Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Gummy carb cleaning recommendations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 14 Mar 2016    Post subject: Gummy carb cleaning recommendations Reply with quote

Hi all,

Has anyone got personal recommendations for a decent carb cleaner spray?

Are all the brands pretty much the same stuff, or are some better than others?

Or has anyone had any experience with another non-specific solution?

Or, are ultra-sonic baths the proper way to go?

Moochas grassy arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:45 - 14 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

pure acetone is great for cleaning them, but will damage rubber bits

ultrasonic cleaners are supposedly the best thing for carbs - never used one my self
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:21 - 14 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ran out of carburetor cleaner, I used a brake cleaner, as the inscription on the can suggested it won't harm rubber seals nor hoses of the braking system. Now I use a chain cleaner, the same idea. An degreaser that is not harmful to the rubber/plastic bits of the carburetor and gets all the dirt deposits off. Thumbs Up
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jun 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 14 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Seafoam, available on Ebay. I left it to sit for a day (full can) before I went for a good razz. It definitely helped, but not to the ridiculous extent some claim on the internetz. It didn't save my marriage, make the dinner or enlarge my penis
____________________
CBR600 F3 FV
CG125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 14 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

For removing varnish, soaking in acetone for a couple of hours then plunging into boiling water has done a good job for me in the past.

As above, take any plastic and rubber bits off/out before using acetone.

A run through the dishwasher does a surprisingly good job. As does a clean in hot, soapy water.

These days I usually put them through an ultrasonic clean with hot soapy water, followed by a rinse in hot water, followed by WD40, followed by spray solvent cleaner.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 14 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a really gummed up carb I tend to use a piece of soft copper wire or something like that to physically poke through the jets - assuming the fancy chemicals have failed.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:09 - 14 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the recommendations Thumbs Up

I've managed to source a second set of carbs, so can work on them off the bike. Brake cleaner is a suggestion I hadn't thought of...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 1.14 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 54.75 Kb