Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Really enjoying commuting by bicycle

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 25 Mar 2016    Post subject: Really enjoying commuting by bicycle Reply with quote

So yeah, motorbikes been off the road for a couple of weeks, and I've been cycling into work (6 miles each way). Always hated it the odd time I had to before, combination of uphill & d!ckhead car drivers (I can't accelerate away from), but now I'm really liking it.

Not that much difference in journey time either (urban commute), only going in for the early shift (at 6.30am) do I really save time on the motorbike, 20ish minutes vs 30ish minutes cycling.

So what's wrong with me? Confused

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 25 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
So what's wrong with me?

Nothing, you're enjoying commuting on two wheels. Just one without an engine. If the topic mentioned those ghastly four wheeled machines however. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Commuting constantly on a bike can get to you after a little while even without realising. The amount of small things you do to get from point a to b can sometimes become a slog and often a routine of getting through it and takes the fun out of riding every so often. At that mileage and I do similar I often spend more time faffing around than actually on the road when it should be the other way around.

Weather permitting use whatever one you feel like when you wake up, winters over. Using the bike for social short trips or rides around roads for no good reason might become more fun or appealing. Give the weather time to catch up though.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 25 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for making me feel (more) normal Smile I used to cycle 14 miles a day + similar or more mileage at work, and although I felt fit only realised when I stopped I was just fatigued. Also got sick of cycling on the roads, only really rekindled some warm feelings towards cycling by going on rides in the woods/nice parks etc.

I guess that's why I'm puzzled as to why I'm enjoying it now. Anyway the motorbike will be back on the road soon, if I find myself missing the bicycle I'll know something's really wrong Very Happy

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 26 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst thing about commuting to work on a push bike... you get properly into it after a while and end up hanging out with the crowds at work who are cycling enthusiasts. You'll eventually end up doing 40-60mile pub rides after work in summer and decide "ooh, I need a decend road bike".

Then, you'll soon discover that quite a few motorcyclists also dabble in a bit of mountain biking. You tag along with ANOTHER group, who then become pretty close mates. You spend silly money on mountain bikes, enter into cross-country/enduro/DH races and before too long, cycling becomes your primary hobby!

To think that it all started off with a humble £500 cycle to work bike, I seriously got into my aggressive trail riding/enduro racing within 18 months. You get to the point (depending where you live) where you actually enjoy taking the extremely long detour home via the hills and woods (3 miles into work, and it's not unheard of for me to do 20 miles of climbs and fast downhill runs immediately after work according to strava). If you have an open mind, it can lead you (and your bank balance) to new places which you wouldn't have otherwise considered.

That being said, you'll develop your skills off road which are transferrable to riding on wet greasy roads on your motorbike. And your leathers will thank you in summer by maintaining your figure.

Last edited by The Tot on 21:37 - 26 Mar 2016; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 26 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tot wrote:
. And your leathers will thank you in summer by maintaining your figure.

Unless you do a bit of lifting as well, then you'll have to take out your chest protector to fit into your leathers as you've gotten so hench. Wink

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 26 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Embarassed

Yeah, I know. Having leathers constantly altered is annoying! It's rather ironic that I started off cycling to lean out, which is what I've done. But, it's got me really active and into fitness. I can't help playing with chinup bars and dumbells in my spare time too Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 29 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tot wrote:
You spend silly money on mountain bikes

I've spent double what my motorcycle cost on 1 of my bicycles, I use my bicycle once every two weeks and my motorcycle every day Very Happy

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 30 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to get fed up commuting by pedaller, so take my Bandit, then flit between the two

I still havent lost any weight by pedalling - that's in over 5 years commuting my pedaller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 30 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to cycle to work (2 miles) but I end up driving because I can't be arsed getting caught in the rain. Those of you with an office job who cycle do you leave work clothes at work or what? Seems like more hassle than it's worth.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 30 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two miles is borderline walking rather than anything else!

When cycling (or motorbiking, come to that) I leave clothes at work and change there. Trousers and shoes live there (except for coming home for washing), I also leave a coat & comfy trainers there for lunchtime walks. I normally take a few shirts in at a time together with underwear in a garment folder.

For a two mile cycle in I'd likely be leaving an emergency change of clothes at work and riding in gently (not raising a sweat) wearing the shirt I'd intend wearing for the rest of the day. Ideally I'd change trousers though as they are likely to get grubby, unless it's summer. It really doesn't rain that often in this country, and if the forecast says fine and looking out has clear skies you are unlikely to get caught on your way in - and on the way home, who cares?

instigator.
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:06 - 30 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to cycle everyday to work, 9km each way. Now my commute is 37.5km each way, I'll try it once the days are long enough. I too much prefer it to riding a motorbike. I'd rather tour on a bicycle than a motorbike. Thumbs Up Just bought my first car after 14 years relying on a motorbike so even less time on motorized 2 wheels now. Thumbs Up Neutral

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 30 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Two miles is borderline walking rather than anything else!

When cycling (or motorbiking, come to that) I leave clothes at work and change there. Trousers and shoes live there (except for coming home for washing), I also leave a coat & comfy trainers there for lunchtime walks. I normally take a few shirts in at a time together with underwear in a garment folder.

