Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Which drill?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:54 - 18 Jan 2016    Post subject: Which drill? Reply with quote

I need help from real men who use actual tools. I have reached the point in my life when it would be appropriate to buy a drill.

I need to be able to do a bit of everything with said drill, screwing in screws... Masonry and wood.

Uncle Google threw up that a hammer drill option would be needed. 18v and as many mah battery as possible. I think cordless would be the best option.

I want something that works really well when I do use it so don't want cheap rubbish.

Brands like Milwaukee, dewalt, makita are thrown up in results but I would appreciate some real world experience.

Budget would be around £150 give or take £50
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:58 - 18 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT SAFE FOR WORK:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKBi-eVW8AAjGeR.jpg
____________________
Current Bikes: BMW K1200S
Previous: Honda CBR929RR, Honda CBR1100XX, Honda CB600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:03 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got 2 ryobis and a makita, cannot go wrong!

the makita is a completely different ballgame when it comes to drills.

so much powah!!!
many battery life
____________________
Fin: no matter how much I look at It I can't understand what was going through my head, all I remember is going about 80 and redlining it to stop it seizing.
360 Deg... Five 1/4 turns. :- Teflon-Mike 18 Jan 2015
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised I have posted in the wrong section - this proves what a nugget I am and shouldn't be allowed power tools.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ReadySalted
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:13 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used my father's dewalt battery drill which is a few years old but feels so heavy and the batterys take forever to charge. I have a bosch one which was recently on offer from B&Q. I think it was about 50 quid down from around 85 quid and I think it's brilliant. 18v, and very lightweight and nice to hold. Strong too- As a test I used it for undoing the allen bolts on my rear brake disc and although I wouldn't advise doing it, it did manage.

Makita generally make good kit, and ryobi seem to be popular. I think ryobi stuff uses the same battery for a host of tools, but I'll let you decide how much of a benefit that is. For me personally, the only tool I really need with a battery is my drill so it wouldn't be that much of a selling point.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ReadySalted
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:16 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.diy.com/drills/bosch-cordless-18v-li-ion-hammer-drill-2-batteries-psb1800/1131623_BQ.prd

Was on offer for about 50 quid before crimbo, but still not bad for the price it is now. I've used mine loads and its a good bit of kit. No experience of bosch tools previously but so far so good. You can probably shop around and find it cheaper online anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cdb1991
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 10 Jan 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:34 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use dewalt drills i brought about a year ago and use alot and still work fine battery power is good and only takes 20-30 mins to charge , comes with 1 x battery charger 2x battery 1x impact gun and 1xdrill cost me £150 and cant fault it in anyway

Their yellow lol and says on the side dewalt xr li-ion not sure if thats a model name but i rate these, also makita make some good drills i think about simular price
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:42 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pdg rates his dewalt.

I rate my Ryobi.
____________________
Mpd72: I can categorically say i’m Brighter than that, no matter how I come across on here.
HAHAHA HAHAHA Blew Chilly MyCrowSystems
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:50 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Re: Which drill? Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Which drill?
I need help from real men who use actual tools....I need to be able to do a bit of everything with said drill....I want something that works really well when I do use it so don't want cheap rubbish.

Makita....Every time.
____________________
A good loser will always be a loser.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave_R
Nova Slayer



Joined: 18 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:29 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has already been mentioned, but you might also consider what else the battery can be used for, or in other words, which manufacturer's battery system do you want to buy in to? Most, if not all manufactures use a common battery for their range of cordless tools.

Once you have your drill and batteries, you're open to the world of "body only" cordless tools, they don't come with batteries, charger or a case, but they're dead cheap.

My personal preference is Makita, decent value if you shop around, especially the body only stuff. From my own experience and what I hear, they're powerful, robust and reliable. Almost every power tool I see on the sites I work at are Makitas.

I also like Makita as a company. Makita do strange and fun things like a coffee maker and electric bicycle that are powered off their 18V LXT batteries. And, they're one of the few large tools companies left that haven't been bought out by a blood sucking multinational corporation.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:00 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my lines of work is general landscaping and maintenance. Do a fair bit of fencing, decking and suchlike. Can recommend the Makita 18v stuff, been going strong for a couple of years now with no issues regardless of being out and working in all weathers. Anything that'll knock deckboards through with no predrilling has my seal of approval Laughing
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:03 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_R makes a good point btw, I use a mix of Hilti and Makita (plus some corded 110v gear) and it really does pay to keep to a single system for ease of charging. Plus bare carcasses are much cheaper if you've got the batteries to run them.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

drzsta
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:05 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milwaukee gear is top stuff and is my own gear. We had makita gear supplied by work which is also good.

To be honest you can't go far wrong with any of the brands nowadays just get something with a decent battery e.g. 4/5ah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:08 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Makita at work, we've managed to kill one of them (gearbox death) in around 6 years of regular use.

The other half of my department use dewalt, arguably they get less of a beating with the sort of work they do. They've had two die from a fucked chuck and the batteries are cack. They're being replaced with Makita as we speak.

