Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying a bike in India

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Brick_Top
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:31 - 19 Sep 2016    Post subject: Buying a bike in India Reply with quote

I'm flying to Kerala in a months time. I'm going to be getting some R and R for a few weeks, then I want to embark on some adventures.

I've got budget to travel for a year or so on ~ £600/month for everything.

I was wondering what peoples experiences were buying a motorbike as a foreigner, and using this as their main mode of transport around a state, or several states.

Are some states better than others to be on the road on a motorbike? I'm not so interested in Cities, would rather see coast/in land countryside.

Beyond buying a bike, a pair of gloves and a helmet I can't see much initial outlay, unless it is to be done legally with insurance, but not sure how I'd obtain that as a nomad.

Does it sound viable to do this and then sell the bike on, for at least part of my tour. Sticking to the budget I have (obviously will need some capital to buy the kit upfront). How has motorcycle travel compared cost wise for others, compared to getting buses/trains?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Kerala is an excellent place, although you'll be getting there in the tail of the wet season so expect the odd thunderous downpour where it's so hard it hurts your head and shoulders, so you have to take cover.
It's not a place where people usually look to buy bikes. Usually they go to New Dehli, Mumbai or Goa but there's no reason why you can't get one there.
You'd be wise to search on Rideasia.net, advrider.com and Horizonsunlimited.com I think there's probably some India only forums by now but you'll have to search them out.

As for costs, Train and Buses are really cheap so I'm not sure buying a bike would end up any cheaper. But it should be much more entertaining, convenient, give you more freedom and when you need to get the bike/tyre repaired every few hundred miles it'll be an adventure/story almost every time.
You will have to appreciate that there are still many unmade roads out there and in the dry season it'll be slow going but in the wet season it'll be excruciatingly slow going. Somewhere like Cochin to Periyar will be a full days travel as you need to drive slowly and concentrate to miss the pot-holes which could finish you or the bike if hit wrong.
The cows wander where ever they want and it's up to you not to hit them. The same can be said of Trucks, Buses, Coaches, taxis and pretty much everything else, so you will have to concentrate and ride defensively, which also means you'll have to stop regularly or you'll see nothing...
But I wish it was me not you Laughing
Vifferguy This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vifferguy wrote:
I hope it all works out well for you, but after watching the video below I'd consider travel/health insurance over there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9gDmQMSMO0

You'll like this. 350 Bullet (as proved by the wheezing sound).
In the north but It shows how bumpy it is and a few real close shaves...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lssRHVuDOLE
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 217 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1