Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So I wanna get into supermoto racing...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Doug
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:42 - 05 Feb 2005    Post subject: So I wanna get into supermoto racing... Reply with quote

Ok guys and gals

I've been hanging to get into some form of racing since I was about 6 and followed motocross but my parents could not afford it (plus my mother HATES bikes so would allow it). I've recently finished school and have defered my uni courese (mech eng/comp sci) for a year to earn money to ahh 'save up for uni' I beleive I told my mother Cool.

So now that I am free of parental reins I have decided to pursue my dream. Lately however I've been alot more into road racing than motocross but buying a road bike and upgrading it enough to be compedative seems too expensive for my budget. Supermoto sounds like it's the best of both worlds as i'd be riding a motocross bike with road tyres and adjusted suspension so I could swap the tyres/suspension settings and head off the beaten track should it take my fancy plus it looks alot cheaper than doing up a blade to race spec.

Track racing doesn't seem to be as popular in Australia as in Europe and especially supermoto but every man and his dog seems to do motocross. Maybe being from a rural area has skewed the balance the of racing that I see but I doubt it. Our domestic superbike/supersport series doesn't get a lot of media coverage and I've been looking for a second hand supermoto for a while now without much luck.

Anyway my questions here are am I being naive here? Does it take a similar amount of money to get into as road racing? Is there more to adjusting a bike for supermoto/motocross than just adjusting the suspension settings and swapping wheels? I was thinking of a YZ450F btw.

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 10:20 - 05 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermoto racing isn't /that/ much cheaper if you want to be really competitive, BUT it's cheaper to get into if you just want some fun. I'm looking to race in the UK, Southern Supermoto in 2006 , at the mo trying to get a car and sort my KTM out.

It is a case of getting a supermoto spec bike yep, talon/excel wheels, beringer caliper etc, decent set up.. then you need leathers, transport to track, race fees, damage fees when you bin it, tuning fees when you want to go FASTER. etc...

But supermoto racing IMO is a lot easier to get into, financially, than road racing, track days are cheaper, race fees are cheaper etc. etc..!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:43 - 05 Feb 2005    Post subject: Re: So I wanna get into supermoto racing... Reply with quote

Just a note; not sure about in Aus, but in the UK you can do road racing pretty cheaply.

If you go for a class such as cb500 cup, MZ250s or even supersport 400s you can be competitive at least without spending much money. While you may not be at the front of the pack, this isn't too likely anyway if it's your first season.
Doing up a blade to race spec may cost, but then you've got to get stuff sorted for a bike that will be 150-180hp. A lower class where there's more regulations and less power will not only teach better race craft but will be much cheaper.

From what I've seen a cheap supermoto is way more than a cheap small capactiy road-race bike, that has similar power to the Supermoto.

However, not trying to put supermoto down, would love to try out a supermoto trackday, might even get a chance if my dr gets put back together today Smile... however it's no where near competition spec.

Doug
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:13 - 05 Feb 2005    Post subject: Re: So I wanna get into supermoto racing... Reply with quote

G wrote:
Just a note; not sure about in Aus, but in the UK you can do road racing pretty cheaply.

If you go for a class such as cb500 cup, MZ250s or even supersport 400s you can be competitive at least without spending much money. While you may not be at the front of the pack, this isn't too likely anyway if it's your first season.

I kinda decided on supermoto because I've been riding offroad since I was about 6 (i'm 18) and the styles don't seem to dissimilar whilst i've never even set foot upon a road bike (although I'm sure I could pick it up quick enough). An 04 YZ450F is about the same price as an 04 RS125 and the lack of fairing makes it look an awful lot cheaper to drop. When I ride, I ride pretty hard so I'm pretty sure at some point I'll end rubber side up. Smile

G wrote:
Doing up a blade to race spec may cost, but then you've got to get stuff sorted for a bike that will be 150-180hp. A lower class where there's more regulations and less power will not only teach better race craft but will be much cheaper.

From what I've seen a cheap supermoto is way more than a cheap small capactiy road-race bike, that has similar power to the Supermoto.

I was kinda thinking about getting a 2nd hand RS250 (about the same prive as a YZ450F) and racing that but i'm not really sure how i'd go at it. I don't really want to crash and have an extra couple of thousand dollards of fairing on top of the anyother damage.

G wrote:
However, not trying to put supermoto down, would love to try out a supermoto trackday, might even get a chance if my dr gets put back together today Smile... however it's no where near competition spec.

Yams wrote:
Supermoto racing isn't /that/ much cheaper if you want to be really competitive, BUT it's cheaper to get into if you just want some fun. I'm looking to race in the UK, Southern Supermoto in 2006 , at the mo trying to get a car and sort my KTM out.

I don't want to go out and try to win first year on the bike. I'm planning to get a bike and spend this year tooling around on go-kart tracks and trying to get it set up/get the hang of tarmac and then see how I go next year.

Yams wrote:
It is a case of getting a supermoto spec bike yep, talon/excel wheels, beringer caliper etc, decent set up.. then you need leathers, transport to track, race fees, damage fees when you bin it, tuning fees when you want to go FASTER. etc...

But supermoto racing IMO is a lot easier to get into, financially, than road racing, track days are cheaper, race fees are cheaper etc. etc..!

I'm still not entirely sure if I'll do supermoto or road racing but I don't think I can afford road racing as I can think of more bits on a road bike to upgrade rather than a supermoto Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:56 - 05 Feb 2005    Post subject: Re: So I wanna get into supermoto racing... Reply with quote

If you're used to the style of bikes, then it makes sense to race them Smile.

No need to go for new models, never mind new bikes, be it on or off road.

In the BMCRClub in the UK they have 'Yamaha past masters'; TZR250s and RD350s, these sometime race along with the supersport 400s (tuned 250s and 400s). I know someone on another forum who had a 44hp TZR and managed to stay in the midpack of the much higher powered 400s.

Have a look around any websites for local racing clubs, be it road or half road Smile. Around here you can get a bike that could be raced from about £750, it will be a bit of a nail, but it will be prepped for racing already and will be a lot less expense to crash

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 05 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of pretty cheap road racing classifications, SuperMono for instance, amongst the already mentioned ones.

Doug
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:23 - 06 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'll check out some of these classes and see what I come up with. I'm heading out to work today for 2 - 4 weeks (not sure) so I won't be able to check the forum till I get back. It's kinda a drag but it pays well so I'm focusing on the bike at the end Razz

Cheers
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1