Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Last one I promise - New Laptop n00b Help / Buying Advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:50 - 24 Nov 2015    Post subject: Last one I promise - New Laptop n00b Help / Buying Advice Reply with quote

Lads,

Last thread I promise, been delaying it and delaying it, mainly because of Windows updating every time I went to look. Laughing

Anyway, the time has come and now everything is Windows 10 it makes sense, I'm buying one.

Budget of £500 - £800ish. I know you can get much better specs for the money at the higher end of the budget. (I don't know alot about what these specs mean though. Laughing )

I don't know whether to get i5 or i7, I expect I'll have the laptop for a good amount of time, may even try and start mucking about with a GoPro at some point and try editing etc. Also will want to use Sketchup 3D.

So... Minimum specs wanted:

Windows 10 pre-installed
i5 (or i7)
8GB+ RAM
15.6 or 17" Full HD screen
1TB+ Harddrive
Some kind of dedicated Graphics card? Nvidia GEforce keep coming up.

and mega bonus points for a backlit keyboard!!

Best I've found so far is this for £649

15.6". Windows 10. 6th Gen i5. 12GB RAM. 2TB Hard-drive. Backlit keyboard. Nvidia GeForce 940m 2GB Dedicated. 1920x1080 full HD.

Or.. the abobe with a 17" screen and i7-6500u processor for £745.

But be great if you lot bunged in your suggestions so I can compare other makes and models etc!

With the addition of black friday coming up I suppose I better hold out to see. But my student discount will run out very soon so those deals above would normally be £150 more.

Cheers lads.

Thumbs Up Karma
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:20 - 25 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone? Laughing

What's people's thoughts on HP laptops? Envy model.

Suppose they are all just much of a muchness nowadays..?

Cheers.
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 25 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
What's people's thoughts on HP?


I had to wipe Windows 7 from the HDD of a HP tower that came preinstalled with Windows 7 recently, when I attempted to reinstall Windows 7 using a third party disc and the code of the side of the machine it wouldn't do it and came up telling me to contact HP. I tried, got bored of going round in circles on their website so went with another OS.

Moral of story: keep the windows installation disc in a safe place otherwise it's a giant ball ache.

Hopefully this is slightly useful. Praying
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:28 - 25 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dick! Laughing

If it comes pre-installed with Windows 10 I should in theory have no issues other than MAK errors (me being a monkey at keyboard..)

Mr. Green Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 25 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
I had to wipe Windows 7 from the HDD of a HP tower that came preinstalled with Windows 7 recently, when I attempted to reinstall Windows 7 using a third party disc and the code of the side of the machine it wouldn't do it and came up telling me to contact HP. I tried, got bored of going round in circles on their website so went with another OS.

Moral of story: keep the windows installation disc in a safe place otherwise it's a giant ball ache.

Hopefully this is slightly useful. Praying


I'm fairly sure that when you get Windows with a manufacturer, you get an serial that works for their version of Windows, not general installations. So you either install their version again, or get a new serial.

I fully think this isn't acceptable, so believe it's morally acceptable to run a cracked copy of Windows instead.

In fact, I'll only exclusively use cracked Windows products now after several years ago the installation code for the copy of Windows that I genuinely chose to buy instead of stealing refused to work. If they're going to be such dicks that codes I bought with my own money stop working, my own money won't buy their codes.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 25 Nov 2015    Post subject: Re: Last one I promise - New Laptop n00b Help / Buying Advic Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
Budget of £500 - £800ish.


https://www.cclonline.com/product/189667/9S7-179221-446/Laptops/MSI-GE72-2QC-Apache-17-3-Intel-Core-i7-5700HQ-16GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-DVD-RW-Windows-10-Gaming-Laptop/NOT01960/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:30 - 28 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use games, get a desktop. Laptops are meant to be portable not to be good at games. Personally I use a 13" laptop since I can carry it in a bag all day without it feeling like I'm carry a bag of rocks. The performance of the CPUs is also pretty weak compared to the desktop versions, a mobile i5 will have about half the cache and half the cores of its desktop counterpart. i7 can have up to 4 cores. A powerful discrete GPU alongside powerful CPU will just suck all the juice from the battery at a stunning rate, so you'll have to plug it in, and to might as well just have got a desktop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:40 - 29 Nov 2015    Post subject: Re: Last one I promise - New Laptop n00b Help / Buying Advic Reply with quote

From the Dell Outlet, I got a 9530 (replaced by the 9550 now) for just under £700+ vat I think - so a little over your budget in this spec...
15" 4k touch screen
Backlit keyboard
i7
16gb
970m 2GB
512gb SSD
91kwh LiPo battery
All in a pretty light/compact package, though that doesn't worry me - hopefully my next one will be a chunky 'workstation' 17/18" 4k screen model - alas you don't get 4k in those sizes yet.

Wouldn't be my choice for games sat in one place - but coding and being moved around pretty well.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lads.

I've bitten the bullet and ordered it at the weekend, arrived yesterday.

Meh, I'm happy. It's nice to have a laptop that actually does something when you click!

17.3" 1920x1080 full HD. Windows 10. 6th Gen i7-6500u. 12GB RAM. 2TB Hard-drive. Backlit keyboard. Nvidia GeForce 940m 2GB Dedicated.

Liking it so far, seems everything is an 'app' now...

Here's to being able to post on BCF from home now Laughing Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 305 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.5 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 67.8 Kb