Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Downshifting technique

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 27 Apr 2016    Post subject: Downshifting technique Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Just looking for some advice on shifting down on track.

I've been trackdaying/racing an SV650 the last 2 years and it's something I've struggled with. I'm going fairly well with middle of the pack laptimes at club meetings.

I always was taught to blip the throttle and release the clutch between every gear, so if I'm going down 3 gears I'll quickly do this three times:-

• Pull clutch lever
• Blip throttle
• Hit gear lever
• Release clutch lever
[Repeat x2 more times]

It sounds longwinded but in reality you can do it quickly... but I'm finding when I go faster this takes too much concentration and can cause me to very the brake lever pressure when I rotate the throttle tube, meaning I only get 'full' braking after I've finished shifting. If I go in too hot I end up struggling to get it all done in time.

What does everybody else do? I'm thinking about learning to just hold the clutch in, drop all 3 gears then release the clutch smoothly with some throttle... It's hard to change habbits though.

No slipper clutch fitted. I do sometimes get a squirmy rear end going on but not too bad usually.

Would appreciate any comments.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 27 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you consciously performing a four stage process every time you change down?
I usually clutch in, downshift while giving it a flick of throttle at the same time then clutch out.
I've not been on a track though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 27 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Example - On Park Straight at Cadwell. 6th gear, pull clutch in at your braking point, bang it down 4 gears to 2nd as quick as you can blipping with each change. Let clutch out carefully,i.e. don't just let it go unless you are Sam Lowes and have a slipper clutch. Bet you if you do this your braking point will be less.
If you're trying to do good times on a trackday or racing you have to be aggressive, its not the road coming up to a pelican crossing.
Word of caution, you're doing quite a lot of things here at the same time - getting the braking a late ass poss, banging it down the right number of gears, blipping whilst braking and just keeping the back wheel hovering off the road, remembering to not just let the clutch go, making sure you do the line and the apex, being aware of other nutters coming up the inside who are either better or worse than you at this.
It's not as easy as many think to get it just right, The ones who do it without mistakes every corner lap after lap win or are the fastest.

OGR

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 27 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git, so are you saying you hold the clutch lever in for the whole time, only releasing it once you reach the final gear?

Yet you still blip the throttle for every gear you go down?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 27 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd brake down hard if dropping a few gears and just throttle up before releasing the clutch.
Doing it through each gear would be shifting the centre of gravity about too many times for my liking.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 27 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

loply wrote:
Old Git, so are you saying you hold the clutch lever in for the whole time, only releasing it once you reach the final gear?

Yet you still blip the throttle for every gear you go down?

No, that would be pointless. You'd need to release the clutch quickly, but not dumping it. If you don't have a slipper clutch, then you need to blip and release, to assist with braking and get it in the right gear. If you have a slipper clutch, like I do, then ease the clutch out after every change but at fast pace to do the same.

I tried both scenarios with a slipper clutch and to save my brain I take the second option and it works.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 28 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm saying hold the clutch in and drop 4 gears blipping it. There is a certain amount of drag even with the clutch in so you need to blip it, makes the gears go in easier.
If you're doing it right you don't have time to let the clutch out with every down change.
Go on you tube and find some races from Mallory going up to the hairpin, particularly 2 strokes, 5 rapid fire blips from top to bottom gear, clutch in.

OGR

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:25 - 29 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard that technique before, certainly haven't tried it. Is this specific to V-Twins, or all bikes?

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 29 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks old git, I'll probably give that a try next time. Something to think about.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:53 - 29 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 stroke motocross method...

throttle full open...brake,throttle full closed, clutch in, stamp down gears until you hit the right gear for exit speed, when exit speed reached, dump clutch and throttle full open.

Mechanical sympathy not a big thing in motocross Smile

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 29 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, someone please tell me how that even makes sense....Educate immediately

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:14 - 29 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:
Seriously, someone please tell me how that even makes sense....Educate immediately

I haven't used it, but it makes sense - removes all engine braking issues.

At maximum braking with the front brake, the rear wheel should be very light - just about to lift. At this point, the rear shouldn't have the capability to do any significant braking by friction - though presumably having the rear wheel slowed by the engine rather than the road could be beneficial.

Generally; it is common to gear down too early, which unsettles the bike more. However of course you don't want to leave it so late it causes problems turning in.

I have tried in the past

My favourite braking moment on track was still on an SV at lydden - I obviously didn't manage to keep the brake modulated quite right as I did a mini stoppy as I went down a gear.
Which worked quite nicely, as the rear wasn't in contact with the ground while down shifting and the whole process was quite smooth.

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 30 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 2-smoke MX there isn't really any engine breaking to be had/make advantage of, so taking it out of the equation totally makes sense.

As for on the track with a large 4t, then one should be on the power until the instant of hitting the brakes for a corner. Then frantic clutch in banging down the box with a blip and some slippage/partial engage for each gear.

Balance the throttle if long sweeper, back on the gas and 'squirt' out if not.

Job done!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1