Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pillion riding.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 02 Feb 2005    Post subject: Pillion riding. Reply with quote

Hello all,

Tomorrow my fathers friend is travelling to our house after to work on his motorbike to show me it and hopefully I can have a ride on the back of it. So far my dad has only told me a few things about the bike itself.

- It's a 1000cc...Sorry my dad forgot what make or model it is.
- So far he has had 110mph out of it.
- It's big as I can imagine.

The only time I have ever ridden on the back of someones bike, was when I was younger and my grandfather took my to a classic motorbike show on his scooter, which funnily enough is the same one I have now , but different colour. Riding on the back of a scooter isn't exactly hardcore.

I really don't know what to expect from this since I've never been a pillion on the back of a big bike. I'm rather excited about the fact that I am going to be riding on the back of this thing, but also alittle nervous because it's my first time, don't know what to expect or do , etc.

I am asking the people upon BCF if they could give me any pointers in what I should expect. Wiether I should grab onto the rail at the back, put my arms around his waist or that strap across the seat. Lean round corners when he leans round corners, stuff like this would be much appreiciated. Thumbs Up

Thanks Daniel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rollins
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:50 - 02 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on tight (grab rail, seat strap, love handle thingy's you can buy, your dad etc), lean with the bike, sit still, feet on the pegs - the usual really. If it's a supersport (Fireblade, R1 etc) it isn't going to be comfy. However, if it's a sports tourer (Honda CBR1000FM etc) it will be more comfortable.

You'll be going a damn sight faster than on a scoot, but just enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 02 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make clear about how you're going to get on, before you do. Some riders like you to put a foot on the peg, hold on to them and swing over, but if they're not ready, the whole bike'll go over. Others prefer you to just swing your leg over from standing, not putting any weight on the bike until you're sitting on it. Just make clear how the rider wants you to get on, and make sure that they're ready before you do anything.

When riding, behave like a sack of spuds, and don't do anything but lean with the bike, though I found that if you try and lean deliberately it's an awful lot more difficult than just keeping a constant position in relation to the bike.

If I'm going quickly, I prefer to hold onto grab rails if they're any good, as they're something to brace your arms on/ hang off. I can't see the rider appreciating the pillion piling into the back of them when they're braking.

At the end of the day, most riders will tell you exactly what they want you to do, and if you're not sure, just ask. Also, it's something that people telling you what to do isn't quite enough, you just need to get out there and try it.

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 03 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you Mchaggis and Rollins for your reply's they both helped me. Thumbs Up

James (my dad's friend) finally arrived at our house at 2:40 on his black Honda CBR1000. It looked fantastic, was 1998 model, a little dirty but looked stunning.

Took a few pictures (Which I will be uploading soon, So I'll be able to show you guys it) from all the different angles, my mum took a few with me on it.
Then came the time to take it for a spin. I was still slightly nervous about it. When we were putting on our gloves and helmets James told me how he would like me to get on. (Thanks Mchaggis for that part) He sat on the bike first then I put one foot on the left peg, swung my right leg onto right peg, quite simple really.

James also told me that he thinks it would be much better for me to grab onto him, because he has had a few experiences on the back and he said he didn't feel very secure, it felt like you weren't going to stop etc. But I'm sure everyone has there own way of holding onto the bike.

We got going, just started of going through the surrounding small villages and towns, filled up at the petrol station. Then for the big one, we were heading towards the A1 near Doncaster. I must say as we were going there we were entering corners at 90-100mph, I was very scared, but thought it was amazing how well the bike handled it , etc.

We finally got onto the A1 and our top speed was 150mph Cool Which I thought was mega- sweet. Never have I felt such a big adrenalin rush in my life.

It was a very excitable journey that I still can't stop thinking about. Sorry to ramble on, but it was my first time been a pillion going 150mph.

Thanks again Rollins and Mchaggis! Smile Bye!

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 00:14 - 03 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed it mate. Sounds like you had a real laugh Thumbs Up

Rollins
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:23 - 03 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do is sit back & enjoy the ride - thank God the CBR1000 was designed with two-up ability in mind.

I'm glad you had fun mate - my entire pillion experience involves being on the back of a Yam SR125 during CBT, and being a taxi service for my mate, on my RS125! Both barely comfortable enough for one person, let alone 2.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 03 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed it, and good job on the report writing. Smile Thumbs Up

Happy to help.

