Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Comrade Corbyn congratulations thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

How much tax did he pay and how much is the state going to be liable for BHS pensions? I thought he'd promised to sort out the pensions from his own pocket?

Like I said, the top 1% of UK earners, pay 27.5% of the total tax take. He'll be in that 1% I presume.

Can't be arsed to rummage around for it again but a wee google search told me it isn't even taxpayers who foot the bill of the lost pensions. It's some kind of 'Pension Protection Fund' which all businesses pay into as part of their rates or something.

Either way, the fact he ran a business to the ground, fucked over 11'000 people and took off with over £1Bn is always going to be something that society has to mop up, whether it's the taxpayer or businesses putting into the PPF is irrelevant.

He'll be in the to 1% but do the maths. Let's assume he paid full and fair tax on everything he drew from the business (not likely! Laughing)

Put the numbers in and you get £470M, roughly.

The lost pensions are estimated to be about £571M.

So his actions while at BHS were a net drain on society, to the tune of pretty much £10M a year (at the very least) all in his back pocket. Absolutely leeching off the system.

To compare, that's several thousand times the amount any dole scummer could ever get for themselves in a year. If it were possible to add 'feelings' to statistics, you could say Philip Green is basically several thousand times worse than the ones you more readily choose to hate.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise taxes, 'the state', business and everything else all combine to form one economy, don't you?

A person taking £10M a year that wider society needs to foot the bill for is always going to be a person taking £10M a year that wider society needs to foot the bill for.

Here's the part you glossed over in your desperate attempt to vindicate the guy.

Lord Percy wrote:
the fact he ran a business to the ground, fucked over 11'000 people and took off with over £1Bn is always going to be something that society has to mop up, whether it's the taxpayer or businesses putting into the PPF is irrelevant.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:12 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Why would [migrants] have to come here?

To live, because declaring "down tools" globally would see the majority of the humans on the planet dying of thirst, starving to death, or exploding from dysentery-AIDS in short order.

Good times, good times.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Ah, so as I said, he did contribute more than he took from the state.

Unless you count the 11,000 people he put on the dole, in a country that has difficulties employing people on zero-hours contracts, never mind real fucking jobs.

You live in a mental fantasy land where every argument you present is intended only to justify your hatred and bigotry of 'doleys', people who's lives you would not want to live if you really had any clue about them (10-child families not withstanding).

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think mental fantasy land is the appropriate term, it's more just emotionally driven thought processes rather than rational consideration of the entire system.

Equivalent to focusing on the prison system and considering only the costs and not the benefits.

I'm sure that somewhere in Westminster there's been a pub discussion about JSA being far cheaper than prison digs at some point.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
I don't think mental fantasy land is the appropriate term, it's more just emotionally driven thought processes rather than rational consideration of the entire system.

Equivalent to focusing on the prison system and considering only the costs and not the benefits.

I'm sure that somewhere in Westminster there's been a pub discussion about JSA being far cheaper than prison digs at some point.

And considerably more cheaper than tens of thousands of rabid yoofs on a daily criminal rampage. Mr. Green

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:18 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the argument is simply the efficiency of suppressing the mob, then rope is cheap and re-usable.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is it more profitable to execute half the population and have the rest riot, or to keep them as pet workers with constant distractions?

I reckon I'd be good in that there Westminster if loose lips didn't sink ships. Laughing

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
If the argument is simply the efficiency of suppressing the mob, then rope is cheap and re-usable.

200 years on and a collective consciousness armed by the internet, that shit would no longer fly. You'd have violent revolution so fast it would make the Bastille look like the 30-years war.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost as if the role of Government is to maintain social order. Who knew.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
It's almost as if the role of Government is to maintain social order. Who knew.

You're kind of halfway there. It's to maintain an order conducive to the ability of a tiny minority to become exceptionally rich. Doesn't really have anything to do with social order per se other than as an accidental by-product.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's been 'the social order' as long as I am aware of. Then again, I'm only up to 1000AD in my Big Book of World History. Maybe there's a gem in there somehow. Seems doubtful. Laughing

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no, I'm starting to surmise the whole point in our times is about the economy and the inescapable surge to move forward and growth. We the peons mean nothing as such as we are part of the machine. We the indigenous are dying out with a sub prime birth rate and an ageing populous hence the drive to increase immigration.

The only thing that keeps us moving is the forward march, keep the plates spinning whatever the cost.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:54 - 05 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
200 years on and a collective consciousness armed by the internet, that shit would no longer fly. You'd have violent revolution so fast it would make the Bastille look like the 30-years war.

Not if we turned it into a reality game show, and let the mob believe they were voting on who to hang next.

Watch out, Noosey's about,
Yeah you better watch out,
'Cause Noosey's about.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 05 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

In a country currently with record employment, 2/3 of which is in full time positions, who still need to import millions of immigrants to fill the vacancies.

Yeah right, we're really struggling with job creation. Which makes a mockery of the long term doleys who reckon there's no work. Funny how millions of immigrants find it easy enough. Maybe they're not bone idle?

As an example of pure fantasy that's quite up there. Laughing

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 05 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with employment metrics is that there's so much fluff going on at the bottom end it's impossible to make sense of what's actually going on.

You have legions of people who have given up seeking work. Above that, you have jobs which would otherwise be fundamentally unviable topped up with masses of in work benefits. Above that, you have 'skilled jobs' that result in an equivalent or worse standard of living than sitting in a council house on the dole.

Focusing on employment stats only really makes sense if you have the attitude that work is fundamentally a good thing regardless of pay or conditions.

Far more relevant would be something like the median income across all working age adults including the unemployed.

As an aside, it's interesting to see a post from mpd that's basically claiming immigrants are superior beings to the locals. Laughing

Last edited by Derivative on 10:08 - 05 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 05 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

Not if we turned it into a reality game show, and let the mob believe they were voting on who to hang next.

Yeah you better watch out,
'Cause Noosey's about.

I suggest less time on Scarfolk. Laughing

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-k4d9QHMizC0/V-Y9FE7gffI/AAAAAAAABag/44W8p7jW0MwvmLlejRBtxvwGIwiy9VFwQCLcB/s1600/LookOut-www_scarfolk_blogspot_com.jpg

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 05 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

You see, that all looks completely factual and correct to me.
Mind you, I'm not a long term benefits recipient looking for an excuse for not getting off my arse and finding employment.

Maybe things look a bit different, when you're trying to justify this position?

I don't have to justify anything, I merely seek distraction. Razz

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they're not using dodgy ' investment vehicles ' they contribute to tax you mean .
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 36 of 50