Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My new KTM Duke 390

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:27 - 28 Jul 2016    Post subject: My new KTM Duke 390 Reply with quote

Since there doesn't seem to be many (if any) threads about the KTM Duke 390 I thought I would start a one!

Obligatory pictures Razz

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/3_zpsldeeno0c.jpg

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/4_zpsfsaar5fd.jpg

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/13883666_10154409138014264_1515933088_n_zpslqmh4vax.jpg

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/2_zpsvvdrw61h.jpg

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/5_zpsrmseyadf.jpg

Absolutely love it! Eversince the test ride I knew this was the bike for me. Light and flickable but still had a bit of power if I needed it. Obviously it won't be the fastest thing on the road but it will be good enough for what I want it for.

Extras:
Scorpion can
Engine bars (can get them in orange but I thought it would be to overkill with that colour so settled for the black, also if i do scratch them, they will be easier to touch up).
bungs front and rear (the dealer forgot to fit the front ones!)
lowered, although I still can't flat foot!
handguards - could have chosen orange or white but went for black
touring screen
hand grips (dealer forgot to fit them- will fit them at first service)
Thumbs Up

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:14 - 28 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice OP, congrats Thumbs Up

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 29 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your (VERY) shiny new bike!

Looking forward to reading updates on how you get on as I nearly test rode one just to see what it was like, but haven't just in case I like it.

There was another thread on here, but the new owner did not post nay updates. Probably out having too much fun Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:25 - 29 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda fancy one of those. Nice bike Dotteh! What does it handle like?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 29 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!

Engine bars are overkill in my opinion - it's so light you'll struggle to drop it. Plus the engine is teeny and inside the frame as it is.

If the clutch lever feels like you're about to snap it, before you go ebay crazy and get some orange shorties made of banana peel - shim the lever. Works an absolute charm and improves the feel 100%.

Someone pulled up next to me at the lights on Wednesday with a loud bike. No idea what it was though. 0-35mph plus the absolute most filterable bike in the universe really does win at traffic.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 29 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handguards and screen set it off well Thumbs Up How tall are you? (Just wondering like as you said you can't flat foot) Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jim Mc
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:29 - 03 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks nice but watching the 0-60 videos on youtube makes it look as flat as a fart.

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:30 - 08 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the nice comments Very Happy Thumbs Up

Yeah, I felt the handgaurds and screen give it a more agressive look. On the demo Duke it had the handguards and I noticed a huge difference in wind being deflected, they also look bad ass too Cool.

@UnknownStuntman: yeah you are probably right about the engine bars! although it gives me peace of mind. They are on now and I chose them in black to make them a little more less obvious (which i tihnk they are lol). Obviously noticeable compared to a duke without them but I haven't seen a duke around where I live!

Quote:
If the clutch lever feels like you're about to snap it, before you go ebay crazy and get some orange shorties made of banana peel - shim the lever. Works an absolute charm and improves the feel 100%.

Unknown Stuntman- I am unsure what you mean by this? About it snapping? I am wanting adjustable levers as the clutch lever, although reachable, is not comfortable and would make a big difference being closer. I have noticed when engaging the clutch my hand wrist twists to the left a bit to help aid reach and if I am ever in the situation where I need the horn, my thumb cannot reach which is worrying.

@under_rated: I am 5 foot 6, but the seat is quite wide so that doesn't help the issue! Sad

A little review:

Handling wise- I can only compare to the previous bike I had which was the Kawasaki ZR7 99 model, and it feels so much better. I feel more secure and planted on the road and with the bike being so light if you have the "oh shit, i didn't see that pothole" moment, you can still flick the bike around it with no dramas. The only thing that I prefer about the ZR7 is the suspension as it is much softer, I am guessing this is because the rear shock seemed a bit past it though!

Acceleration: again, I am comparing this to the ZR7 (I am on a restricted A2 Licence) the response as soon as you twist the throttle is great, it seems to have a similar, if not the same, response as the ZR7. The only fault is that as soon as you get to about 7k revs the shift light comes on, upon checking the manual, it is said that it is set to that as I am running in the engine and as soon as it goes in for its 600 mile service then they will do something to up the rev shift light. It is very easy to hit the light and a big part of me is left frustrated when i see the shift light but I am looking forward to having the bike post first service. Although I still have 400 miles left to do!

Comfort: Gosh, well the seat is hard. I am well padded and even I have issues with it. I rode to work (about 15 minutes away) and I had no issues but after 30-45 minutes I need a break just to get off the bike. There is a powerparts seat available which I would have bought but it does add 20mm to the ride height, howver, the seat is much more narrow than the stock and that would help as the stock seat is wider than the one on the ZR7. I am just going to see how I get on and if I can adjust to the seat, if not I may get the other seat.

The Duke can also have a bit of a vibe in the handlebars at higher speeds, although compared to the demo bike this is worlds apart and the demo bike was that vibey I nearly decided not to buy the Duke. I have got new grips which will help and to be honest it certianly isn't bad enough for me to worry about it.

