Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Confessions of a former bike thief

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:50 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Confessions of a former bike thief Reply with quote

Published today at https://www.brixtonblog.com/confessions-former-bike-thief/37643 Has some good security tips:

Quote:
At first it was with basic wire cutters and the average bolt cutters you could buy in somewhere like Homebase. As time went on the tools upgraded to a pair of bolt cutters a friend bought in America for us on his holidays. These were 42-inch high toughened foldable bolt cutters, which would fit into a rucksack and would cut through any D-bar, or any chain.

Don’t be fooled by Kryptonite locks, they’re not as tough as made out to be. Also D-bars with tubular locks, never use them, they’re the most easy to pick with a little tool. It’s small and discreet, no noise and it looks like you are just unlocking your bike.

Never use a chain, they’re too easy to snip. Use a small D-lock on front and back wheels. If your lock can be moved about that means the thief’s bolt cutters can get around them. At the right angle they won’t. Stiff D-locks are hard to snip because you need the right angle on the cutters to get the force to close them.

Tubular lock pick: ‘They work by pushing into the lock and the pins would slide to meet the pins in the lock, which when tightened and released would make the pins align and therefore open it.’

get your bike sprayed with a special SmartWater device which is invisible and is basically like a DNA code on your bike and can only be seen under UV lights.

Bikes were never kept at home. They were always locked back up on the street. Somewhere, even outside police stations, locked up. If the police ever raided your house then no goods would ever be found....Trackers – Yes, they were a worry. But that is why we kept them on the street. If they were found, the police would simply just take it back.

I googled "Tubular lock pick" - they seem easy to buy:
https://www.walkerlocksmiths.co.uk/cylinder-picks-tools/tubular-lock-picks

Last edited by Undinist on 22:12 - 16 May 2016; edited 1 time in total

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tubular lock weakness has been known for years and doesn't need special tools.

Googling for kryptonite lock biro will find plenty of examples, e.g.
https://youtu.be/0hsM88Wx8QQ

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:35 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biro problem was fixed years ago.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 16 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
The biro problem was fixed years ago.

Ony if you count fixed as no longer using that type of lock.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 16 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have but a "." at the end of the link Opie

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 16 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardest locks to get through are the poundshop ones, they have lots of individual metal strands which are a real pain Smile Chains and d-locks unless they're really thick can be got through easily & quickly with bolt cutters. Don't ask me how I know Whistle

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been of the opinion that the only bike thief you're going to stop is the opportunist, if some piece of shit is determined to take it. it'll go matter what steps you take. Bastards.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
times were hard back then and unless you been there yourself, I don’t think that you would understand

At 16 years old... times were hard....

Quote:
I learned that my family is more important than having designer clothes on your back or expensive trainers, or loads of money.

How can this prick still justify himself. What a complete cunt.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 317 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1