Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First time rider

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

adam80
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:35 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: First time rider Reply with quote

Thought I'd join and say hi as I am hoping to get my A Licence either late this year or early next year and then thinking of a Honda, something like a C500F in red.

I have read up on the licence requirements and got some insurance quotes but I am interested to hear about storage space on the bikes, security and what options in safety equipment there is. I'll browse around but please feel free to offer advice!

Thanks

Adam

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome Adam Very Happy

Storage: forget about underseat storage - its tiny, unless you have old Fazer like me. You have many options: top box (its comfty, fairly secure, can be huge, cons: wind at motorways), panniers - even more space, cons: too wide for London filtering, various tail bags - I prefer this one cons: not secure need to get it with you, backpack - cons: I hate riding with one Laughing

Security - alarms, chains - nothing can stop them, get an old bike.

Safety options: get a bike with ABS, traction control, 3-axis IMU devices, gear with CE level 2 safety, airbag vest, or just use your brain.

FYI gear safety depends what you plan to do with the bike - for example there are adventure, sport and touring style boots, the same for the jackets and pants. Make sure your helmet fits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Security: garage. Failing that a cover. Seriously, stopping scallies seeing the bike is the best thing you can do*. After that you want a good (not a bike shop's opinion of good, OUR opinion of good) chain, through the frame or worst case the rear wheel and fixed to something immobile.

Storage: luggage. There's no storage worth speaking of as standard on most bikes. A tank bag or tail pack will suit most. For weekends away you're looking at top box, panniers etc.

Safety: get a car. Aside from that, preventing a crash is better than saving your skin while you're having one. Racing leathers may let you slide down the road for half a mile but a badly placed lamp post and you're toast. But good waterproof textiles keep you warm and dry and comfy so you don't lose your concentration and are less likely to make a mistake in the first place.

* if you want more info I can do a Tef style post on criminal psychology, but I'll not volunteer it.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what do you want to know about storage, security and "safety equipment"?

You're opening yourself up to teflon stylee if you don't narrow it down.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a NC700/750, that will satisfy your desire for storage with it's dummy tank, if you added a topbox too you'll be laughing.

No one will want to steal it compared to a Firebusa so there's your added security right there Wink

Safety wise, it's your brain that will make you safe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:26 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top box.

Garage. Pragmassis 16mm noose chain and Squire lock.

Crash bars or bungs, well fitting helmet, armoured gloves, boots, trousers and jacket. Waterproofs.

Safety is in your head and right hand.

Enjoy your 10,000 word hectoring from Teflon Mike.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:02 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still just 'thinking' about getting a licence.. questions about cubby-storage is probably a little premature, dont you think?

Top of my list of queries at your stage would be asking the school what the catering arrangements are like, and whether to bring sandwhiches or if they stop at a cafe! But to indulge you;

storage. It's not a car, you sit on it, not in it. Luggage? most bikes dont have anywhere to put anything other than the factory tool kit, if they even have that. If they have any more, it wont be as big as your pockets. More than that, like you would walking to town, you take a bag. Common luggage solutions include racks to tie stuff to with bungees or webbing straps; saddle-bags or 'paniers' that hang over the saddle, or tank bags that strap to the petrol tank. Often called 'soft-Luggage' its sportsbag type luggage strapped to the bike however best suits, and is luggage, rather than storage and not 'secure' to leave on the bike when parked for long periods. More permenant, and slightly more secure is 'Hard-Luggage' or 'system-luggage'; usually ABS plastic or in the old days fibre-glass suitcases, bolted to a rack. More convcenient than soft luggage, but more bulky, usually.

Security
: Bikes can be lifted into the back of a van. Padlocks and chains to tie them to something immoveable. Disc-locks that stop wheels turning are useful added deterant over the factory steering lock against a wheel away, but wont stop a bike being lifted. alarms? who takes any notice? Imobilisers; usually more of a hinderance to the owner when they play up than a tea-leaf who'se probably got the thing in a lock-up to work on at leisure by that time.

Safety Equipment Law says you must wear a crash hat/. dont make you safe, but nice to know when you fall off it might soften the bang a bit. General misnomer, as 'equipment' don't make you safe. Not crashing makes you safe. You'll get that from common sense, which you have or you dont, and training, which you aint done yet. Anything else, is protective wear, for you or bike.. and there's a whole section of the Compulsary Basic Training course devoted to telling you all about it and discussing the topic....

And THAT, Compulsary Basic Training is where you have to start; and where these sort of questions should be answered, and any others you might think of between now and then, and if not, ask... THAT is what CBT is for.

Stop thinking about it, go get on with it; go book a course.... and remember to ask them about the catering arrangements.... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:46 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
https://i.imgur.com/MYNrKRQ.jpg

Perhaps that was just the introduction.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best safety equipment resides between your ears. Make good use of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 25 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about 'which bike' until you've got your licence.
Just find a local training school and talk to them/book the course, pass the test.
Everything else is superfluous until you've passed it. Cool

adam80
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:11 - 01 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it, great bunch of members and detailed replies. I think I could get used to Mr Teflon Mike Smile Sorry I didn't reply sooner, busy week...

The licence is a definite, it was the Honda I was thinking of and safe riding is what I am going for.

My car is a Mercedes SLK which has no boot space to speak of so I'm not looking to travel with a set of luggage, I was more thinking a laptop for work, my lunch and maybe a change of clothes for an overnighter or changing at work if it gets hot riding in!

I don't want to speed past and dodge traffic at 90mph but filtering when the M1 is stationary southbound would be good so I guess it's the top box. Even in the car I tend to obey most speed limits and siting on the bike at 70mph might be more than fast enough to begin with.

Safety is definitely top priority for me, fun yes but I don't want to get a licence to then find I can't get out for 6 months. Hazard perception and using my brain is the plan but anything can happen and someone might still drive in to me.

As a car driver I am aware that bikes can sit in your blind spot so I'll try to avoid that.

I am going to a the local Honda dealer later today to look at all the options and check out the training offer. Thinking between a CBR500R in black and orange and a CB500F in red or yellow.

I'll keep you posted.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 01 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam80 wrote:
I am going to a the local Honda dealer later today to look at all the options and check out the training offer. Thinking between a CBR500R in black and orange and a CB500F in red or yellow.

For your first 'big bike' it's probably wiser to go 'used' for a number of reasons.
1) Make no mistake, you'll still be learning and it's a fair chance you'll drop it moving it around a garage or car park (especially on gravel).
2) Until you've actually used a big bike for a while you really won't know what you want from a bike. You may think you do now but reality can be a bitch.
3) You'll quite quickly start looking at other bikes even though your own bike may do everything you want 'OK', but the new XXX does the stuff you want better.
So IMO give yourself 6 months - 1 year on a used bike before you think of getting into the expense (long term commitment?) of a new bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:31 - 01 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam80 wrote:
I think I could get used to Mr Teflon Mike Smile

How's the weather in Stockholm this time of year?

adam80
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:40 - 01 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

For your first 'big bike' it's probably wiser to go 'used' for a number of reasons...

Thanks Andy, a friend said this too earlier. I did fall in love with the look and feel of the NC750S and finance worked out about £180 a month which I am fine with but yes, I was worried about dropping it and the repair bill!

On the plus side, I am booked in for the full A Licence course and they are calling me on Monday to arrange times.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 01 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam80 wrote:
I think I could get used to Mr Teflon Mike

He thinks this.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 208 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1