Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


MOD2 failed on undue hesitation, shot my MOD1 as well

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

sorter
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 08 Nov 2015    Post subject: MOD2 failed on undue hesitation, shot my MOD1 as well Reply with quote

Hi all, did a stupid thing (well, a tat stupid) - went for DAS having few weeks of theory left - done MOD1 and failed the MOD2 on undue hesitation on the last day of theory valid - hence - all over again, the full monty. Here's the thing - you're being told to play it safe, yet I failed due to stopping to let van go through - bastard stopped and was approaching roundabout way ahead of me, but we both stopped in the end. I've been driving for 20-odd years (I know, different) and I think I know what I've done - normally when I drive with someone behind me when I enter roundabouts, etc. I look for a gap for both of us so we don't get separated too much. I think I might have done this subconsciously and ended up in flames. Never did that on the training though, thought I'd had few minors for lifesavers or indicators left on, yet - only one minor and that bloody undue hesitation. I was told it's not a small bike anymore and can pull through roundabouts much quicker than a car or a 125. Sure, but was trying to play it safe, as told. Stupid bit of advice I suppose, I know it's true, but once you KNOW the machine you can judge it better, not after three hours on it? Any tips? I can tell you one thing, he'll find it hard to keep up with me next time if I'll be in my driving mode... Gutted though, as I am safe, got the bike and can't ride it now - yet... Or can I... Wink What gets me is that from being on or off road it's only one guy who thought - nah, won't give him that. Blew good few bobs this way; might do the next on my bike though to know the machine better and make it cheaper...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:46 - 09 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure during the briefing that you were told what way the test would go, how long it would take and told to ride for yourself. You admit you waited for a gap big enough for you and the examiner. He failed you. You must have done this at least 4 times to clock it up as a consistent to get a fail for. This means you did not ride for yourself.

You say you never done this in training, the examiner was not there during your training, he has to go on what he see's in front of him.

Stopping to let a van go through, would you have done that in the car? Very probably not, hence the fail.

As for the bit about its only one guy deciding. Have you got any idea the work that one guy has had to put in to become a DVSA examiner? I do and I have a whole lot of respect for an examiner after finding out just how hard the assessment and training is. The examiner is a fully qualified car examiner as well as a motorcycle one. The DVSA do not train motorcycle examiners without first training them to become car examiners. The car training and assessment is a minimum of 5 weeks intensive training where you are out with an assessor for several hours a day, every day.

This one guy is more than qualified to make a decision on whether to grant you a full licence.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:10 - 09 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even nearly 20 years ago when I did my test, I was instructed in the briefing at the very start of the test to ride for myself and not to wait for the examiner if I thought it was safe to go.

Given he was following in a van, I shook him at each busy roundabout and didn't see him at all for fairly large chunks of the test. I was radioed to pull over to the side twice to let him catch up. Suited me fine.

I'd be surprised if they didn't still say something similar. It's pretty much a script.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:13 - 09 Nov 2015    Post subject: Re: MOD2 failed on undue hesitation, shot my MOD1 as well Reply with quote

sorter wrote:
I can tell you one thing, he'll find it hard to keep up with me next time if I'll be in my driving mode


DSA Derek accepts your challenge... although I'm not sure you'll get your desired result next time round if you attempt to race him off the lights. Police Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sorter
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:08 - 09 Nov 2015    Post subject: Moving on... Reply with quote

Aye, took this onboard. Would still think that I should play it safe until I feel that I know the machine's capabilities better and can judge if something's doable or not. I was told to ride for myself, yet as said, I drive a lot with other people and I think that took the toll - it's like the autopilot mode that takes over on a known route... It wasn't few cases, just one serious, not building up four minors. Wasn't dangerous though, which it would be if I'd pull off and both of us would plow into the roundabout - this was what I was trying to avoid. Would I do it in a car? As I came off the first roundabout to approach the fatal one the guy in a van was already about a metre away from it, so seen him in plenty of time and thought he'd be on it before I hit it, hence slowing down and stop. Not intending to race now on the next one, will have to wait a bit to recoup losses and pay and do the lot again. If I want to do it on my own bike, what are the restrictions and do I need to just stick L plates front and back? How can I ride my bike now to get ready for the test? Do instructors allow you to use your own bike or is it possible to hook up to an existing ride? Not looking for a lesson, just some time on the bike legally to get use to it before the test. It's all insured, MOTd and TAXed, so all legal, apart from my bit. I know lots of people ride without half of that and I was tempted to go on my own on a quiet day, but don't want to push it too much.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:38 - 09 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Even nearly 20 years ago when I did my test, I was instructed in the briefing at the very start of the test to ride for myself and not to wait for the examiner if I thought it was safe to go.

Given he was following in a van, I shook him at each busy roundabout and didn't see him at all for fairly large chunks of the test. I was radioed to pull over to the side twice to let him catch up. Suited me fine.

I'd be surprised if they didn't still say something similar. It's pretty much a script.


