Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First trackday - Where?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: First trackday - Where? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Decided to bite the bullet and give a trackday a go on my Hornet before I sell it next year and move on to something else.

I am worried I will be the slowest of the slow, ever. My cornering isn't great on road (I don't ride outside my limits so not really an issue, but I'm not as fast as I would like to be...)

I guess you can only learn by having a go and getting stuck in, but I would be a beginner of the beginners group haha.

So my first question is..

Where!

I think ideally I'd like to ride there, trackday, ride home. I can't think of any other way. Unless I really enjoy it I can buy a trailer for my car lol.

So something relatively close would be epic, does anyone have any good suggestions for a n00b like me?

I'm in South East in Buckinghamshire. Thumbs Up

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be fair it doesn't really matter.

my 1st trackday was a cadwell and people don't generally recommend that for a noobie Smile

better to just pick the closest one and get it booked. you'll be jumping in the novices anyway so it's not like you'll have people flying past you (trust me, you won't)

brands or silverstone are probably your closest ones.

If you're set on a short track you can learn your way round quickly and then work on improving your riding I would recommend mallory. there aren't many corners and it only takes a couple of laps to get your bearings and then you can start working on improving.

as said though, the track itself doesn't matter all that much.

just get out there and you'll find you pick up the layout quite quickly and having fun Very Happy

good luck!

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at Bedford Autodrome too. Not too far away and has nice big run off areas.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:05 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done Bedford, but sounds like it'd be an ok choice. Brands Indy doesn't have many corners, so a bit less to learn there, but most of the corners are more than the basic "outside of track, apex, outside of track" simple corners that some tracks offer more of. Never found anyone that didn't enjoy their first trackday, regardless of where they did it.

Even if you are the slowest - and you probably won't be - it doesn't really matter at all. You're still faster than a lot of people that wouldn't even go near one. And the fastest in the fast group will still generally be dawdling compared to many decent level racers.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

+++ for Bedford Aero.

6 weeks ago I went there just to 'try' a track day.. You know. Tick that box.

Was there 2 days ago for my 3'rd track day Shocked.

Only other track I have done is Snetterton, which was very good as well but Bedford has a lot more run off which is very reassuring!

Don't worry about being the slowest, that's not your problem Smile if you're on a road bike you may find you get lucky with a little rain (only chance I got to take a few liter bikes who were running drys Laughing ).

I've ridden to a track day you just cant take the 'nice to haves' like a fold out chair, full tool kit etc etc.

Give the bike a good going over and you'll have a blast.

Maybe try and rope someone else in to go with you Thumbs Up.

Half days are a lot more affordable, full day (7 x 20 mins) run at £130 on weekends, roughly £18 a session.
Half days are around £40 (4x20) roughly £10 a session. Only real issue is getting time off and some of the noise limits are un-obtainable for a 20 year old 600 Crying or Very sad.

Any ideas when you're planning to go?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect thanks already chaps!

Is Silverstone any good? Just realised it's not much further than my usual ride out.

I've seen this at Bedford Autodrome:

https://www.msvtrackdays.com/bike/calendar/2016/july/25-bh-kfrs.aspx

Some Kent fire and rescue 'Skills day' that includes some lap time?

Is that the kind of thing I should be looking at it seems very cheap at £55. Guessing that's less time on track than a normal session! Might be a good introduction though?

Thumbs Up

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I haven't done Bedford, but sounds like it'd be an ok choice. Brands Indy doesn't have many corners, so a bit less to learn there, but most of the corners are more than the basic "outside of track, apex, outside of track" simple corners that some tracks offer more of. Never found anyone that didn't enjoy their first trackday, regardless of where they did it.

Even if you are the slowest - and you probably won't be - it doesn't really matter at all. You're still faster than a lot of people that wouldn't even go near one. And the fastest in the fast group will still generally be dawdling compared to many decent level racers.

Cheers G. I probably will be the slowest. I'm not that confident pushing / maintaining speed in corners so will be good to get out my comfort zone (Building up slowly of course!) but glad it doesn't matter at all if I am!

Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:17 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a trackday. Razz

"There are 5 elements covered on the day:
• Basic first aid for bikers
• Hazard perception and theory input
• Slow speed control
• Observed road rides with an IAM or RoSPA observer
• 2 x 20 minute track taster sessions (13:00 & 17:00)"

If you want to do a first aid course, do a first aid course. If you want to do road rides with IAM or RoSPA then do a road ride with IAM or RoSPA. Or, if you want to do a trackday then do a trackday. Wink

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
+++ for Bedford Aero.

6 weeks ago I went there just to 'try' a track day.. You know. Tick that box.

Was there 2 days ago for my 3'rd track day Shocked.

Only other track I have done is Snetterton, which was very good as well but Bedford has a lot more run off which is very reassuring!

