Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Too close.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Videos
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:16 - 25 Sep 2016    Post subject: Too close..... Reply with quote

Shocked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRCneVUSWh0&feature=youtu.be&t=1

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 25 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bit close.
but at least he knows how to steer.

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:38 - 25 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
I taught him all he knows.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 26 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loadsaroom.
That was one of those moments when you think back after your ride and ask yourself why you did it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't even do that if the police were chasing me.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Loadsaroom.
That was one of those moments when you think back after your ride and ask yourself why you did it.

Yup.
I bet the lorry driver was completely unaware that that event even occurred.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it was an unnecessary risk, if he intended to do it at the first place. If he made a mistake prior to that and this was a split second decision, as slamming your brakes on a diesel soaked roundabout could be fatal, then well done. Thumbs Up

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard procedure on the A406 and surrounding areas.

Was kinda close though, but big truck speeds are constant and predictable, so it's not as bad as doing shit like that infront of a van/car.

Twat though, but impressive as you just know he meant it.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 14 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soo this happened today! Stopped in time, he (surprisingly) looked right at the last second and stopped with minimal contact...

Makes you think though! I appreciate I should have been more prepared for it - complacency is what did it - same road day in day out.

Doesn't change the fact that a single glance to the right would have stopped it.

https://youtu.be/p08xo5T5TcE

Enjoy!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 14 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

More brakes less speed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 14 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
I bet the lorry driver was completely unaware that that event even occurred.

I was thinking the same.
The brake lights didnt even flicker on.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 14 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Soo this happened today!

You're on the wrong side of the road with oncoming traffic and rather than stopping to seem to want to rev your engine which isn't perhaps the best way to solve the problem.

Blind driver sure but really, you don't do yourself any favours there.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I get all that, revving wasn't on purpose - side effect of the winter mitts and gloves (couldn't even reach the horn that quickly!)

Let's not play shoulda woulda coulda eh?

Video is for entertainment only I'm not apportioning blame. I even said in the video no harm done.

You can't tell me you wouldn't overtake a line of standstill traffic if the road was wide enough?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
More brakes less speed.

Agreed, complacency.. although it wasn't that fast - I just couldn't jam the brakes on because of the shitty gravel.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
You can't tell me you wouldn't overtake a line of standstill traffic if the road was wide enough?

That's exactly how I wrote my bike off. Now I know to proceed more carefully if I can't fully see what's ahead. In your video as soon as I saw the van I knew that's where it would happen. That was the worst bit of braking I've seen since the shit shit shit guy who ended up between two lorries Smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgP1UkbrfF8

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

That's exactly how I wrote my bike off. Now I know to proceed more carefully if I can't fully see what's ahead. In your video as soon as I saw the van I knew that's where it would happen. That was the worst bit of braking I've seen since the shit shit shit guy who ended up between two lorries Smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgP1UkbrfF8

Ah I remember him. Didn't he say his throttle stuck on or something? I never understood why he didn't just pull the clutch in...

Fair enough. I didn't write mine off - not a scratch Smile I know how much Brake I can apply on my bike on that road at that speed thanks. 👍

It must be amazing to be that switched on and aware of everything, that you never make mistakes, and that nothing in your life goes tits up randomly to play on your mind while riding so you let your concentration lapse for a second... good luck with that btw.

I've been riding for 18 years and never had an accident so I must know a thing or two and be doing something right. 🏍😂😀😀👍

Thanks for your input.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Ah I remember him. Didn't he say his throttle stuck on or something? I never understood why he didn't just pull the clutch in...

I thought he claimed brake failure, I just thought it looked like poor obs.

Quote:
Fair enough. I didn't write mine off - not a scratch Smile I know how much Brake I can apply on my bike on that road at that speed thanks.

And had that van been closer to the u-turning car? That's what happened to me, the vehicle was emerging through a queue of traffic. All I'm saying is the one thing I really have learnt is always use caution when you can't fully see what's ahead/around you. How fast were you going anyway? It looks like you took forever to stop (did the ABS kick in?).

Quote:
It must be amazing to be that switched on and aware of everything, that you never make mistakes, and that nothing in your life goes tits up randomly to play on your mind while riding so you let your concentration lapse for a second... good luck with that btw.

I never said that, and I know particularly with roads you ride regularly you can start thinking about what normally happens and not always be as alert or cautious as you should be. I also know I can f**k up, as can other people.

Quote:
I've been riding for 18 years and never had an accident so I must know a thing or two and be doing something right.

Until that day? Smile A u-turn/filtering crash on a main road, sounds clear-cut, it isn't. That would (probably) be a drawn out claim if it went through insurance.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

I do my utmost not to piss off people I meet during my commute - because I meet them every day. Forcing oncoming traffic to move over because you're in their lane is likely to piss them off. I'll do it, but I wont do it like that, and to be fair to drivers round here they usually pull to the left and let you share the lane.

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

side effect of the winter mitts and gloves

Then I'd be inclined to remove them. If you can't brake properly with them on then this was a good warning shot. You don't want to be on the motorway at 70 discovering that. Also, it's not even cold yet, WTF.

M.C wrote:
In your video as soon as I saw the van I knew that's where it would happen.

^^ This - stands out as exactly the spot something would happen.

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
I've been riding for 18 years and never had an accident so I must know a thing or two and be doing something right.

You've just had an accident. You can no longer say you've been riding for 18 years and never had an accident. How many events like this have taken place that you're pretending didn't happen during those 18 years?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair comments from both, I obviously meant until that day Smile Yes I do class it as an accident Smile I dont live in the same reality as that weird cyclist (wolf) Smile BRilliantly funny thread that btw - kept me entertained all morning!

About 18mph I think, ABS kicked in and it confused me a little - I probably relesed the brake slightly automatically (first time Ive experienced ABS on a bike.)

And in response to the overtaking pissing people off... I dont think it does, but we are each entitled to our opinion. Smile

I dont generally ride in the other lane with oncoming traffic tbh, Id be surprised If I actually did - but if I did then I take it back. I either stay in the same lane as traffic my side, or I use the hatched markings. (But as i say, I may be wrong on this occasion, I havent physically checked the video since you wrote it.)

I was considering it with the mitts, But I leave for work at 6 and its been 3/4 degrees the last 2 weeks here.

And yes I agree - Id imagine the insurance claim would end up 50/50 at best.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Forcing oncoming traffic to move over because you're in their lane is likely to piss them off. I'll do it, but I wont do it like that, and to be fair to drivers round here they usually pull to the left and let you share the lane.

In London they just drive at you giving you the wanker sign. I actually go a different way early in the morning, as cars heading into town are allowed to use the bus lane so clog up the whole road, yet coming the other way they choose not to use the bus lane and play chicken with filtering bikers/cyclists Thinking

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

About 18mph I think, ABS kicked in and it confused me a little - I probably relesed the brake slightly automatically (first time Ive experienced ABS on a bike.)

I was thinking it looked about 20mph. I'm not gonna judge you (too much Wink) cos I think generally ABS is too intrusive.

Quote:
And yes I agree - Id imagine the insurance claim would end up 50/50 at best.

Mine went 75/25 (in my favour), a famous one the biker won 100% but most go split liability. I saw one go 90/10 Confused

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, remind me not to ride through London! - Not really on my list of places to take the bike tbh! Smile I'll stick with Scottish roads and commuting in the midlands Smile lol

Yeah Ive learned that now (ABS!) I should have just let it do its thing and kept the brake on...

75/25 is a good result really! Wow. Well done you! Ideally I'd like to not have the accident to begin with!

Here's to planning better! Smile Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Videos All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1