Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Moved up to a litre bike - Yamaha FZ1

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Moved up to a litre bike - Yamaha FZ1 Reply with quote

After 2 years of CBR600 RR ownership I've decided to buy something newer, faster and generally more suiting to my riding needs nowadays.

My wife (of a month) and I are now riding everyday from Borehamwood, Hertfordshire into Central London (Baker Street for her, Cavendish Square for me) on mainly A roads - the RR did it but handling was a bit squirrelly at low speeds 2-up and the aggressive riding position was a bit tiresome on the wrists. It also needed even more screaming through the gears (600 IL4 init) than usual. At 51k miles on the clock and doing 100 odd miles a week, the RR needs some more love (Carvel - over to you Wink )

So... as of yesterday, I am now the owner of a grey 2008 Yamaha FZ1 (998cc to be exact) with just 16,000 miles on the clock. It's in fantastic standard condition and got it at an excellent price; the seller has moved to Germany and wanted quick sale so I saved £400 off the asking price of £3500 - which will be spent on a new front tyre and a shouty exhaust! Can't decide on stubby or not yet though (will be a carbon can).

I then rode it 60 miles home in the absolute pissing rain yesterday, got home with bike gear absolutely drenched (Alpinestars Drystar textiles - highly recommended) but with my body dry and a big smile.

Anyway, some photos (some are my father's potato pics).

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/DFB00FE3-8D6D-41DB-8087-D59B6068B9B7_zpsiyrkuv85.jpg

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/14391D35-B0DB-43C0-AC6A-313FA85AF2A9_zpsq11in0xl.jpg

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/7E92951C-F2A8-4E5D-8839-859CD7F35F14_zpsltvjitob.jpg

And off for the ride home.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11181630_10153481815159513_8235740760348114266_n.jpg?oh=448bbcd6223f7cae23d733fea05b4a6e&oe=560FA3CD

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/40D91360-F410-4EA1-80B0-98BC06B9D2B1_zpsk94xssfn.jpg

First impressions are very good. It clicks into each gear nicely, throttle response very smooth (some reports of throttle jerkiness at low speed but I've not found this an issue), wide bars are comfortable (might change to renthals soon?) and getting to speed is lovely in any gear. Pulls from 40mph in 6th gear all the way to 70 (honestly officer) and beyond very well.

First ride to work together today was comfortable and pillion reports back happy too! Thumbs Up Stuck £15 worth of petrol to fill up the tank this morning and reset the trip meter, so we'll see how that far it gets us.

Off to get a new front tyre after work as current is down to tread indicators and squared off on right hand side something horrific - have to fight it into the right bends! Insurance only wanted £40 to change the policy to this new bike, so happy days. Taxed online too Thumbs Up

Further photos / reports soon Mr. Green

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:52 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it really been 2 years Shocked Shit, time flies.

Looks nice mate, looks real nice Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my dear boy, 2 years this August in fact. Remember it was just after the BBQ in Peterborough!

Thanks Razz

It's a very clean and un-fucked with example, I could tell right away from the Autotrader ads. Full service history and all keys. All kosher Laughing

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haz one.

Can't think of a better all-round bike. Only downside is that it's got 50bhp more than I'll ever use. I feel sorry for it.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
I haz one.

Can't think of a better all-round bike. Only downside is that it's got 50bhp more than I'll ever use. I feel sorry for it.

Ah, fantastic. How many miles do you get out of a tank of fuel?

Do you have a different exhaust to standard on it? I'm trying to work out if I can just buy the can + link pipe or if it needs a full system...

Any other tips / mods needed? Thumbs Up

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of them as well, unfaired version though!

Yours isn't black enough though, needs to be blacker! Mr. Green

Enjoy!

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, I did see a few with black engines! Unfaired looked nice but with the A road riding the screen is handy. Will most likely swap that to a double bubble type screen soon though as standard is quite high.

Also happy the additions of the crash bungs and the belly pan, both of which I would have most likely got anyway!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one - good value for money are these. Guys on the Fazer forum say you don't need a full system, just a can. EXUP on these makes no difference - just noise/emissions. Different on the early carb models.

Enjoy!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:

Do you have a different exhaust to standard on it? I'm trying to work out if I can just buy the can + link pipe or if it needs a full system...

Any other tips / mods needed? Thumbs Up

No idea about fuel from brim to empty. Never really keep track of it. Once upon a time I commuted by bike and had a refuel schedule. These days it's a toy and I just stick some in when it needs it. Range seems "standard" to me, based on the 4 bikes I've owned.

Obvious basic upgrades are exhaust, bobbins, belly pan and tail tidy. Looks like yours has all of those except the exhaust. Mine is standard apart from the bobbins. I'd like a full fairing kit but I've never got around to it.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:
Ah yes, I did see a few with black engines!

Yeah mine has the black engine. Gold wheels too. Sounds a bit John Player Special but doesn't look it too much.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Nice one - good value for money are these. Guys on the Fazer forum say you don't need a full system, just a can. EXUP on these makes no difference - just noise/emissions. Different on the early carb models.

Enjoy!

Thanks! Thumbs Up And cheers for the advice via PM too Smile Will definitely get shopping for a new can then shortly.

angryjonny wrote:
Obvious basic upgrades are exhaust, bobbins, belly pan and tail tidy. Looks like yours has all of those except the exhaust. Mine is standard apart from the bobbins. I'd like a full fairing kit but I've never got around to it.

Cheers! Ah yes, it's an R&G tail tidy on there already Cool Saves me a job! Mr. Green Most likely get the chinky levers on soon too for a bit of adjustability.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:

No idea, here, either, sorry., can't be bothered with the trip counter. Laughing
Mine will quite happily chug along in 5th at 30mph, it's got plenty of grunt?

