https://bullitmotorcycles.com/nl/model/15/Hunt-125

Which is also essentially the Lexmoto Valiant

https://www.lexmoto.co.uk/XF125R.php

And ..

Shandong Pioneer XF125R(D)

https://xfmotor.com.cn/product/product62_en.html

Is the Bullit Hunt S

https://bullitmotorcycles.com/nl/model/16/Hunt-S-125

As I said before, I've seen one of the the black & red ones in the flesh, very nice looking bike, the fit and finish looks good on them.

So, whilst I'd be tempted to go with the Lexmoto, it is cheaper afterall, I do prefer the paintwork on the Bullit, but yu're lookikng at paying an extra £250 or so for the paint, even more if you go for the upgraded Bullit Hunt S, which Lexmoto don't have an equivalent model.

Either way, parts should be easy to come by.

WK also sell a similar looking retro 125, but I think that's made in Taiwan.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:15 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess to put it in perspective, Yamaha have had no problem selling literal boatloads of YZF-R125s and MT-125s with monthly payments about 2.5x as much as a Chinese 125, and 2-year depreciation that exceeds the total price of the Chinese bike.

There is demonstrably a market for folk who want to pay a premium to get what they consider to be a desirable 125. What a dull world it would be if we all rode the same bike.

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting links but no review telling me how long the bike will last. What common faults they have. What's going to go wrong and how much it will cost to maintain.

I'm not having a go because they are Chinese copies. I just generally don't believe many bikes are perfect and have absolutely zero faults. Sinnis, Ducati, Yamaha, or even the Triumphs which I lust over so much.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Never said they won't have faults, all bikes, cars, pretty much anything mechanical or electrical will have faults at some point. I was just saying, it's not too much of a risk, and certainly not the risk it was 10 years ago, as quality has definitely improved. But just like anything else, you can get stung by it somewhere along the way. Just the odds or getting badly stung are somewhat reduced now for chinese bikes, compared with what they used to be.

Cheers

Tony

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Hi

Never said they won't have faults, all bikes, cars, pretty much anything mechanical or electrical will have faults at some point. I was just saying, it's not too much of a risk, and certainly not the risk it was 10 years ago, as quality has definitely improved. But just like anything else, you can get stung by it somewhere along the way. Just the odds or getting badly stung are somewhat reduced now for chinese bikes, compared with what they used to be.

Cheers

Tony

Maybe not to you, but to a young lad who knows jack shit about motorcycles it is a risk. My son had a chinese POS that despite my best efforts still managed to snap a chain and stop at the first hint of rain.

If you know what you are doing and go in with your eyes open, fine. To suggest one to a person who comes on here, asking for advice for a bike for his son, who obviously isn't well up on his bikes I do not think is the correct response.

Pepi1967
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:25 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I want to thank you all for taking the time to reply to this thread. I know I've already said it but putting yourselves out to do research on the bikes etc is fantastic so on behalf of myself and my son thank you very much.

To me and to him spending £1200 or so on a bike and another God knows how much on insurance and equipment is daunting so I wanted to make sure I did as much for him as I could hence this thread. It's taken him over two years to save up for his bike and I've saved enough to help towards the rest but money has been tight so I'm scared of him making a mistake.

Chinese bikes are tempting because of the low price but I also know you get what you pay for so its a balancing act trying to get the best quality for what he can afford. I know that anything mechanical breaks down and I accept there will be times when he's getting the spanners out but I would rather that be the exception rather than the rule.

so that said for us a Chinese bike is not going to be what he will end up with. For us that's to much of a risk. I know that Honda Yamaha etc etc all have issues but at least they have a big following and parts and information are readily available.

We will be looking into the second hand market instead of new as we think getting a bike that has had some use and a good service history may be a safer bet as we will have a better understanding of its common problems and its history.

Maybe something like a CBR or similar. But we will of course be seeking your advise before parting with any cash.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great attitude Pepi. Thumbs Up

When I got my first bike at 17, I had a similar budget. I bought an 04' Honda XR 125. Enthusiast owned, kept in decent condition.

I rode about on it for a year, serviced it (minimally) myself, and sold it over a year later for about £50 less. If that's not value for money I don't know what is.

There are (literally) thousands of threads on here just like yourself looking for a reliable first bike. The main consensus is > Buy something 2nd hand that is Jap. Honda etc. The CBR / XR / CG are all highly reliable and impressive, so long as you use common sense when viewing / buying.

You won't go far wrong asking on here, keep us updated! Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used YBR/CG125 and you'll get all your money back if he doesn't twat it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thought out Thumbs Up

Get something made by a mainstream manufacturer who has a dealership in your area and you won't go far wrong.

You know that here is a mechanic with the full backing of the manufacturer who can fix your bike if it does go wrong. Yes, you are going to pay but it will be done. There is no guarantee of that with a generic Chinese bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2