Don't worry about being the slowest, that's not your problem Smile if you're on a road bike you may find you get lucky with a little rain (only chance I got to take a few liter bikes who were running drys Laughing ).

I've ridden to a track day you just cant take the 'nice to haves' like a fold out chair, full tool kit etc etc.

Give the bike a good going over and you'll have a blast.

Maybe try and rope someone else in to go with you Thumbs Up.

Half days are a lot more affordable, full day (7 x 20 mins) run at £130 on weekends, roughly £18 a session.
Half days are around £40 (4x20) roughly £10 a session. Only real issue is getting time off and some of the noise limits are un-obtainable for a 20 year old 600 Crying or Very sad.

Any ideas when you're planning to go?

Haha quality - I'd be pleased to follow in your footsteps, if I enjoy it which I'm sure I will I can see this getting expensive or getting a trackbike. Smile Baby steps first though!

Ideally I do only want to go on a dry day to start with.. heck I haven't even ridden in the rain bar about 5 times when I've been caught out!

What's the deal can you turn up or book in advance? I'm scared of rain! Haha.

I'd like to go ASAP really. I'm changing jobs soon and will likey have a couple of weeks off end of July to August. So if I could fit something in around that, awesome. Thumbs Up

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
That's not a trackday. Razz

"There are 5 elements covered on the day:
• Basic first aid for bikers
• Hazard perception and theory input
• Slow speed control
• Observed road rides with an IAM or RoSPA observer
• 2 x 20 minute track taster sessions (13:00 & 17:00)"

If you want to do a first aid course, do a first aid course. If you want to do road rides with IAM or RoSPA then do a road ride with IAM or RoSPA. Or, if you want to do a trackday then do a trackday. Wink

You nob!

Haha. Thanks. Just checking!

Back to google... Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:33 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you did fancy Brands and didn't want to have to travel, welcome to stay down here, I'm only 20ish mins from Brands. Thumbs Up

As G says, not much to learn from it, but you do get to have fun and it really is enjoyable. Stay right way up though Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:33 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may well be sold out now, but I was considering doing a Bedford on Monday 25th July. Got a Brands GP on 21st and a busy weekend, so not sure yet.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one for £109 G?

https://www.msvtrackdays.com/bike/calendar/2016/july/25-ba-gen.aspx

Sign on at 7:30!! Christ. I'd be better off getting a hotel the night before!

Looks like a good day though plenty of track time. Thumbs Up I can imagine riding 65 miles home after a full day on track will be very difficult Laughing

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
This one for £109 G?

https://www.msvtrackdays.com/bike/calendar/2016/july/25-ba-gen.aspx

Sign on at 7:30!! Christ. I'd be better off getting a hotel the night before!

Looks like a good day though plenty of track time. Thumbs Up I can imagine riding 65 miles home after a full day on track will be very difficult Laughing

Bedford was my first track day this day last month. There were hella slow people in novice, you'll be fine. The run off also came in handy when locking the rear up after remembering there's a corner and not a straight.

I stayed the night before (its just over 100 miles from my house) and then stayed in Newmarket the night of the track day. Could have happily gone home but had something booked for different reasons. I did however skip the last session as I needed to get to a dinner reservation.

I'm off to Snetterton this afternoon Thumbs Up
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:55 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea; that's the one. Not sure yet; looks to still be spaces available. Signing on starts at 7:30. They say briefing starts at 8:15 - it's normally 8:30, so they might just be saying that to make sure people get there earlier. Even having to unload a van etc, often my tactic was to get there at 8:20. Sign on, straight into briefing then unload while others are out, if Fast is out last. Have been to others where you do have to be there for 7:30 - because they wanted an extra long briefing 'for safety'. Because obviously making it so lots of people will only get 5 hours sleep is the 'safe' way to do things!

Oh and just a note - getting someone to slap you if you use the rear brake is also handy if you find yourself locking up the rear! Wink

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 04 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO matter how early you are, there will always be people in before you.
I left at 6:30am, got there for 7:10 and the place was already heaving!

My friend brought his nice shiney GSXR750 and hated it. Plenty of vroooom in it but was so worried about binning it that it pretty much ruined the whole thing...
Then picked up a GSXR 600 K1 for a grand and its night and day. Less go (very closely matched to me now as well though), but so much keener to thrash the knackers off it and pile into corners to find the limits.

I'm on my old CBR600 F3 which to be honest is more than capable and I won't be outgrowing for a long time.

So you don't have to spend a lot to get a good bike, just get the right bike and it will make all the difference Very Happy

MOT helps, as long as you keep on top of maintinance you can easily ride to the track, size 10 spanner to get the mirrors off and you're golden Smile

Ps. MSV trackdays @ bedford aerodrome --> Vending machines are on and that's all the coffee/tea/choccoMilk you can drink. Book through noLimits and they are off Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1