Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fun Wales routes to Snowdonia?? Also N.England possibly

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

blinky
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:31 - 12 Sep 2016    Post subject: Fun Wales routes to Snowdonia?? Also N.England possibly Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I'm making a trip up to Snowdonia in Wales, from Swansea area and thought I'd make the most of it.. taking the (very) long way home afterwards... either back through Wales or 5050 Wales and Eng.

I'm an avid walker/hiker looking to ride/hike great mountain passes of beauty etc.....but just generally a curious explorer.
(Hiked Cader Idris 10 years ago!..would love to revisit it).
Wouldn't mind seeing manchester possibly and staying there a night to see the nightlife..before heading back south. Mr. Green
Possibly go visit a friend over in Kings Lynn ..but I know that's the opp side of the country! Will see how things go.

Timescale... 4 to 7 days. ..maybe camp or cheap BnB's... I'm still checking into this.

My main concerns are the weather, finding petrol stations, the general cost etc, and crime/dangers.......
Tyres on my old cbr600f aren't great in the wet....anyway,
Hopefully my trusty steed will endure one last..lengthy road trip.

I'm a bit of a southern fairy... so any fellow travel advice for Wales and the Northern /central parts of England would be awesome. Thumbs Up

Much obliged Laughing

Cheers to this recent post..I got some good route ideas already.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=315394
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of petrol stations around Snowdonia, although some may close early evening but fill up in the daytime and you should be fine. There's a 101 places to park and hike so it's a case of what tickles your fancy. Crime wise there's nothing out of the ordinary, so just take the usual precautions. Weather wise don't bother listening to a forecast, they're shockingly wrong most of the time! Best thing to do is look out the window. Or let's face it, it's Wales, it always bloody rains here Mr. Green Gets windy up the hills too and the weather can close in much faster than you think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Vifferguy This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go through Manchester, not that you'd get mugged necessarily but to get a flavour of the Pennines much better go a bit further up the M6 and across by maybe Sedburgh and Hawes.

Having said that if it's rainy with low cloud on the hills Manchester might be a better option!
It is a nice run over the M62 as motorways go one of the more scenic routes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:53 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vifferguy wrote:
Head due north from Swansea, then Carmarthen, Lampeter, then west to Aberaron & follow the coast road north through Aberyswyth, Machynlleth then you're in the Snowdonia Nat Park.
You decide which mountains need climbing, coz that's me with hiking (I caught the train up Mt Snowden!)
Lots of great roads, passes & views all the way north &/or NE.

DO NOT stay in Manchester it's a shit hole, but do sample the delights of Chester, it's a beautiful compact but vibrant city with good night life.

you crazy man...Manchester has some of the best nightlife in the country, great bars, music venues. Spinningfields and the northern quarter are amazing nights out.
Vifferguy This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he goes to Chester his bank balance will deteriorate faster than a smackhead spends his giro!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

blinky
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:44 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks guys...
Arrow I was even gonna leave my chain behind jus to save on the weight... but I can guess il get an ear full. Esp if staying in Manchester. I'm still curious to see the nightlife I hear so much about...and the sheer size of the place!
Crime wise... does anyone know what areas to avoid in Manchester then? Or are they all not far from nicer parts?

Ive been attacked in S.London before, in Croyden. Luckily the gang focused their efforts on me on the ground...and not the fully loaded cbr w my laptop and passport etc.only 10m away. I was in full gear so didn't get too hurt.. but was pretty shook up from the experience.
All that, and just from knocking on the wrong door at night! Was looking for my mates house..only about 11pm. Crazy shit eh.

The alarm on my bike aint so loud, so it's a no brainer really. Il jus have to chain the back wbeel to something solid each time... but I don't have disc brakes or any extras.
Chester looks niiiice. I was keen to go there anyway, maybe I can stay in both places..
Hoping to climb Snowden and Cader Idris at least, ..and Def gonna ride through Aberystwyth area. ..I heard it's gorgeous along there.
I might even try couchsurfing, which adds to the experience and also saves a bit. ..will see how things go.

Anyone along ish my route are welcome to join... or il get you a cofee in ya local cafe possibly 😊

Cheers Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:53 - 16 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

manchester

parking a bike in any major city is a risk..one that i wouldnt take, i luckily have secure underground private parking so it never worries me.

i do know the premier inn or travel inn right in the centre has secure underground parking which might be your only option for some peace of mind.

as for going out...spinningfileds or northern quarter, avoid the usual places as they tend to be full of the dicks...feel free to visit canal street Smile

blinky
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:37 - 17 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my bike aint much to look at right now!

some of the frontal plastics missing, gaffer taped seat and indicator held on by a pencil.... but i spose they would try to nick the bike anyway, just for the shits and giggles. lolz Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

cool, cheers Thumbs Up

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 19 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your route in, but if you're coming in from Manchester (Assuming you still have a bike Twisted Evil ), then you have a few options for awesome roads around the Berwyn's, on the way to Snowdonia.

I'd look at going past Wrexham, down the A483 to Llynclys, A495, B4396, and the B4391 over past Bala and into Ffestiniog. The B4931, as anyone on my facebook will tell you, is fucking fantastic. This route puts you pretty much smack in the middle of Snowdonia, and you can pick and choose where to go from there. The Crimea pass north to Betws-y-Coed is fun at triple figures (hypothetically of course, officer).

You could also walk up Cadair Berwyn (2700ft+) if you fancied. Parking in Llandrillo with a nice chunky phone pole to chain up to.

I'm local to N.Wales if you want more details, routes etc.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found my new favourite road this week.

From Machynlleth, head east on the A489, take a right at the hospital on Forge Road (I think it was signposted as a mountain road towards Forge and Dylife.

Tuesday late morning saw 3 cars, long roads, great visibility. Much fun.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vifferguy wrote:
paddywinz wrote:
Found my new favourite road this week.

From Machynlleth, head east on the A489, take a right at the hospital on Forge Road (I think it was signposted as a mountain road towards Forge and Dylife.

Tuesday late morning saw 3 cars, long roads, great visibility. Much fun.

Best roads & views in the World when the weather/traffic/plod/'bike are all in the correct phase is North Wales!!! Thumbs Up
(not as spectacular as say the Alps or Himalayas, but it's much nearer!)

PS, where do you live Paddywinz, your profile shows a dot over Bath/Bristol???

Hardly saw any police while I was there which was a change from my mates getting pulled doing silly mph in a 40.

Yep, I'm in Bristol.

blinky
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:41 - 25 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one guys. Cheers again.
Hoping to head off on Tuesday. Just trying to get my ducks in a row...but might jus say fook it and go anyway.
Also twisties mind...my new pilot power 2ct tyres aren't bedded in enough I think...even tho I've put 2 or 300miles on them. They felt a bit funny when I was cornering ystrday 😕
Hopefully they'll bed in more by the time I get up to west Wales. (I don't wanna repeatedly go around rndabouts here or do doughnuts jus for preparation Razz )

..forgot to add.. replaced front wheel bearings too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 213 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1