Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wheel bearings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 06 Apr 2015    Post subject: Wheel bearings Reply with quote

Bearings. How are they replaced? Mine are cup/cone with lose balls. Are you only supposed to replace the balls?!?

I would also like to replace the quick release with a solid axle, is it a simple swap? www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251835378790

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:49 - 06 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need 18, 1/4" ball bearings per wheel. Replace them all or replace none, do not mix ball bearings from different packs because the quality control is crap.

My number 1 tip is if you need to do pretty much anything to a bike, type the job into google with the word "sheldon". Sheldon Brown wrote detailed articles on pretty much everything you could possibly want to do on a bicycle before he died and they are all still on the internet.

Here's his one on servicing/overhauling cup and cone hubs:

https://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/hubs.html

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:24 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never found loose wheel bearings to need replacing, even if the bike is a complete heap.

Pull out the bearings into a dish, (have a magnet ready for when they drop all over the floor).

Put a splash of your solvent of choice into the dish and squish them around a bit.

Get another receptacle and line it with kitchen towel and transfer the bearing into it to absorb any left over solvent. I bet they'll look perfect.

Clean the old great out of the hubs, put new grease in and refit the existing bearings. Thumbs Up

chris-red

PostPosted: 16:26 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/13120_10153132999453476_6155602626862178798_n.jpg?oh=35a2bfa8f60584616207c309d59f36c0&oe=557BD900&__gda__=1434035905_6c16fd6776057b02931c7854cc290650

These wheel bearings were fine and spin as freely as a brand new wheel after a clean and regrease.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bein a connoisseur of halfrauds fines bicycle offerings I`ve replaced a couple sets of bearings per bike .. I just replace said balls .. but in a cadge.... some you need a fcukin magnet to stop the shards goin into your tires Wink

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bicycles are fucking shit Mad

Left side was covered in rust and deep pitting. I dont quite understand it as it cant have happened suddenly, but Ive done 500 or so miles on it since 2010. Only noticed when had the wheel out to put in car. Always kept in garage,but plenty of rides in wet.

I polished up the left cup but still has some pitting, and new balls. Its still quite rough, dont think I can use it.

I dont mind lose balls, cup and cone, fair enough, but the cups NEED to be replaceable.

Bicycle bearings are also unsealed, mine just rely on pathetic poor fit dust seals. One seal will never keep water out unless its pressurised. Motorbike/cars always have a sealed bearing, then an air gap, then a dust seal. Two seals work.

I could drill out the dust seal locator, heat the hub and smash the cup out and bodge a cartridge bearing in there. Or its 50 quid for a new wheel (one with proper bearings, and a disc mount)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:12 - 12 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to build wheels.

Then £50 will get you a kick-arse wheel.

Pitting like you describe is almost certainly a symptom of very poor initial build quality and total lack of maintainance (and by maintainance, I'm talking about a 6-monthly squirt of oil and a tighten up of the cups if the wheel starts rattling).

Like chris, I've worked on bicycles older than me (and I'm over 35), have been convinced I'm the first person to have the hub apart and only replaced the bearings because I had the wheel apart and the time to clean up the old balls oughtweighed the cost of new ones.

Sealed bearing hubs are available but are unecessary if the initial build was of even a moderate quality.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 12 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m much of the opinion that bicycles are disposable.. pay your £125 and bin it after 3years.... getting attached turns them into money pits.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 12 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Learn to build wheels.

Then £50 will get you a kick-arse wheel.

Pitting like you describe is almost certainly a symptom of very poor initial build quality and total lack of maintainance (and by maintainance, I'm talking about a 6-monthly squirt of oil and a tighten up of the cups if the wheel starts rattling).

Like chris, I've worked on bicycles older than me (and I'm over 35), have been convinced I'm the first person to have the hub apart and only replaced the bearings because I had the wheel apart and the time to clean up the old balls oughtweighed the cost of new ones.

Sealed bearing hubs are available but are unecessary if the initial build was of even a moderate quality.

What would you say to a motorcycle being built with cup and cone? Laughing I bet most people only do 20 miles a year and only if its sunny.

I do regularly check the wheels (often removed to go in car), I've never noticed play in the bearings, always seemed smooth. My last long commute was in jan with plenty of salt about.

Ive never had them apart, and cartridge bearings would not need this (tho I did remove the seal, and regrease my CBR6 front wheel bearings once, while waiting for replacements).
By oil you mean grease? Bike is kept clean, bearings should not need maintenance they are cheap enough to replace if they were not designed so shite Mad

Interested, what will £50 get me if I built myself? nothing wrong with the rim.

Seems time consuming to get the correct tension and offset for the wheel. I guess I need a hub with the same spoke width. how long does it take you?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:14 - 13 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you've never lubricate or seviced your bearings and are now blaming this on the design?

Grease to assemble. Oil to maintain until next service. I service mine once in a blue-moon if they are feeling a bit loose or rough and oil them when I oil the chain.

You CAN get sealed bearing hubs and they are being used increasingly, especially in MTBs but on a road cycle, they have a degree of friction from the seals a racer would consider unacceptable. A really well set up road wheel on well oiled open bearings will still be turning five-minutes after you give it a good spin.

I used a sturmey archer hub with sealed bearings on my mother in laws bike because she wont look after it, it's heavy and strong and won't break. If you want light and fast, you get cups and balls.

