Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

need lift stand with min. clearance of 280mm

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 27 Aug 2015    Post subject: need lift stand with min. clearance of 280mm Reply with quote

Please give me some suggestions of lift type stands that I can use with a bike whose sump is 280mm off the ground. All the ones I see on ebay and elsewhere seem to be about 350mm. Confused

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:57 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Re: need lift stand with min. clearance of 280mm Reply with quote

Not a big thing to lift a dirt bike onto one.

This type being adjustable might give you a bit more flexibility:
https://g03.s.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1QK4pHFXXXXapXVXX760XFXXXt/Cheap-Adjustable-Damping-Lift-MX-Hydraulic-Moto.png

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a cheap ebay lift stand, it's about 15mm too tall to just push under the TTR,which I seem to recall is 280mm off the floor , but I am capable of picking it up 15mm to put onto the stand, then you just need to stand on the lever and away we go!

The CRM is tall enough to just push it under before lifting, the pit bike and MT50 need a lift up onto it, but not by much, about 50mm for both, but they both weigh next to nothing so a lift stand isn't even necessary.
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly can't pick the bastard up a few inches. It's pissing me off. Especially after I watched this little kid on youtube flip his CRF450 up onto a stand that was a good several inches too short.

Doesn't help that it's got nowt to grab onto at the back either though. I can shift my cb500 around a fair bit just by tilting it down onto my right leg and mauling it a good few inches. Can't do this w/ the w650 though. Fat bastard. I mean, I'm not fit, and in any case never was a tough guy type. But I've got a little bit of heft and *some* strength in my arms. Be damned if I can inch the fucker up onto my old crm stand though.

Nope - not going to tell you what bike it is cos I'm a bit embarrassed by it at the moment. Suffice to say I didn't go pumpkin (although did have a go on a 450 that came up locally - was too dear and too knackered but more than that, just way more than I needed). Too much animal for me. Neutral

So had to plump for a girl's bike (nope - not a serow Laughing ) in the end. Which has a clearance of 294mm, apparently. Can't find official spec figure for crm. At any rate, am currently using daughters' bmx ramp to get back wheel higher, than ramming the old lift under the frame. Works fine but is more of a faff than I'd like. Anyway thanks guys.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATV lifts go way lower than that.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:45 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
It's pissing me off.

Indeed - looks like you need to invest in a barbell, not a stand Razz.

Have you tried tilting the bike sideways and kinda shuffling it over on to the stand? May be able to use the knee technique for this.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
It's pissing me off.

Indeed - looks like you need to invest in a barbell, not a stand Razz.

Have you tried tilting the bike sideways and kinda shuffling it over on to the stand? May be able to use the knee technique for this.

I used to do quite a lot of free weights - but I started getting a recurrence of a back injury from humping gear around years and years before. Which was a bit gutting cos I got some decent tone and definition in my shoulders, biceps and stomach - not to mention feeling better about being fitter and stronger.

So more recently I started again with the free weights but using a bench. Even that didn't help though. So I took some weights off the hand bells and shot for reps instead of blah. Still was knackering my back though. The next idea was to get a belt, and that's kind of where I am now. I just got unmotivated because of the pain I was getting, and became pessimistic about the possibility of a belt alleviating the problem.

I'll try the knee manoeuvre again but as I said the lack of a grab rail at the back makes it so much harder. : - /

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
ATV lifts go way lower than that.

Cheers Pete - I'll have a look at those.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:05 - 06 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, on that... a rear grab is generally very useful for dirty riding.

For lack of one in the past, I've got a bit of old seat belt (tie down or anything similar will do you fine too) and attached it to the frame rails. Especially in enduros where you may get a marshal giving you a hand out of a muddy bog, but they won't be so impressed if it means grabbing a mud-slopped mudguard.

Also useful when out on your own etc too of course.

Feel your pain re weights - I haven't been able to do anything for a year or so thanks to a dodgy shoulder that's got worse not better Sad.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:10 - 07 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of looping a strap of some sort under the seat - seen that on some enduros, one at the front above the lower yoke and one towards the back under the seat.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 07 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay sussed it now. Got the bike back after having some AC10s fitted, and had chance to try a few different things. Guy who fitted my tyres - Stuart in York - said just flip the side stand down, come round to the other side of the bike and tip it sidewards so the back wheel's pivoting on the stand. This brings the rear up a few inches, then just maul the stand underneath. Works pretty well. Need a bash plate though cos the sump plugs tearing the nice rubber matting on the stand when I lever the bike off.

Took new (to me) bike on the nugget i.e. huggate run tonight and it was pretty good. Before I went I whipped the pilly pegs off, tool roll out, nearside mirror off, and the rubber covers off the pegs. Must've been worth a kg in itself. Pics to follow.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1