Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommend me a (cycling) GPS or bike computer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 22 Sep 2015    Post subject: Recommend me a (cycling) GPS or bike computer Reply with quote

Currently use MapMyRide and stick it in the saddle bag of my road bike when I go out for a ride, but considering getting a bike computer or GPS to give me live update of time/distance/speed/average speed etc.

What computers/GPS do you guys use, and pros/cons.

Ta muchly.

P.S. Aldi have the Garmin Edge 500 on their special buy from Thursday 24th for £80, so considering that maybe. Or perhaps something else that'll go on the Christmas list later this year.

Last edited by Llama-Farmer on 00:12 - 23 Sep 2015; edited 1 time in total

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 22 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin 800 here.

It offers the vast majority of top end features from the big 810/1000s including full mapping, ant+ compatibility with pretty much everything, seamless synchronisation with Strava, and tons of room for customisation to help with everything from full on training to just pounding out some relaxing miles on the weekend regardless of what bike I happen to be taking out.

The battery still outlasts my legs and frankly, other than the live segment support I see absolutely zero reason to replace it with anything newer.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Seb I'll have a look into that one

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin 500 is cheap at Aldi, think it's £80. Doesn't do navigation per se, but does let you know when you deviate from a course, and shows you the path too.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you've seen it. Well, it's a pretty solid device. You customise your screens (think you can have 7 total) to show you figures from a list of maybe a hundred? I like watching heart rate zone, push that sucker up to 5.5 and you know you're not tickling the hill. Also shows gradient, climbed and time moving etc. Basically, it's like Stato while you're on the move. Combine it with Strava and you're in heaven. Then add VeloViewer to Strava and you'll hardly have time to ride the bike for all the figures you've got to look through!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:59 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a (cycling) GPS or bike computer Reply with quote

Bar mount for phone and 'ipbike' - app is a bit geeky but offers loads of options and you get the map display etc.

Connects to sensors etc if you have an appropriate phone/sensor - I've had mine connected to Garmin HRM and speed/cadence sensors in the past.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am mulling the RFLKT. It's not a computer per se, but it links to your phone and displays data from your fitness app on a small, handy, customisable device in your bars. You still need to have your phone with you and running, but tucked safely and dryly away.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin Edge 810

Does everything I want, but has been a turbulent relationship. Second one as I sent the first one back as it was soo buggy / temperamental for which they sent me a newer one (+ goodies). The new one has been fine in use with only a very occasional freeze. Not failed in use, but not used as navigation much.

Features I use:
live tracking via the garmin site. Start a ride, share via email and the wife can track you and have food ready for when you're coming back down the road.
Strava, via bluetooth on your phone. Finish ride, upload straight away.
Virtual partner. Got no one to ride with? Set a pace and beat it.
Cadence/wheel/heart rate monitor
Auto backlight - Sunsets, contrast reverses and set the light to come on.
Custom screens - show what you want, how you want, with what you want.
Lap speeds
OS map - no amazing detail, but enough to pick you way across woods you don't know using the maps
Battery wise it'll do 12hour rides if you don't use the navigation, but have the HRM / cadence/tracking on. Will probably do 15 hours as a bog standard one. Expect down to 8hrs with heavy use of the maps and flicking between the screens. It is however rated at 17 hours, which i've never seen. Not a problem though, as it'll charge on the go for epic rides.

I'd recommend one, but in the same way I'd recommend an android phone. Very very capable, but you need to know your way around it to make the most of it and keep on top of the updates.

The 500 is an old model with the 520 coming out now. The 20/25 may be better.

A good one is the Edge Touring, but it has a lot of the 810 features stripped out. Not sure if it has bluetooth / ant+ etc.

Check out the garmin forum and see which one has the least complaints - https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?20-Cycling

Although you will see a lot of complaints about most models, they do update the software. 800 would be a safe bet. 810 is good, but will depend on the firmware. Some users feel that the updates will dry up soon due to its age / being superseded.

Work out what is important to you:
Maps?
Custom screens?
Live track?
Long battery life?
Cadence/ HRM?

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 25 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a RFLKT, it's a nice idea if a little temperamental and buggy in places. It's rather telling that it hasn't been used once since I got my Garmin. Whilst most of the quirks of the display itself are either avoidable or predictable, the Wahoo speed/cadence sensor is utter shit. Either get the RFLKT+ and pair one of the new Garmin accelerometer sensors or just get a bluetooth alternative. Mine chews through button cells and is unbelievably finicky on the wheel magnet/arm positioning.

Needless to say, the Wahoo rig is getting given away to whomever buys my Stumpjumper Neutral

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:13 - 25 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there any cheaper devices than the garmins that will track in a format that can be uploaded to strava?

cant seem to justify £80 on a edge 200 when it isnt massively more convenient than using an old android phone

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 26 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I'm starting to sway towards a Garmin 520 tbh now... might put it on the christmas list.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1