Most motorcycles come fitted with open ball bearings. I've had to replace them on most bikes I've owned at between 15 and 25k miles. Sooner on some.

kramdra wrote:

Interested, what will £50 get me if I built myself? nothing wrong with the rim.

Seems time consuming to get the correct tension and offset for the wheel. I guess I need a hub with the same spoke width. how long does it take you?

I always used to lace them up then build them on the bike with a pointer taped to the frame for trueing and a ruler across the seat-stays for dish. If you pay even half as much attention as I do, your tension and true-ing will exceed that of a machine-built wheel by a long way. Most wheels have zero-offset but offset is simple, get the rim in the middle of the frame. I built myself a jig out of a scrap bike recently.

I can lace one in 30 minutes and about an hour to true/tension it with a screwdriver, a wire pointer and a ruler. First time will probably take longer.

Dunno what sort of bike you have but assuming a bog-standard rim-braked road wheel with freehub since you asked about 700c tyres previously...

How about a tiagra hub, mavic rim and halo spokes.

Tiagra 36h hub. £20
Spokes. £11.99
Rim £18

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
What would you say to a motorcycle being built with cup and cone? Laughing

I would say are you really that special that you haven't realised most bikes do have cup and cone bearings? Headraces are built this way for the low drag factor, the same reason bicycle wheels use them.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 02 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had another look at bike. The head bearings and pedals are the only good ones. The gear shifters work, thats about it Neutral perhaps time for new bike, I have done a lot of miles on this..

Front wheel bearings no rust but notchy - I've never touched them, they have never been loose therefore never needed adjustment, and have plenty of grease. No play in them.

Got the cranks off. Crank bearings are also fucked, hard to turn by hand without the crank, noisy, and with one crank it will not turn under its own weight from 1pm position. I have never touched the cranks before, so I am quite angry whoever has, the splines are chewed up and the lock ring has been cross threaded in wonky Mad

I'm intending to buy a pair of these when he has more stock. I realise the bearings do not have a seat for a secondary/dust seal, but as they are replaceable and easy to grease I wont care.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141602427495

sickpup wrote:
I would say are you really that special that you haven't realised most bikes do have cup and cone bearings? Headraces are built this way for the low drag factor, the same reason bicycle wheels use them.

Allow me to change the question to "would you buy a used motorcycle with non replaceable head and wheel bearings"... nope Shocked
Motorcycle head bearings are easily replaceable and are of much higher quality than bicycle cup and cone.

Quick estimate that Ive done maybe 100 days of 30mile commutes and lots of use in city, it will be around 3000 miles.. Im not sure if this is realistic considering original front tire, two sets of pads, same chain and gears. Cost £250 to buy in 2010, plus some other bits Ive purchased... Works out slightly more expensive than the petrol would have cost for the same mileage Sad

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:42 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Had another look at bike. The head bearings and pedals are the only good ones. The gear shifters work, thats about it Neutral perhaps time for new bike, I have done a lot of miles on this..

Front wheel bearings no rust but notchy - I've never touched them, they have never been loose therefore never needed adjustment, and have plenty of grease. No play in them.

Got the cranks off. Crank bearings are also fucked, hard to turn by hand without the crank, noisy, and with one crank it will not turn under its own weight from 1pm position. I have never touched the cranks before, so I am quite angry whoever has, the splines are chewed up and the lock ring has been cross threaded in wonky Mad

I'm intending to buy a pair of these when he has more stock. I realise the bearings do not have a seat for a secondary/dust seal, but as they are replaceable and easy to grease I wont care.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141602427495

sickpup wrote:

Allow me to change the question to "would you buy a used motorcycle with non replaceable head and wheel bearings"... nope Shocked
Motorcycle head bearings are easily replaceable and are of much higher quality than bicycle cup and cone.

Quick estimate that Ive done maybe 100 days of 30mile commutes and lots of use in city, it will be around 3000 miles.. Im not sure if this is realistic considering original front tire, two sets of pads, same chain and gears. Cost £250 to buy in 2010, plus some other bits Ive purchased... Works out slightly more expensive than the petrol would have cost for the same mileage Sad

3k miles and you are moaning because the bearings are shagged Laughing

Cup and cone are used on bicycles because the usage is different, it is under a much lighter load and low drag is far more important.

Servicing bearings is a peice of piss, and cheap, I can replace a bottom bracket in 1/4 of the time it would take me to do a set of motorcycle wheel bearings. Would also cost me less including buying the tools needed to do it.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cup and cone have a lower maximum RPM. No, they do not have less friction than plain 6303-2rs bearings.

Bicycle bottom bracket requires two specific tools that cost me 6 quid delivered. The BB tool was made of cheese and the splines melted on first attempt, grinder used to get fresh splines. Your replacement bottom bracket bearings must be almost free and therefore of shit quality if including the tool costs less than two 6303's.

Motorcycle wheel bearings are are very easy, no specific tools. You can grind an old outer shell to use as a drift so it wont get stuck when knocking fresh bearing in. Takes me about 15 mins.

A bloke at work has a £9000 carbon bicycle Laughing almost new, bearings are the normal bicycle shit, bog standard cup and cone Shocked

I got most of the bottom bracket out. The left thread is stuck, plan to drill two holes for a pin spanner.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 08:56 - 06 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have you managed to ruin a bottom bracket? Shocked

Your tool must of been made of cheese! I assume the bike you have has a 3-piece crank? Get some Park tools, they will last forever.

Pushbikes have much lower service intervals than motorbikes or cars, unsurprisingly, on the plus side theyre a doddle to work on.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1