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 22:47 - 03 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done mate, sounds fun! Thumbs Up

I had never experianced going pillion on anything bigger than a 125 until my mate took me on his R6, i felt exactly the same. Felt he was going too fast for the corners, but the bike handled it sweetly. We stopped at a petrol station and i asked him if he'd properly opened it up yet, to which he replied 'no' i was like Laughing

So we got onto the A500, he turned back to me and shouted 'ready' so i grabbed him, and omg i never felt such a rush, lol. We were flying past cars like they were parked, i poked my head out to glance at the speedo which read 140 and we kept on for a bit. Finally we slowed down as there was traffic up ahead and he told me we hit a cool 155 Thumbs Up Loved every minute of it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 03 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a blast Dom_
Glad you enjoyed it as much as me. Thumbs Up Very Happy

Krs
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:06 - 04 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most will agree being on the back and not being a bike rider yourself, It will seem immpossible that something can go that fast and that was just on the back of a standard r6 Wink

But it's not nice being on the back as you have no control beig on a moped or supebike Thumbs Up

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 18:07 - 05 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krs wrote:
As most will agree being on the back and not being a bike rider yourself, It will seem immpossible that something can go that fast and that was just on the back of a standard r6 Wink

yeah it's pretty scary when you can see something but the rider hasn't noticed it, you've got no real way of telling him.

The R6 had a set of micron pipes on and some titanium end can (i forget the name) and a k & n filter. 101bhp at the wheel. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Krs
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:12 - 05 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to squeeze my legs in when he need to break lol, Even worse when the rider cant handle the bike

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 18:29 - 05 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a while you get dead confident on the back of the bike and you will end up counter balancing the power the force of the bike by just sitting there. I don't even hold onto anything now, just have me arms rested on me legs. Take a look at the scenery.

The only time I get scared is when my Dad suddenly decides to get a spurt on and so it feels like I will be flying off the back. Razz
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:40 - 05 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretend your a sack of spuds. Dont try to counter-lean the bike or anything like that, just sit there. I was riding pillion on my dads bikes when I was 13 and never had a problem, or caused one thankfully.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 00:43 - 06 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started to take pillions on My ER-5 and all of them so far have been good and sat still which makes it much easier as the rider to controll the bike.

Mind, Im sure my level of shite riding capabilities scared them more than anything. Sad

Monkfish
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 07 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

went on the back my friends mito......omg
ive never bin on anything bigger than my 50 an that goes 55.
we drove around our area for a bit an i was feelin the power then we turn to the slip road for the north circular, he turns his head and says we're goin over 5000rpm yea hold on, i thought shit. the thing kicks in 1st like it wants to throw you off it like a horse, zippin past everythin round bends it was the bollocks.
im gettin my self i geared 50 now probaly a tzr-50...must have gears twist n go sucks!

Krs
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:21 - 07 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkfish wrote:
went on the back my friends mito......omg
ive never bin on anything bigger than my 50 an that goes 55.
we drove around our area for a bit an i was feelin the power then we turn to the slip road for the north circular, he turns his head and says we're goin over 5000rpm yea hold on, i thought shit. the thing kicks in 1st like it wants to throw you off it like a horse, zippin past everythin round bends it was the bollocks.
im gettin my self i geared 50 now probaly a tzr-50...must have gears twist n go sucks!

50cc twist and go suck yes,125 do under 100mph with just a bore kit Laughing.
Wouldn't feel right on the back of a 125 geared there too skinny and small quality bike tho the mito Thumbs Up

Monkfish
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 07 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mito was sayin 110 and as far as i know its standard well full power anyways. i actually found it quite comfortable although your wrists get a bit knackered under hard braking

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:13 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Pillion riding Reply with quote

Hey, it's my first post, be gentle!
Just wanted to know what the age is before you're allowed to have pillion passengers? Someone told me it was 21, but I'm not sure, they're not that reliable Very Happy
Also do you need to have a full bike licence to have a pillion, or will a provisional do?
Only 16 with a stupid twist-and-go and the mo, but moving up to a Derbi GPR-50 soon, can't wait!!

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:43 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings and salutations! Thumbs Up

To take a pillion, all you need is a full licence and a suitable machine. (It has to have a pillion seat and pillion footpegs.) They have to wear a helmet, and that's it. Age isn't an issue, so long as you have the full licence, which of course you can't get until you're 17.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:03 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, that's what I was hoping. I was under the illusion that you couldn't get a full licence until 21, thanks for clearing that up!

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 09:23 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many misconceptions of the motorbike licence from the outside world. It was only the other day I was argueing with some bloke in a shop just because he kept saying you can't ride anything over a 600 til you are 21, he thought the 33BHP restriction was a load of bollocks and refused to believe me. Rolling Eyes
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't having a 600 pointless when you're restricted to 33bhp anyway though? Doesn't a 125 have that sort hp when derestricted? Then again, I can see the upside to it not sounding like a wasp in a jam jar... Razz Hey, who am I to talk, I'm still stuck on 50s!

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:21 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Isn't having a 600 pointless when you're restricted to 33bhp anyway though?

The point is that after your 2 year restricted period all you have to do is take the little washers out of the carb and fiddle with the jets a bit to get 60BHP out of it, however if you chose a 125 derestricted apart from sounding like a wasp you would have to fork out on yet another new bike and loose more money when you came to get more power.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 10 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah true, I'll keep that in mind when I come to it. Also, you can always be naughty and derestrict it before it's legal...*slaps wrist*
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1