Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Royal Enfield AVL drive nut removal

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Royal Enfield AVL drive nut removal Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/EpdMn0N.jpg

Wedgey not worky. Sad

Leaving it in gear with the rear brake locked on, the chains are bowstring-taut and it's not for budging.

Time to buy an impact gun?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:44 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger, bought myself a 4ft breaker bar, was the only thing I could shift the rear wheel nut and front sprocket on a vfr750, Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I can put enough torque on it to budge it without snapping or damaging the drive chains though. I'm just prevaricating about the bush a bit, I'm pretty sure I'll need to impact gun it.

On that, can anyone recommend an electric gun, or am I better off just biting the bullet (har har) and getting a compressor?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike


Last edited by Rogerborg on 13:52 - 30 May 2016; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a brass nut that jobbie , how about a bit of heat should warm up faster than the surrounding steel Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:55 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not looks plated, not brass. Might be threadlocked though so getting it hot might help a whole bunch.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll go and get some cannisters for my torch. Please continue the discussion in the best BCF traditions.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's anything like the front sprocket on my DRZ a 4' breaker bar won't work, I then bought an impact gun for £30 and it came off with two short blasts.
____________________
DRZ400-SM
FZS600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, why do you want it off? Wotcha doin?
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:22 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I don't think I can put enough torque on it to budge it without snapping or damaging the drive chains though. I'm just prevaricating about the bush a bit, I'm pretty sure I'll need to impact gun it.

On that, can anyone recommend an electric gun, or am I better off just biting the bullet (har har) and getting a compressor?


Roger, I have one of these

https://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-363436/clarke-cir13c.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwya-6BRDR3p6FuY2-u3MSJAD1paxTFl1XNDRuueHLf2XRXFZEROEqfTcLQjxsAXRFbJ8YwxoCZszw_wcB

Cheap as chips and got me out of a hole a few times BUT whether it's up to something you can't move with a breaker bar?
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be a bit leery of using heat on anything in situ on an engine
and try an impact gun/ breaker bar/ flogging spanner etc first
____________________
bikers smell of wee
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, heat did nothing except produce clouds of ATF smoke, and Pete was right (you'll be astonished), it's not a brass nut, it's just plated. Or was until I burned it off.

I don't want to snap my drive chain(s) by using a breaker bar, so I'll be impact wrench time. In my head this is more likely to rattle the nut free than to snap the chain, right? Thinking

I reckon I'll go with this un as claims up to 450Nm and I prefer mains, unless anyone can suggest something more suitable. 32mm deep impact socket is already ordered.

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Out of interest, why do you want it off? Wotcha doin?

Getting access to the one loose screw on the bottom of the electric start housing that's slowly but persistently allowing a fluid leak. It's just on the borderline of moppable-uppable but it's been bothering me for a while so I ordered up the four (!) specialist removal tools for the various drive bits and got stuck in, then got stuck.

It'll all have to come off eventually for a front sprocket change, or if the sprag spacks itself, so this is an "investment" I keep telling myself.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drive chain can handle the thuds of an enfield engine, many times a minute, for many years. I doubt you'll snap it with a breaker bar.

Alternatively, use a chain strap (like an oil filter removal tool) or make one with some chain and some manner of bar. Your current method is putting more pressure than I would like on the engine casing.

An impact gun might not get it off. My compressor driven one gets annoying spinny things off usually - like lower cambelt pulleys on cars - but if it's really tight then I need to find a way of locking it and using the big breaker bar.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you spoken to Draganfly? There's a couple of dudes there who know a thing or two about Beezers.
Also the Beezer clubs/forums are a bit more specialised than some of the spazed out buffoons on here. 😀
The impact gun will still stress the chain whether you like it or not. 😀
It may be more efficacious/safer to undo the primary chain and lock the teeth directly.
Then get your bar on it.
If you exhausted your efforts with 1/2"drive then may I suggest Bills Tool Store and pick up a 3/4" bar and socket. Even a 3/4" drive ratchet will do it. Then you will have a 3/4" drive ratchet to impress the chicks with.😎
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:18 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

An impact gun is a good thing to have and should remove that without damaging the primary chain. They're also good for removing gorilla tightened wheel nuts and the like. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:29 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
The drive chain can handle the thuds of an enfield engine, many times a minute, for many years.

41.3 Nm, or in scientific terms, 3 bags of sugar (less a cupful) hanging from the end of a 1.5 metre bar.

I can hear creaking from the locked up rear end even without using a breaker bar, so I've gone ahead and ordered an electric impact gun. I'll maybe see about getting the primary chain off as well and wedging the teeth directly.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger, I think definately with the chain tensioner out of the way and the chain off , would give you more room to wedge the two drives and not have to worry about breaking/stretching the chain Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are near brighton rogerborg you can borrow my snapon battery one.

#helping fellow enfield owners Laughing
____________________
KAWASAKIIIII
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are near brighton rogerborg you can borrow my snapon battery one.

#helping fellow enfield owners Laughing
____________________
KAWASAKIIIII
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Oldie
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:38 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
so I've gone ahead and ordered an electric impact gun.


Interested to hear how you get on as I really should get one myself. The one you linked to has good reviews on Amazon and seems a good price.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:56 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late to the party but have you considered the manual style Hammer Impact Wrench? Thinking
I don't find them so friendly to the nut itself, but you already napalmed your current one and this way you have direct control over the impact/torque applied.
Almost every nut and bolt on my shitty bike was seized so I've gotten plenty of practice.
____________________
The above post is most likely nonsensical.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:30 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I reckon I'll go with this un as claims up to 450Nm and I prefer mains, unless anyone can suggest something more suitable.


Got myself one of those a few weeks back. It's big and heavy so I hope you have strong arms and not limp wrists because if you don't it will hurt.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:32 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
I reckon I'll go with this un as claims up to 450Nm and I prefer mains, unless anyone can suggest something more suitable.


Got myself one of those a few weeks back. It's big and heavy so I hope you have strong arms and not limp wrists because if you don't it will hurt.


How powerful are they mate?
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wedge a folded piece of nylon webbing strap between the sprocket and primary chain to remove the engine sprocket on my bullet. This locks it up solid.

EDIT: There's another way of locking up a sprocket if you can get the chain off one end that's used for removing fixed gear bicycle cogs (which land up EPIC tight). So if you were struggling and can manage to wiggle the chain off the clutch basket then remove it, this ought to work (and at that point, you can use any scabby bit of chain that fits on the sprocket).

Never tried it, it's a thing I've been carrying in my head for if other techniques fail.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TD459KAQxSM/TlgMByp9X8I/AAAAAAAAC1s/4NRn5Xu95mw/s1600/Rota+Fix+Tire+Whip+to+tighten+cog+on+fixed+gear+bike.JPG
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.


Last edited by stinkwheel on 18:46 - 30 May 2016; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:42 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
How powerful are they mate?


Not used in anger yet but 1000w motor and 450nm of torque compared to the standard 1/2 windy gun that has about 230nm of torque.

Its also about 50% bigger than a standard Windy gun.

You want to borrow and test?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 16 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:49 - 30 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of anyone breaking a drive chain with a bar on the nut.


Bet nobody else has either.
____________________
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 129 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.09 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 135.78 Kb