Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Schwalbe Kojac on MTB

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
 Topic moved: from The Workshop to The Cycling Forum by stinkwheel (1 Jul 2015 - 11:27)
View previous topic : View next topic  

garignol
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:17 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Schwalbe Kojac on MTB Reply with quote

Good afternoon,

I have a hard tail MTB which i find myself rarely using because my new house is nowhere near any good off road trails.

I've tried using it on road a few times with friends who have road or hybrid bikes and i find it difficult on 650bx2.2s tyres to keep up (im sure fitness isnt the issue).

I'm wondering if i went with a Schwalbe Kojac 650bx1.35 would i have a better experience and perhaps have a better chance of keeping up with the roadies/hybrids?

Also, would 1.35s look hurrendous on a mtb?

I'd probably also ride with the front sus locked off full time.

Thanks

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:34 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Road tyres for on the road. Makes an enormous difference.

Skinnier the better to my mind as long as they'll mount on your rims. Who cares what they look like?

Pump them up hard. Lock out the forks. You'll probably then find it's geared too low anyway and needs lower geared casette or larger chainring too.

You'll then wonder why you're spending £50+ on a set of road tyres for a mountain bike you're effectively converting into an ersatz and very heavy road bike with too low gears and unecessarily heavy and bouncy suspension.

Strongly consider if you should actually sell the mountain bike and buy a proper road bike instead.

garignol
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:56 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did consider the selling & buying new option however having looked into it i could only get about £400 for it.

the bike is quite rigid when locked off and weighs about 11kg which i dont imagine is too much heavier than a road bike at the £400 mark.

i'll try the tyres, thanks for your help.

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst you're still going to be at a disadvantage to a roadie, the difference road tyres makes is mind blowing. More grip on tarmac, much quieter, smoother etc.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 01 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Schwalbe City Jet's on my GT Aggressor and they are properly mint Thumbs Up First time I used them it felt like flying compared to the knobbly tires it came with. I track all my rides with Strava and my average speed went up by about 4mph Smile Just made riding the bike so much nicer, and being able to cruise at a decent speed and overtake loads of people makes it more fun for me.

garignol
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:32 - 02 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are now on order! Something I just thought I'd check.. I was hoping to get a good psi on the tyre pressure let's say in the 80 psi mark (for no other reason but Road bikes run high psi) but my dt swiss rims are only rated to 4bar /58psi, am I going to still get a good benefit running the kojaks at 50-55psi? Or am I talking bubbles, what psi would you guys recommend?

Cheers

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:11 - 03 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would pump them up to the maximum pressure shown on the side of the tyre.

I can't see pumping your tyres up hard applying any more force to the rim than, say, tightening 36 spokes attached to it to 12Nm, or attaching it to a mountain bike and going down a 4 foot dropoff with a 15 stone rider on board.

Where I could see it being an issue is if you have fenestrated rims, but you wouldn't be fitting road tyres to them if you did.

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:17 - 03 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

garignol wrote:
They are now on order! Something I just thought I'd check.. I was hoping to get a good psi on the tyre pressure let's say in the 80 psi mark (for no other reason but Road bikes run high psi) but my dt swiss rims are only rated to 4bar /58psi, am I going to still get a good benefit running the kojaks at 50-55psi? Or am I talking bubbles, what psi would you guys recommend?

Cheers

Road bikes run high psi because small volume of air.
I had the Kojaks in the road bike size and 'king loved 'em!
Didn't see any benefit pumping them up to the max though, I ended up running about 60psi front/80psi rear and they absolutely flew.
Don't know what to say about your rim, I would risk it. Again because smaller volume of air I would guess the higher psi would be fine.

garignol
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:42 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are now on! https://s10.postimg.org/wcwyu84js/14362944152131435875649.jpg

Edited to fix broken link. -stinkwheel

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I can't see pumping your tyres up hard applying any more force to the rim than, say, tightening 36 spokes attached to it to 12Nm, or attaching it to a mountain bike and going down a 4 foot dropoff with a 15 stone rider on board.

I think you'll find that high pressure tyres stress the rim sidewalls which tend to be rather weak since the advent of disc brakes, no need for them to be used as a braking surface anymore. Thats why they have a maximum pressure on them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1