Mine was so similar then - got followed in a car. Romped traffic. Many lols when radio came over saying wait for me and about ten minutes later he appeared
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:22 - 09 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah 2nd throw at mod 2 guy was caging. Can't deny trying to lose him (and not surprisingly succeeding a few times). His ST was off the road - can;t remember why. Rear shock had collapsed under weight of spare clipboards or something.
____________________
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent."

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:26 - 09 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is is difficult to ignore the examiner, especially when they're on a bike. Well, long term it'll be a funny story, although it is a pisser that the theory expiring invalidates the mod 1 as well. Only in Whitehall...

pinkyfloyd wrote:
You must have done this at least 4 times to clock it up as a consistent to get a fail for.

Eh. There's a pretty consistent pattern of examiners expecting bikers to give it some. Confidence is one thing, but I do have to wonder if they're holding us to a standard that doesn't apply to to Sandra Seventeen in mum's Micra.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:31 - 09 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
I am sure during the briefing


lol, what?

stinkwheel wrote:
in the briefing


I said "lol what?"...

Shocked
____________________
Honda CBF125 ➝ NC700X
Honda CBF125 ↳ Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sorter
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:36 - 09 Nov 2015    Post subject: Briefing Reply with quote

As for the brief, not so sure there as I've failed MOD1 first time for dropping foot down to stabilise due to the fact that on training when you end high speed manoeuvres facing the imaginary U-turn we were always doing it within the lines - as I was trying to do that third time (after being told to repeat as I was 48KPH instead of 50) got nervous and went too far, to compensate cut it a bit and landed my foot for a second on the ground, that was the only failure then, all manoeuvres were ok. Was told afterwards that after the U-turn I can take as much space as I like to do a U-turn after manoeuvres - I'm sure I wasn't told that either during training nor during the brief before the test. He did say that next time (same guy three times) clearly, after me noting that it hasn't been mentioned to me - it wasn't only me, as two other guys who trained with me and failed came and were surprised when I told them that you can use all space available... You can never be 100% sure. As said, at present it's getting used to and learning the capabilities of the bike that's important. Any requirements for the bike other than L-plates (hard plastic or stick on the windshield - front?) MOT, 944cc, TAX and insurance?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 09 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
pinkyfloyd wrote:
I am sure during the briefing


lol, what?

stinkwheel wrote:
in the briefing


I said "lol what?"...

Shocked


At the start of the test, where they test your eyesight, fit your radio and tell you what you're going to do. That's the briefing.

I'm not sure if the MOD1 is a good or a bad thing. Sucks your has expired but then again, you used to do your part 1 manouvers on the street as part of the overall test giving you a vastly increased chance of fucking-up and failing the lot. Many people did a near perfect ride on their test oly to fail it on a foot-dab on their u-turn.

WIth regard to the bike you do the test on. I'm sure your own bike is fine providing it fits within the criteria for the type of test you're doing.

Look here

You need L-plates, two mirrors, an MPH speedo and no warning lights showing.

The problem will be getting it there legally then getting it home again if you fail. So you'll need either a van/trailer, someone else to ride it there and back or an instructor to ride with you.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sorter
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 09 Nov 2015    Post subject: Transport Reply with quote

It's a Ducati ST2, 944cc, will definitely take the panniers off for that, transport is not a problem, as I've got a van and just purchased a nifty ramp - used one to get the bike into the van when collecting it, thought they'd cost an arm and leg and it turned out it's only about £30. This part is sorted then. No lights and as said, all road legal and taxed/insured. Will stick L-plates on it then. I've seen quite a few guys around riding with L-plates on bigger bikes, which was a bit of a surprise to me - they definitely were not instructors and were on their own... Is there any other way of getting on a bike? I thought it's only unsure supervision of certified instructor. Hmmm... Will try to ask would I be able to hook up with my bike to instructor doing training with others. I just need to ride it a bit to get used to it, but as said - would try to do it legally; unless that fails, then - well... It surprises me how many people just get on a bike even with no training whatsoever and ride them with no insurance / tax / mot, not mentioning the license... And I'm here, trying to do all by the book and getting shafted.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 09 Nov 2015    Post subject: Re: Transport Reply with quote

sorter wrote:
I've seen quite a few guys around riding with L-plates on bigger bikes, which was a bit of a surprise to me - they definitely were not instructors and were on their own...

If you were going to ride around unlicensed, why on earth would you draw attention to it by displaying L plates?

No moralfaggotry from me, but please don't use other people's behaviour as an excuse. Be clear on the risks. If caught (admittedly unlikely), you will be done for unlicensed. You're likely be done for uninsured. Your bike is almost certain to be seized and you'll have problems getting it back because even if you show up with a van or trailer the pound monkeys will want to see evidence of at least insurance (and not your mate's "other bikes" cover) and possibly license.

Be lucky.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:21 - 09 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
At the start of the test, where they test your eyesight, fit your radio and tell you what you're going to do. That's the briefing.


Ahh well, it was very brief Smile
____________________
Honda CBF125 ➝ NC700X
Honda CBF125 ↳ Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.33 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 94.61 Kb