Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bit the bullet; bought the dream

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 15 Dec 2015    Post subject: Bit the bullet; bought the dream Reply with quote

So, whilst insurance companies fight over the ZX10R's claim, I sold the bike to a breaker for a very decent price and used the money as deposit for this-

https://i.imgur.com/BBXZuWF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KprY19V.jpg

2012 Multistrada 1200S Touring. Absolutely immaculate condition, only done 4100 miles. It has a fair bunch of extras on it too, Garmin sat-nav, R&G crash protection on frame, bar ends, rear axle and front forks, Ducati touring tinted screen, 3m paint protection. Tyres are brand new PR4s, it couldn't have been more perfect if it had my name as a private plate.

Many of you have probably seen me endlessly bumming these things up and putting my money where my mouth is, I bought it without a test ride to prove my confidence.

Rode it home in rush hour traffic in Urban mode (100bhp mapping with soft suspension), took it to work a few times in touring mode (150bhp map with lowered sensitivity throttle, stiffened up a bit) and I still didn't find it living up to how I'd hyped it up. It was still a good bike, but not the elusive perfection I had hoped it would be. Took it out a night when it wasn't raining in Sport mode (150bhp full whack throttle, stiffened up shocks) and that was it. Absolute rocketship. It feels litre-bike fast, and it very nearly is - it's faster over a quarter mile than a 600cc sports bike. Bang on what I was hoping for. That sort of performance on a comfy bike with massive panniers and a top box is just amazing. The top box will take two XL full face helmets, so far I haven't managed to fill it with daily shopping plus my work kit. I haven't even needed the panniers yet.

The only complaints I have so far is that the engine is quite lumpy under about 3k, but this is fairly common among Duc's so I wasn't surprised. The brake pedal is oddly slippery as well. Oh, and the keyless fob doesn't have any keyring loops on it...

https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj249/ddd269shoot/88fb44aa.jpg

Seat height isn't great for someone 5'5" but I managed the GS, so I'll manage this. It's narrower so it's easier to reach the floor.

All in all, very happy. I plan to get a few things for it to make life a bit easier, fog lights and so on.

BumpingUglys
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:10 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thing, glad you're pleased with it Thumbs Up

With regards to the lumpiness, a lot of the fuel injected Ducati's run too lean at low rpm, supposedly to keep emissions down, causing lumpiness, spluttering etc.

Generally the way round this is an aftermarket exhaust with no lambda sensor, coupled with a reflashed/mapped ECU.
An alternative is the FatDuc O2 Manipulator, which sits between the lambda sensor and the ECU and alters the voltage signals, essentially spoofing the ECU. The 2012 Multistrada isn't mentioned on their compatibility list, though previous years are. It might be worth dropping them a line and seeing what they say.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:22 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work.

Definitely on my list too - I just need to get myself over spending a load of money on a vehicle that will do hardly any miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Nice work.

Definitely on my list too - I just need to get myself over spending a load of money on a vehicle that will do hardly any miles

That's why I was happy with it. I use my bike for work, fun rides on days off, bit of touring, everything. You can get decent 2010 models now for low in the £7k bracket.
BumpingUglys wrote:
Nice thing, glad you're pleased with it Thumbs Up

With regards to the lumpiness, a lot of the fuel injected Ducati's run too lean at low rpm, supposedly to keep emissions down, causing lumpiness, spluttering etc.

Generally the way round this is an aftermarket exhaust with no lambda sensor, coupled with a reflashed/mapped ECU.
An alternative is the FatDuc O2 Manipulator, which sits between the lambda sensor and the ECU and alters the voltage signals, essentially spoofing the ECU. The 2012 Multistrada isn't mentioned on their compatibility list, though previous years are. It might be worth dropping them a line and seeing what they say.

I've read up about that sensor, there are other ways you can disable it as well. It's not that bad as long as you aren't in Urban mode. The one you linked lists the Multistrada 1100 which was a big air cooled motor, different ball game altogether. I'll get it sorted eventually but I don't mind too much, I'm used to the ZX10R which idles in first at like 13mph, 18mph if it's just started cold.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't they join up the rear mudgard bits. Looks bloody stupid.

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Looks even weirder with an aftermarket exhaust, there's no "mudguard" part of the swingarm because it's single sided, so the crap starts to coat the back of the cat box. I already hose my bikes down before putting them in the garage, but if I didn't, it would be a bit of a concern.

You can see it here-
https://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/ProdImages/D13-25_lg.jpg

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:11 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Because people don't want a huge mudguard, but some EU directive or other says that there has to be a mudguard within x distance of the license plate. VAG, being the 'pragmatists' that they are, decided to add an ancillary mudguard to solve the problem.

Or so the apocryphal justification I heard goes.

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent choice, ive just got a red one and have been doing plenty of reading on them. It looks like CJS in bristol is one of the best tuners for these and the earlier single spark engines can make more power than my twin spark, 150 at the wheel should be nice.

Only down side is that an exhaust and rr tune can be a grand... Still cheaper than the termigoni system.

As for the lower mud guard, 3 bolts and its off but it is a very effective crap catcher this time of year.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:33 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted one of these Thumbs Up

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
some EU directive or other says that there has to be a mudguard within x distance of the license plate.

Tis not true. My bike came without a rear mudguard at all, although it does have one now.

The little one at the back to stop crud going up your back.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 01 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its at least a couple of years off yet (unless the ZX6 uexpectedly explodes), but part of me is very tempted to try something like this instead of a litre sportsbike when I get my next bike Thinking. Worried I may regret it or miss the riding style though as I do really fancy something like an R1, Panigale, S1000 etc.

Can't put my finger on it, but something about these Multistrada's in particular is quite appealing though. Would definitely be more comfortable and suitable for longer touring trips too. I might have a look at trying to get a test ride on one at some point to see how I find it.

Probably the tidiest looking stock exhaust i've seen in ages too Thumbs Up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1