For a two mile cycle in I'd likely be leaving an emergency change of clothes at work and riding in gently (not raising a sweat) wearing the shirt I'd intend wearing for the rest of the day. Ideally I'd change trousers though as they are likely to get grubby, unless it's summer. It really doesn't rain that often in this country, and if the forecast says fine and looking out has clear skies you are unlikely to get caught on your way in - and on the way home, who cares?

Awesome, I can get away with wearing a polo shirt in the office too which makes it easier, it's mostly downhill on the way to work too so shouldn't get too sweaty, will look into getting some over-trousers though Thumbs Up

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 30 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator. wrote:
I used to cycle everyday to work, 9km each way. Now my commute is 37.5km each way, I'll try it once the days are long enough. I too much prefer it to riding a motorbike. I'd rather tour on a bicycle than a motorbike. Thumbs Up Just bought my first car after 14 years relying on a motorbike so even less time on motorized 2 wheels now. Thumbs Up Neutral

Same here. My commute used to be about 15km, which was a good distance for being worth taking the bicycle, and roughly the same time as taking the car. Now my commute is about 60km each way. I sometimes do it by cycle - three times a week or so in summer - but it just adds so much time on to the day compared to a motorbike. 2 hours into work, 2.5 coming home (whilst lumpy, it is on average uphill coming home) rather than an hour or so each way with a motor.

It is sometimes faster on the cycle than the car!

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 30 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
I want to cycle to work (2 miles) but I end up driving because I can't be arsed getting caught in the rain. Those of you with an office job who cycle do you leave work clothes at work or what? Seems like more hassle than it's worth.

I bowl up to work with my full face, goggles and baggies. In my backpack are freshly ironed shirts each day. I leave my trousers and shoes there in my pedestal drawer. Also keep deoderant, babywipes and alcohol rub along with a moderately sized microfibre towel. We do have showers at work and ample changing facilities.

I much prefer cycling now that the clocks have moved forward and we're granted with an extra hour, meaning that I can head straight to the hills and session the DH tracks. Granted, I bowl into work dressed looking like that most days, which seems excessive. But saying that, muddy gear and backpack are testament to the fact that I love having my fun the moment I'm out the door.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/p960x960/12079797_10153720547770712_7313121836840390173_o.jpg

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 30 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tot wrote:
I can head straight to the hills and session the DH tracks. Granted, I bowl into work dressed looking like that most days, which seems excessive. But saying that, muddy gear and backpack are testament to the fact that I love having my fun the moment I'm out the door.

Are you kidding me!? DH tracks commute. Do you happen to work in a bike shop / cycle centre or something?

I wish I could do that, the nearest DH trails are 20 miles away for me Sad

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 30 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finternet wrote:
Are you kidding me!? DH tracks commute. Do you happen to work in a bike shop / cycle centre or something?

Well, the 417 FlyUp project is a 2 mile ride from my house. I live a 15min climb from some really nice DH tracks in Cranham, so it's just a straight 30 min climb from work. Some really fresh, loamy, gnarly playgrounds which the local riders have created over the years. Off camber, a few step downs, doubles... all natural. Put it simply, go on certain days to the layby on buckholt woods and you'd see guys hucking on Specialized Demo 8's and such like; all dual crown jobbies. Got a few decent local bike shops around here who maintain the trails.

I notice you live near me, so if you've got a decent trail rig, I'll happily show you the tracks up by Painswick/Cranham/Birdlip - Follow me on Strava. I regularly ride and enter enduro events with the guys from Noahs in Stroud. We ride on Wednesdays. Thumbs Up

Much prefer to shred Cranham and Leckhampton than head over into FOD. I'd say they're red/black graded around where I live.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 02 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a decent trail rig, haven't been riding regularly for a few years, just bought a downhill rig and am going to start downhill (can't pedal up yet as fitness isn't there), still have my old bike (xc Kona Manomano) which I think will handle the easier trails but is a bit small and uncomfortable. I didn't know there were many trails over that way, am definitely down to hit them some time.

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:44 - 13 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got back into cycling last year after losing 25kg in 2014.

It's turned into an expensive hobby after buying a £1300 Cannondale CAAD10 roadbike through the C2W scheme, quickly followed by a new mountain bike. Being a tight Yorkshireman, I couldn't resist a Cannondale Trigger 4 27.5 which was reduced from £2699 to £999 (about £1000 cheaper than anywhere else Shocked ).

Now I'm looking to upgrade again to something with a carbon frame, Ultegra and disc brakes.

As I live in the Pennines, my 5 mile ride to work can soon turn into a 15-20 mile ride home via some lovely hilly country lanes or bridleways depending on my mood and which bike I'm riding Cool

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 24 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get around my town quicker on a bicycle than I can by motorbike.

Going to venture out on the green lanes soon on my bicycle, and the bridleways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fiona84
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:01 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
The Tot wrote:
I can head straight to the hills and session the DH tracks. Granted, I bowl into work dressed looking like that most days, which seems excessive. But saying that, muddy gear and backpack are testament to the fact that I love having my fun the moment I'm out the door.

If I choose to ride through the woods, I could ride down the infamous Steel City DH run on my way home. But I'm not up for anything that technical just now (or probably ever lol!).
That's one of the reasons I won't get a road bike, I love being able to go off into the woods on the fire trails. It will certainly feel odd when I get on the motorbike properly, having to stick to the road route! It is technically an off road bike, but I have no idea where it is actually legal to ride off road.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1