Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First green laner?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

alliasjay
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:54 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: First green laner? Reply with quote

Greetings.

I am looking at getting into green laning, but as I haven't ridden any of the bikes I am looking at I'm not quite sure which one to go for.
It needs to be road worthy as I'll be using it to get to those green lanes but mainly for green laning purposes.

my details :
5ft 6 (Yes I'm shortish so need to be able to put my feet down)
60kg (I'm light but I'm a Personal Trainer so I'm pretty fit)
£2000 to spend

I can handle myself and even though I am a beginner to offroad riding I'm a very quick learner so I don't necessarily need to aim for a total beginners bike. Although I'm looking for something with easy maintenance. Not a full service every 5 mins Razz

The bikes I had been potentially looking at are:

KTM 400/450 EXC
Honda XR 400
Was looking at a DRZ400s but I'm not too sure.

I don't mind looking at 2 strokes but would need proper guidance :p even though they are even easier to maintain I would imagine.

hopefully someone can point me in the right direction Smile

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy my CRF250L which I'm going to be selling, well you can buy it now if you want, but needs new fork seals which will be done next Tuesdays, and as it happens £2000 is exactly the asking price

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is putting you off the DRZ400 ?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are still available and in good condition generally, Id say a WR250F would take some beating for a bike that your going to learn on and use a lot in dirt. It's the most flattering beginners enduro bike I have ridden, but I suppose it lacks the nice to have simplicity of the older Honda XR250/400's.

Ultimately it's what is available locally at the time in good condition and that has been really looked after. I don't think seat height is an issue with many of these bikes, but if it was then many are going to be similar, so there's not much to suggest different unless you go down to more road biased small trailies etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alliasjay
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:22 - 12 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean it's just total speculation for me and from what i've been looking into i'm not sure if the CRF250L will have enough oomph for me. Might do at the start, but then I'll soon be eager for more.

The DRZ seems really appealing, I was seing a few drzs which were kick start but now I'm spotting a few with electric start. That was the only thing really putting me off. Guess it's looking like the DRZ Wink

Thanks for your responses guys Wink

J D
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:04 - 12 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 450 exc I'm selling for 1750 Wink

spikenipple
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:30 - 21 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

J D would you take a p/x for my Firestorm and a bit of cash?

J D
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pm me some info and pictures please Thumbs Up

Cdb1991
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:58 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

id say go for a 2 stroker if your going enduro , they are soo much easyer to maintain and i ride with quiet a few other guys and each one on 2 stroke and say they wouldnt go 4 stroke, i have a kx 250 2stroke road registered and its a brilliant bike for green landing, ktm's are highly rated by alot of my friends for green lanes, me personlly i will only use 2 stroke for green laneing but dont get me wront id never say no to a 4 stroke, but would supermoto it though for sure
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1