Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CB750F DOHC Review

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

venari
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:47 - 24 Jan 2016    Post subject: Honda CB750F DOHC Review Reply with quote

The legendary Honda CB series of bikes has long been recognised for reliability, build quality and practicality. BUT, when I was out riding one of the earliest DOHC bikes - the CB750F - it surprised me enough to compel me to write a bit of a ‘revised’ review on this future classic.

You see, the books have this bike down as a reliable run-around with a ‘sensible’ balance of power, weight and handling but I see the bike quite differently...

I have experimented with a multitude of bikes in my time, from focussed track missiles to Harleys and Goldwings, I’ve even done my fair share of two stroke riding. I should also mention that I have ridden some other very popular all-rounder bikes such as the fazers and bandits of this world but none have shocked me by the all round pleasure of riding a big old CB750F.

For a long time now people have praised the old CB500s which were a massive hit with commuters and delivery riders but also ended up having their own race series (still going strong now with Thundersport!!!) and I would be tempted to place this particular CB750 in a category with these smaller bikes. I feel they have more in common with the CB500s than the older Single OHC CB750s of previous eras.

You hit the start button and that warm purr starts bouncing off the nearest buildings. A gentle increase in throttle and the purr changes to more of a roar. The weight of the bike when stopped can seem a little daunting to smaller riders and I’m not going to tell you the handling is sublime because quite simply put, it’s not. But the eagerness of that inline four and the reassuring feedback from the torquey old beast gives the rider a new found confidence.

The throttle won’t rip your face off but it will whisper ‘go on, just a bit more’ to you through the rasp of the exhaust note. The sound yanks your hand around the grip as the front wheel becomes weightless. With such an upright seating position you can see three cars ahead to that open road and before you know what’s happening you’re at the front of the queue.

Country roads and city streets are where this bike was made for. With no fairing you’ll need a pretty good lawyer to sue Honda for a whiplash claim if you take it out on the motorway.

“It won’t sit still” - that’s how one friend put it when he borrowed it for a trip up north. It’s eager beyond its years and as keen to overtake as any 65 plate on the roads.

The weight somehow makes it feel immovable in the bends. Even with the narrower wheels than a modern sportsbike this thing will happily explore winding roads at full speed, it’s just not as refined or somehow as natural as a sports bike.

I guess it takes some getting used to. I rode this bike on and off for around 2 years and got to know it pretty well. I felt it was looked down on a little by some of the sports bike riders but I never had a problem keeping up with them and my chiropractor’s bills were much lower than theirs.

Overall I have to give the CB750 10 points for effort. The brakes are a little lacklustre, the styling is pretty ugly and it corners like a rabid dog but my god can it still keep up with your mate on his brand new 600cc. Especially if you’re looking for fun in your riding. Versatility with a hint of vengeance…

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:52 - 24 Jan 2016    Post subject: cb750 Reply with quote

How much you selling it for! Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1