My only gripe with mine is throttle response when rolling the throttle on coming out of corners, it's a bit notchy, to say the least.
I know you can mod it to iron this out but I'd have exoected better from the factory!

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another satisfied owner here - a tankful (no pillions but 'mixed' use Smile ) should get you 120miles until the reserve kicks in.

Chamfering the RH side of the front tyre doesn't enhance the ride quality at all - just had it on mine with a PR4, but you'll get used to buying tyres ................ Shocked

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:43 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsure what R1 engine they have in them, but my 2001 R1 engine was happily getting over 160 miles of sane 70-75mph cruising before the light came on, I'd managed nearly 200 on 1 tank of light cruising also.

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend has just sold his FZ1 but kept all the extras to sell separately, too many bits to list but cheap enough, think rearsets, dyno commanders, bars, exhausts etc.

PM me and we can swap details if you want Thumbs Up

ginny
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely looking bike, Im looking for a VFR for a similar commute. FZ definitely has more aggressive looks though! Done the half naked thing and 1000cc just too much for me to use or insure.

How long does it take you to get into London? and how do you find the ride? I'll be doing Welwyn Garden City to Victoria... need to do the maths and it would be really useful to factor in timescales from someone who does similar!

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the London commute hundreds or times on a VFR(fi) and Fazer 6 (FZS600). The Fazer is certainly easier. More balanced, more flickable for getting between cars etc (similar handling characteristics to the FZ1). The VFR though - dat engine Drooling

(doze electrics Evil or Very Mad )

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermoto_Fan wrote:
A friend has just sold his FZ1 but kept all the extras to sell separately, too many bits to list but cheap enough, think rearsets, dyno commanders, bars, exhausts etc.

PM me and we can swap details if you want Thumbs Up

Cheers, PM'd Very Happy Thumbs Up

ginny wrote:
Lovely looking bike, Im looking for a VFR for a similar commute. FZ definitely has more aggressive looks though! Done the half naked thing and 1000cc just too much for me to use or insure.

How long does it take you to get into London? and how do you find the ride? I'll be doing Welwyn Garden City to Victoria... need to do the maths and it would be really useful to factor in timescales from someone who does similar!

I thank you! I really like it so far on this first day of use. It takes me about 30 minutes to Baker Street from my front door - I have done it in 25 before when it's clear and 35 with a bit more traffic. So not too long to be honest, and that's about 12 miles. Once you hit Marylebone Road you're pretty much in town!

I got a new front tyre on the Fazer on the way home from work. Cornering is MUCH nicer now Laughing They also had a look over it for any possible surprises in the garage but it was given a proper thumbs-up.

New tank-pad on the way, will get a slightly smaller plate made up and will be exhaust shopping tonight. The only complaint the wife had this morning was that it isn't loud enough Embarassed

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/4941BC07-7F3D-4D85-ACEE-B1B67701AF20_zpsvztkteor.jpg

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/72676456-3ED2-4C7B-A1F5-9B2F8BE7CD37_zpsj7bfetkn.jpg

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/F864E065-2A78-4D2D-BC53-41DF8523C263_zpsv797iy4d.jpg

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike looks brand new! Very low miles and a very decent price.

It's going to take some getting used to, not seeing you + the RR!

Must be really comfy though. Is it weird going back to bars? I find it odd when switching between clipons and bar.

Spot on about the exhaust though, needs to be replaced. Smile

Married, mortgage, sold the supersport.......what usually follows Thinking

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

Married, mortgage, sold the supersport.......what usually follows Thinking

Alcoholism?

Only kidding!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Bike looks brand new! Very low miles and a very decent price.

It's going to take some getting used to, not seeing you + the RR!

Must be really comfy though. Is it weird going back to bars? I find it odd when switching between clipons and bar.

Spot on about the exhaust though, needs to be replaced. Smile

It is really comfy but also a big tease as it accelerates so quickly you have to be aggressive with your riding position... I like it Mr. Green

A little strange going back to bars but I'm used to it already. I had the RXS and CBR swapping for a bit so same thing there.

Exhaust has just been ordered Razz

Carbon SP Engineering can (same make as my CBR was, and that was LOUD; should arrive this week:

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NFgxNjAw/z/0DEAAOSwLVZVkwjj/$_57.JPG

oscar777
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to go with a 1000, but literally could not get insured on the 1L sportbikes.

How is the extra weight feel? Hows the fuel economy compare?

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscar777 wrote:
I wanted to go with a 1000, but literally could not get insured on the 1L sportbikes.

How is the extra weight feel? Hows the fuel economy compare?

It cost me £81 to get the Fazer swapped with the CBR onto my insurance policy until the end of the year, with MCE. I'm 26, with 5 years NCB living in Hertfordshire, not garaged and with 3 points currently (boo).

Extra weight is fine when riding + low speeds. As it sits fairly high its quite well distributed. Pushing it around isn't too difficult when standing either.

It's a little early to comment on fuel economy quite yet, but I did 30 miles today and it hasn't dropped a bar on the petrol gauge quite yet (although I suspect it may do within first 5 minutes of riding tomorrow).

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:

Exhaust has just been ordered Razz

Cool, the standard exhaust is a bit Sick

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:
It's a little early to comment on fuel economy quite yet, but I did 30 miles today and it hasn't dropped a bar on the petrol gauge quite yet (although I suspect it may do within first 5 minutes of riding tomorrow).

Yeah it does that. Once it drops a bar it moves a lot faster.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5