Brakes: I have read/ watched quite a few reviews about the brakes and the majority of them state the brakes do their job and could be better. I actually tihnk the brakes are great, again comparing to a bike which is 15 years older than this one won't set a high bench mark, but generally they stop in time and they give me a hell of a lot more confidence than the ZR7.

Reliability/ engine: With this bike being brand new it comes with a 2 years warranty and roadside assistance which shows KTM are confident with the bike, either that or they want to chuck a lot of money away Razz. I have, however, had two issue - It starts on the button but sometimes when I have approached the traffic lights at the bottom of the road the bike will stall. I have the clutch lever fully in on these few occasions and it does seem to be stubborn and will take a bout 30-60 seconds before it fires back up again. This can be really annoying but fingers crossed it won't happen again. Issue 2 occurs when engaged in gear, for example when riding 30mph in third gear, the bike seems to lunge as if you have eased of the throttle, even though I haven't. This can be a bit frustrating and cause a bit of anxiety but it hasn't made me question the bikes safety so unless it happens regulary I will wait to the first service and mention the issues then.

Overall thoughts: Well, as a single cylinder, which has prompted me to give the name of "Thumper" to the Duke, it is a bike which likes to be reved. Other reviews have described it as the "exciteable pup" and to be honest this totally hits the nail on the head. The bike, although only a 390cc, still flings you back when you pull on the throttle and is very capable of giving you a grin. The small fuel tank is a ballache with refilling but then again it's a good excuse to give your arse a rest (why do I think some dirty minded people will snigger at that last part? Razz). The overall finish of the Duke certainly makes me feel this bike is going to last and I look forward to seeing how it fares over the next few years. The bike looks stunning, and considering the price I paid, I feel I have got a lot of bike for the money.

I feel I have forgotten something which needs mentioning so if I have missed anything out then remind me! Smile Thumbs Up [/b]

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 08 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review, DottyDuck Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 10 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting to be intrigued by these bikes. I wonder if they'll take a bit of tuning without losing reliability?*
Please keep us updated once the bike is run in and you can use it to it's full potential Dotty Smile

P.S. I think it looks very cool in that first photo Cool

EDIT: *Ooh, look what I found!

https://www.ktmperformance.com/ktm-performance-engine-kit-for-390.html

How much?! Shocked
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Last edited by chickenstrip on 15:58 - 10 Aug 2016; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:57 - 10 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool bike indeed and looks nice with the extras on it! Enjoy!

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 11 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stalling/throttle issues sounds like the ECU is trying to run the bike as lean as possible (for emissions) a little too soon, and that you're going in and out of closed loop fueling at 30 in 3rd. I'd stick with it for the running in and ask if they can tweak at the first service; otherwise, have a look around the net and see if anyone's running a FatDuc ( https://www.fatduc.com/ ) equivalent to sort the fueling.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 11 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

DottyDuck wrote:
Unknown Stuntman- I am unsure what you mean by this? About it snapping?

It's a thin spindly bit of metal they use for the clutch lever, it flaps around a bit compared to a 'real' bike. I was all set to get some adjustable shorties but after I put a couple shims in to the pivot point of the lever I've taken the free play out and it feels more substantial.

DottyDuck wrote:
... about 7k revs the shift light comes on ... 600 mile service ... looking forward to having the bike post first service.

Yes, before the first service don't rag it. After it's been checked over (they should do a valve check, but it's definitely worth telling them you specifically need this done) you can razz it about like a hooligan. And 7k is where it starts to come alive! It's addictive though, I warn you!

DottyDuck wrote:
sometimes when I have approached the traffic lights at the bottom of the road the bike will stall. I have the clutch lever fully in on these few occasions and it does seem to be stubborn and will take a bout 30-60 seconds before it fires back up again. This can be really annoying but fingers crossed it won't happen again. Issue 2 occurs when engaged in gear, for example when riding 30mph in third gear, the bike seems to lunge as if you have eased of the throttle, even though I haven't. This can be a bit frustrating and cause a bit of anxiety but it hasn't made me question the bikes safety so unless it happens regulary I will wait to the first service and mention the issues then.

Do mention these issues, but don't be surprised when they shrug and tell you it's not something they can definitely fix. You have to remember it's a pretty highly strung bike as-is, and it's got a single cylinder with not much inertia. If it misses a beat, the engine can stop, particularly when it's cold. I find if I've not let it warm up (temp display up to 3 bars) I can expect it to do that pretty early on in my journey. And when you try to restart it, it takes forever to crank over before it fires. Leaving it off for 30 seconds helps with restarting, if you can pull over safely.

The surging about 30 in 3rd is a bit annoying, but I tend to hold it in a higher or lower gear if it's a bother. While running in you can't hold it in a lower gear or you'll over rev it. Bear with it, it's worth the short term pain!

There have been discussions about a new map put on at first service 'curing' these issues, but I had it, and it's made no difference. It's 'character'.

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:37 - 05 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

@UnknownStuntman: Yes the clutch lever seems to have a fair bit of play which really annoys the hell out of me as I struggle to reach it as it is and if the play was taken out then I would be able to reach it much easier. I have got adjustable levers for the bike but purely because I am hoping the closest setting will help with comfort and easiness as I have noticed I am twisting my arm/wrist to the left to help grab the clutch and coincidentally I can't reach the horn button which is a big concern.

