|
|
| Author |
Message |
| NJD |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NJD World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Mar 2015 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:41 - 13 Mar 2016 Post subject: What grease (to lube parts) and where? |
 |
|
I consider this more on the mechanical and workshop side than general bike chat, please do move (moderator) if needed. Thankyou and possible apologies (for possibly being in the wrong section) in advance.
Story time. Recently I had a mini scare in that I thought I had a gearbox issue and it turns out was* fixed by a few adjustments and lubrication of a few parts. I had the mechanic show me what parts need lubing but forgot what grease he advised. I recall him telling me that they lube all the parts on services and since my chinese tiddlers services are close together the lube lasts but to me that just doesn't sit right in that I'd like to have some grease at home and apply when and if ever it's needed outside of services. Proofs in the pudding that the grease on the gear shift linkage had been completely washed off by riding through winter.
Hopefully a question or topic that helps others.
So (and if you could provide links to the products you buy that would help) what grease / lube do you use on your servicing or in general and where? Basically looking for a somewhat mini breakdown.
- I purchased some "DP-60 copper grease" in a spray bottle but wasn't sure if that was the form that people where using for the back of their brake pads or if there was a gel type that you'd smeer on from a tub that I haven't yet found for sale?
- Also having watched delboys video about headstock bearing replacement he recommends that "LM2 Multi purpose grease" should be you're number one go to grease to have and use the most but all I could find was one called "carlube lm2 multi purpose grease" and didn't want to invest encase wrong type.
Pictures below just to see what type of lube my mechanic uses;
https://s28.postimg.org/9f72zqxi5/linkage_Copy.jpg
https://s30.postimg.org/yo2652rap/lever.jpg
https://s11.postimg.org/oiw6y9m7n/footpeg.jpg
I don't want to over complicate the most basic of jobs but just want to ensure that I have at least one tub or spray can of all the types of lube I'd need and what each one would be used for.
* Possibly fixed because has been fine since but limited riding. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:51 - 13 Mar 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
The greases I use most frequently are lithium general purpose for bearings etc, copper grease for anti-seize (yes you can buy it in tins or pots), silicon (dielectric) grease for electrical parts, red rubber grease for brake seals and pistons and molybdenum grease.
A pot of decent lithium grease and copper grease will get you started though  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| FlightRisk |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 FlightRisk Spanner Monkey

Joined: 08 Jul 2014 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pigeon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pigeon World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Sep 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NJD |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NJD World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Mar 2015 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:53 - 13 Mar 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Multi purpose / Lithium grease (same thing).
Copper grease.
Silicone grease.
Red rubber grease.
Got it. I think.
A quick read of the haynes manual for general lubrication comes back to a lithium based multi purpose grease for "Footrest pivots, clutch and brake lever pivots, brake pedal pivot and side / center stand pivots." I'm sure a read of the haynes for any other jobs where grease is required will provide the info as to what grease to use.
As above I'll stick with just multi purpose and copper for now and invest in the others should and when the need arise.
There's always more things to buy.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| talkToTheHat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 talkToTheHat World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Feb 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c_dug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c_dug Super Spammer

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 10 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|