Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Track pump recommendations?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:33 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Track pump recommendations? Reply with quote

I have a cheapo one I think it coat about £15, and has been good for a few years however it's getting knackered.

It has always been difficult to clip the Presta end on, so much so my missus can't actually do it.

The handle is fairly wobbly and it leaks air if the hose is pointed in certain directions.

Anyone know of any decent ones? Want sort of money are we talking for something reliable and sturdy? Must do both valves types and have a gauge.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a BBB one that's been going strong for about 6 years now.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Topeak Joe Blow. Had it for years, still works.
I have no idea what I paid for it, or what they cost now.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bontrager charger, I think. One of the plastic parts broke on mine (not my fault, I swear Rolling Eyes ), so I emailed the UK importer and a replacement turned up in the post the next day. Thumbs Up

Rigga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topeak Joe blow here too, great piece of kit they're about £30 I think.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 05 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a small compressor, much easier to use.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 05 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Just buy a small compressor, much easier to use.

A compressor is useful for a lot of stuff, but I'm not sure if most small compressors will go up to 120psi reliably. I find the track pump is quicker to use on bicycles. By the time I check what pressure the tank is, turn it on, get the inflator and presta valve converter, I can already have pumped the tyre up to 120+ psi with the track pump that's sitting right next to the compressor.

If I'm airing up car or motorcycle tyres then I agree, a compressor is a hell of a lot easier. I know this because I once pumped up a 235/85 16 tyre on a Series III landy with a track pump.
It took a while.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 05 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.lezyne.com/products-floorpumps.php

Mine has lasted well for three years. Sport floor drive maybe. Had to strip it down recently and clean the plunger/piston o-rings and its back up to full health. The chuck/valve connector is spot on and seals well.

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 For the Topeak Joe Blow. I have had the Joe Blow Sport (yellow one, so easy to find in the garage) for a few years now. The rubber seals need replacing every now and then in the head, but they sell the rebuild kit for that to keep it running as good as new for years.

someotherguy
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:50 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this.

https://www.lezyne.com/product-fpumps-hp-alloyY9.php#.V0jdM5ErJEI

It rules.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard anything bad about the Joe Blow, it's used by several serious cyclists I know. Personally I use the SKS Rennkompressor. Made out of cast iron (stability for the base), steel and with a wooden handle, it's an old-fashioned quality tool. And you can buy replacement parts easily if needed.

I started out with the traditional brass push-on head that is very fast for Presta valves, but then when the kids started needing Schraeder I changed it for the multivalve head (two holes). There is also an EVA head, that has a single hole that fits both types.

Previously I had a Park Tools one, with a plastic base that fell apart where the body screwed into it. For heavy use at high pressures I'd rather have something solidly built.

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a Joe blow with the mountain bikes, no issues up to about 80 PSI but after that I was pretty much lifting myself off the ground trying to get any more pressure in the tyre.

Switched to a fancy Birzman Zacoo Maha II now since everything I ride has 100-120PSI in the tyres. The funky head is different to all the pumps I've seen and works really well. Worth the premium imo.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good point; pumps are generally good at either high volume or high pressure. High volume has a wide barrel to shift lots of air quickly (ideal for big fat MTB tyres that run at low pressure). Narrow barrels let you easily get high pressure for road tyres, but take longer on MTBs.

The Rennkompressor is narrow, its gauge goes up to 240. I typically pump up to 120, it's not straining at all at that pressure.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
A compressor is useful for a lot of stuff, but I'm not sure if most small compressors will go up to 120psi reliably. I find the track pump is quicker to use on bicycles. By the time I check what pressure the tank is, turn it on, get the inflator and presta valve converter, I can already have pumped the tyre up to 120+ psi with the track pump that's sitting right next to the compressor.

If this is serious then you really need to sort yourself out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1