When you say masonry do you just mean drilling a couple of small holes in brick to hang a picture, or are we talking full on big holes in heavy duty concrete? If the latter you'd probably want to go down the SDS corded route. Otherwise the Makita battery drills will handle the usual DIY stuff.

This is the drill we're using to replace the old dead ones https://m.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp453rfw-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-cordless-lxt-combi-drill/7186f as they don't make our originals any more. It feels very well made. 3ah is enough for most people, though they do a 4ah model for another £30 if you're really worried about battery life.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:38 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makita all the way Thumbs Up

18v L-ion battery, just make sure you get one that comes with 2 batteries.

1 hr charge so you are never without power.

Brilliant kit. Thumbs Up
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:39 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be lazy. Use a drill for DRILLING
Use a Screwdriver for undoing screws
Use a SPANNER for undoing nuts and bolts.

I took a bike of a trailer at half past three on Thursday, and had it stripped to the frame before it was dark at half four, with no more than four spanners and a screw-driver! AND without rounding out or rounding off any of the nuts bolts or screws.

I own two hand drills. Both have wires. Little hassle to flake out a extension cable when they are needed, and have 240v not just 18 and 13Amps.. so a full 2000 Watts, with no 'drop off' available.. and no hunting for a charged battery to start with!

Both are 'cheap'. One sits on the shelf to be 'abused' with rotary wire brushes and shit in its chuck... no point buying a 'good' drill to fuck up with such bearing breaking hooliganism. In fact,a (corded) angle grinder would often be the more appropriate tool for such jobs, and so is.

Other one stays in its box, on the shelf on top of the box of 'precision' cobalt drill bits... and is brought ot ONLY when I need to make a precision piercing... such as drill out a credibly stubborn bolt, or make a hole in a bracket. Here the drill BIT is far more important than the drill... so similarly the 'good stuff; is saved for this purpose.

Screws are tackles with screw-drivers.. proper ones not stupid multi-bit kits!
Nuts and bolts are tackled with plain simple spanners..
ONLY when these simple hand tools are found to not be able to apply enough force, or access hampers their use, do I reach for a socket set , even, let alone a 'power-tool', and never a power tool that don't have the power 'cos it is limited to what's in a battery!

A 'cheap' drill, on the other hand, saved only to do the job it was designed, and given a chance to do it with decent bits, is likely to do the job, do t well, do it accurately and still last a very long time.

No point buying an 'expensive' drill, to fuck up abusing it as anything but a drill, or having an expensive drill ad cheap drill bits for to to wear out in double time.

As my old woodwork teacher at school once remarked, an experts skill is in his hands, and hand tools are an extension of them hands.. power tools? Just let fools fuck-up faster.

Learn to use the basics properly, first.
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:46 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've killed two black and decker drills in the past three years - I work in an office so they've not been abused on a building site!

I know a couple of trades peeps who claim dewalt are B&D in a yellow case trying to get back into the trades market.

They all use Makita or Bosch and buy from screwfix

I couldn't afford the above so got a large and bulky SDS drill from Aldi for £50 which has not let me down yet.
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:53 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
I've killed two black and decker drills in the past three years - I work in an office so they've not been abused on a building site!

I know a couple of trades peeps who claim dewalt are B&D in a yellow case trying to get back into the trades market.

They all use Makita or Bosch and buy from screwfix

I couldn't afford the above so got a large and bulky SDS drill from Aldi for £50 which has not let me down yet.


DeWalt are certainly owned by B&D though they are better kit than B&D which is purely DIY crap.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:11 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the point about two batteries, but generally when one is flat you'll have been working long enough that you fancy a cuppa. The batteries go from flat to full in around 20 minutes.

I'd have a 20 minute tea break every hour or two and save the extra £80 or whatever a decent 3-4ah battery would cost you. The only reason I'd want multiple batteries is for multiple tools, and even then I'd want most other stuff at 240v (angle grinders, sanders etc...).
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:49 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a Makita cordless drill. Incredible bit of kit.

My favourite bit about it is the keyless chuck. I've used a few keyless chucks over the years, this one is the easiest to use. Means that if we're working on a bike and the drill is nearby is will get used as a drill and a screwdriver.

It has enough power to drill through plenty of metal - certainly we can drill for an hour with it, then switch the battery for the other one (one hour charge). Slightly galling for me is that it is lighter and easier to use than my own corded drill.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:25 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad runs a small building company, swears by Makita.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:34 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my stuff is Makita.

Good bits of kit.

Stick to one type of battery, the bodys of the different tools are relatively cheap but they hammer you for the batteries.

If you can stretch, get the hammer drill + impact driver pack. You may not think you need an impact driver, but for driving screws nothing beats them.
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:54 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Makita and it's very, very good indeed. I'd recommend them every time. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a value for money point of view I would recomend Worx, up there with the Dewalts and Makitas at a fraction of the cost, if you really want to push the boat out go for a Panasonic , best of the best but very expensive.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.36 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 136.31 Kb