Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tubeless road tyres?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:16 - 13 Aug 2016    Post subject: Tubeless road tyres? Reply with quote

Has anyone done the tubular to tubeless switch and if so how has the switch gone for you?

I love riding on tubs for ride quality/fatigue prevention, even the best clincher/latex tube combos don't compare well to reasonable quality butyl lined tubs. I've noticed that tubeless road tyres are getting into the sane price range for road use & so I'm considering the swap. In theory they offer the puncture solvability of clinchers with the a ride quality which exceeds that of tubulars. But what is the reality of use, how hard is it to break the bead when you need to boot & tube the tyre etc.

spannermonkey...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:00 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been riding on tubs for years.

Faster and better ride on the road. Clinchers are easier to repair road side and in general but not the same speed or feel.

I just used tub tape for my tubs so once deflated they are easy to remove from the rim and just roll another tyre on, square it up and pump up to 140-160 psi. That's the down side carrying another tyre if your bothered. But I haven't had a puncture yet in 5 years of riding with them.

They just roll a lot better.
Current machines - Aprilia RS250. Kawasaki H1A 500. Past machines - Kawasaki ZX7r P6, Yamaha RD250E (the one that got away), BSA Racing bantam (revs over 10'000 sweet as), Yamaha RXS100, Suzuki GP100, Suzuki GS500K2 - best all year machine ever - come rain, sleet and snow just epic.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:16 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a tub v's tubed clincher, I understand the compromises very well. This is about tub v's tubeless clincher, which in theory the best of both worlds.

I do >300km rides in a day so being able to buy a tyre & tube is a nice safety net & dramatically cuts down on what I need to carry for emergencies.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 190 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1