BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Winter Gear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:30 - 12 Aug 2015    Post subject: Winter Gear Reply with quote

what do you guys use for cycling through the winter? im quite new to all this and need to start preparing for the cold!

I got as far as buying an Aldi hardshell winter jacket, but i suspect that will be too hot for most days (1 hour commute). And i picked up some overshoes, which have saved my feet a couple of times in the rain already.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:55 - 12 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merino base layers. For all situations.

Cool when hot. Warm when cold. Warm when wet. Comfortable on the skin. Do not stink, even if unwashed for weeks.

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:04 - 12 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Merino base layers. For all situations.

Cool when hot. Warm when cold. Warm when wet. Comfortable on the skin. Do not stink, even if unwashed for weeks.

sold! what about legs? wanted to try to avoid those tight style things, but ive commuted too many winters on the motorbike to know that comfort is essential!!

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:08 - 12 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

In wet conditions don't worry about keeping dry, you'll get wet from your sweat anyway, worry about keeping warm. So you may want to put on a waterproof jacket at low temps so the boil-in-the-bag effect keeps you warm. Also don't go for a thick jacket go for lots of layers. Windproof top & mid layers keep you nice warm plus you can open a layer or two up or even pocket it mid-ride.

Silk glove liners & disposable gloves under windproof padded gloves really help keep your hands warm & clingfilm over your socks is a good one as well. I absolutly swear by Northwave winter boots A few years back I was riding in -20C temps without cold-feet issues in the equivalent of EXTREME WINTER GTX R boots Smile

Stowelly wrote:
sold! what about legs? wanted to try to avoid those tight style things, but ive commuted too many winters on the motorbike to know that comfort is essential!!

Tights are the absolutely the best way to go. If you don't like the look get some MTB shorts/trousers to go over the top.

Last edited by techathy on 14:11 - 12 Aug 2015; edited 1 time in total

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 14:30 - 12 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get a very good quality softshell jacket.

I got one from Pearl Izumi (https://pearlizumi.co.uk/product/men-s-elite-softshell-jacket-var11131017/PZ11131017027S) which is expensive but it keeps me warm and dry. Amazing bit of kit.

Gloves, look at these (https://www.bontrager.com/model/11353) from TREK, I have an older version and theyre still waterproof after 7 years! I've seen people mention ski gloves before which would make sense as well.

As for legs, theyre going to get wet, just accept it. As theyre moving so much they heat themselves up and even in minus temperatures with a decent-ish pair of cycling winter tights my legs have never got cold. Important to keep your torso and most importantly hands warm above all else.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:00 - 12 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidl/Aldi periodically do high merino content base-layers on offer. And pure merino cycling jumpers.

I'm a big fan of wool in cold, wet conditions these days.

On a recent motorbike run with my club, we covered 450 miles in scattered showers. I wore a merino t-shirt and leggings under my 2-piece leathers. I got damp en-route but arrived warm and dry. Others who were wearing textiles or their rainsuits arrived soaking wet.

Same in my canoe. Wool lets me get wet and stay warm rather than trying unsucessfully to keep dry (the only way to garaunte staying dry is to wear a drysuit, and you still land up soaking in sweat).

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 12 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started MTBing this winter - early January to be precise. I went out in all weathers - snow, ice, rain etc.

I don't worry about keeping dry so much as keeping warm. A lot of my warmth comes from doing the work, but my hands need to be kept warm. In the end I dived into my motorcycling kit and ended up with the following:

Hands - some cheap Aldi/Lidl (I forget which) winter gloves. They are not great for motorbiking but work well on the MTB, with enough feel to use gears etc, enough warmth to allow my body temperature to keep hands warm and with some knuckle protection for the occasional spill.

Legs - some cheap Aldi/Lidl (I forget which) compression base layer long johns. I supplemented these with some cheap Decathlon thermal leggings. I only wear one pair at a time, but since they get muddy and wet I have a few pairs that cycle through the laundry. I then wear some Oakley MTB shorts, which comprise a separate padded liner and the baggy, pocketed shorts.

Torso - a cheap Aldi/Lidl (ditto) compression base layer, then another layer (often an EDZ base layer), then a Frank Thomas "Anti-freeze" zip-fronted, roll-necked, long-sleeve thermal top with a wind-cheating front panel. All topped with a hi-viz vest.

Feet - Shimano MTB SPDs with regular 'tennis' socks.

Head - nothing special other than a pair of Bollé safety glasses that stop the mud'n'shit from getting in my eyes (as well as my usual helmet).

Bike - cheapo flashing rear LED light, awesome bright front LED light that allows me to use unlit trails in the pitch dark with great visibility. Brite-R Vier.

Misc - iPhone; I use Strava on my phone - to protect it I simply put it in a small zip-lock plastic bag and keep it in my pocket or in my hydration backpack. I can use the phone through the plastic, but essentially I set it going, pocket it then don't look at it again until I get home.

I never once got cold, and the zip-fronted jacket meant I could regulate my warmth as required.

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:43 - 12 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers, yeah noted about not staying dry, only really care about keeping feet dry mainly anyway, mostly due to not wanting to cycle home with wet feet!

@weasley, cheers for the link to the light, was looking for something bright enough for unlit country roads, but not £300 like most of them seem to be!! will go nicely with my rechargeable led's

thanks for all the input!

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 12 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do some fairly serious winter cycling (like through the night, frozen water bottle type stuff covering a couple of hundred miles a day).

Layering is important. I wear lycra for comfort, with winter weight roubaix fabric longs and jacket. Then potentially a pair of ron hill running trousers over the top, then Gore Bike Wear goretex overtrousers and jacket. The Gore stuff is as much for wind-proofing as waterproofing.

Buffs on my neck/head, and potentially a windproof balaclava if I start to get cold or it starts to snow. Just a cycling cap otherwise on top of the buffs, to keep water out of my eyes.

On my feet I have cycling shoes a couple of sizes bigger than my summer shoes, with either thick walking merino socks or sealskinz waterproof socks plus thin lining socks underneath (otherwise sealskinz feel clammy). Then waterproof covers over the shoes - neoprene is nice and warm, but with suitable socks and shoes big enough to not squeeze your feet the proofed nylon is good enough.

For gloves I wear either sealskinz winter weight, or some waterproof skiing gloves in seriously sub-zero temperature. Whilst bulky, you can still operate the bike safely.

Important for keeping dry is layering - make sure that the waterproof socks are under your tights, the waterproof shoe covers are under your waterproof trousers. That way water always runs down off your feet, not into them (a big problem with waterproof boots is that they fill with water).

The other thing I do in winter is move to more robust tyres - if doing a nighttime ride over Snowdonia in January, I put Marathon Plus on. They are heavy and nasty to ride on, but a puncture in sub-zero is potentially serious as your fingers loose feeling making it really slow to fix and you are probably not wearing enough clothes to keep your body temp up if you aren't riding.

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:55 - 14 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
I do some fairly serious winter cycling.....

jeez thats hardcore man!

thanks
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 229 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1