I totally agree, I love hitting the 7k it's a complete tease Twisted Evil when the shift light comes on but I can't wait to see the difference after the rev limiter is up higher! Does it go to 10.5k? or have I just plucked that figure out of the sky?

I thought I would also give an update below Smile

So, the bike is now at 540ish miles and it has been booked in for it's first service next Friday. I have really enjoyed putting the miles on the bike, although with work I haven't been on it as much as I would have liked!

The 30mph lunge seemed to have gotten better but then it seemed to have made an unwanted appearance lately. I will do as UnknownStuntman advises and mention it to my dealer when I go back for the service. I did actually go in to the dealer when I was passing through to go to Blackpool (i drove) and mentioned this and he said it was normal and in the bigger Dukes it is actually worse!.. so maybe it is a characteristic rather than a fault? although digging about on the internetz proves that some people disagree with this statement!

Going back to the other issue I mentioned about the bike cutting out, this is still happening! It is getting to the point where it is begining to piss me off now as I try to let it warm up but then after about 1 and a half minutes it will then just stall. On my way to uni this morning it cut out while standing in traffic, I had filtered to second in the queue and ended up having to go to the side of the road as it didn't want to start. after a good 4 minutes it eventually started! Half a mile later I was sat in traffic and it happened again. I had to pull over to the side as the bike was having none of it. After a few minutes it eventually started and lasted 2 miles. As I was pulling in to uni it did it again so i ended up using the momentum I had left to go into the space where I park.

1 other issue, which is small, but with it being a new bike it is concerning is that there is a bolt/ nut that seems to have surface rust on it. I don't think that is acceptable on a bike of this age.

I also find the throttle annoying! Like you seem to have to twist it so much to get to the good stuff. Although, I have seen a video online which increases the size/ circumference of the tube/pipe so you don't need to twist it as far round!

I do love the bike (when it is playing ball!) it is great for giving confidence and it looks the nuts! (well it does to me Very Happy ) but these hiccups are really getting to me now as I can't enjoy the ride as I am worried about it cutting it and being vulnerable. I phoned the dealer today and he told me to bring the bike in, but with the dealer being 50 miles away it's not that simple. I guess if I had a local dealer then I wouldn't be as frustrated as I am now but I do have a good feeling that the service will help with the bike!

(Apologies for not nailing the technical jargon!)
Smile

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 05 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

DottyDuck wrote:
I can't wait to see the difference after the rev limiter is up higher! Does it go to 10.5k? or have I just plucked that figure out of the sky?
Yes, about that. Sounds pretty awesome above about 8k, but after first service you won't be able to see the red light any more, you'll be flat out everywhere and your eyes just don't see that low.

DottyDuck wrote:
Going back to the other issue I mentioned about the bike cutting out, this is still happening! It is getting to the point where it is begining to piss me off now
Yeaaah, about that. Gets me right in the pisser, too. Always when cheekily rolling up the longest queue of both-way stationary traffic, too. When it happens, DON'T try to fire it up straight away. Give it 10 seconds before you press the button. (Also, don't do what I did and rev the bejesus out of it to punish it, you'll only end up angrier that you probably damaged the engine Whistle )
Take the pillion pegs and handles off too, they're pointless. 17 stone bloke on the back makes the clutch smell funny.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 06 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty bolts, stalling, throttle surging, that would do my head in on a new bike. The throttle on my 690 is annoying at 30 also, but above that it's fine, it's just a toy for me so it's flat out most of the time anyway and it's happiest being ridden that way it seems. Mine's 7 years old now and the PO seems to have replaced a lot of the bolts, the ones that remain are a bit tatty. Stalling is a very common issue on newer KTM bikes, I think it's the lean fuelling but I've had 2 690's now and both have never stalled on me, however both had Akrapovic exhausts with maps to suit so could be why.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 06 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
I've had 2 690's now

How come you have had two?

drzsta
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 07 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty bolts, stalling and snatchy throttle are pretty much the foundations of ktm ownership. My 690 has had all 3 at varying points in its life.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 07 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the paintjob/graphics myself, a bit fussy for me but I'm am old fart with old farts taste. Laughing

Make a list of all the issues and tell them when you take it in for a service. It's a new bike, it shouldn't have issues. Don't let them fob you off with 'they're all like that' or similar.

I hope you really enjoy it Thumbs Up

nitrosurf
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:25 - 07 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This, in the plain black and orange scheme my old man's 955 Adventure came in. Taking about these things with my mates they're talked about as 'lesser' bikes, but i don't know why. Big singles were de rigueur in the old days, pretty cool if you ask me.

Thump thump thump!

🏍

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 08 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
How come you have had two?

Owned the other one 4 years ago now Thumbs Up Keep swapping bikes around recently, might even swap the 690 in for a newer model at some point. Or might just swap it for a 990 SMT, and the DRZ for a GSXS 1000, honestly not sure keep changing my mind Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1