a few up votes be able to see the rest of the forum

Also should always meet a local member and buy them a bacon sarnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:39 - 22 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hello thread for newbies?

Yeah it'd be somewhere for n00bs to post saying "Hi I'm new and don't have anything interesting to say but I want to announce my arrival anyway" and it'd keep those out the way but posts from n00bs who do have something interesting to say when introducing themselves would also get posted there and so wouldn't be seen by many people.

And... this thread went in general bike chat because it'll get more views than it would in the feedback forum, presumably some newbies would use the same logic with where to post their introduction.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2