Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First bike advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Zombiekilljoy...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:58 - 13 Oct 2016    Post subject: First bike advice Reply with quote

I've got the money to get into biking now. Im 17 and I've only been considering getting a bike the last few months. I'm thinking of getting a sinnis sp125. Looked into it, seems like a good bike, mostly good reviews. Looks and sounds nice and went into a dealer a few weeks ago and sat on it and loved it. Any advice for me?

carpe_diem
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:45 - 13 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a second hand jap 125 be cheaper? How much is this Sinnis bike?

Zombiekilljoy...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:04 - 13 Oct 2016    Post subject: Carpe_diem Reply with quote

£1349 brand spanking new. Trying to find a second hand one with not too much luck :/

carpe_diem
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:30 - 13 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Carpe_diem Reply with quote

Zombiekilljoy39 wrote:
£1349 brand spanking new. Trying to find a second hand one with not too much luck :/

Apparently you're looking at a good time; impending winter means there'll be more deals about as fewer people wanting to buy. I'd keep looking for a decent second hand one. You can definitely get a decent runner cheaper and you won't be so upset if it gets dropped or scuffed.

My Suzuki EN125 cost me £625 delivered, by the way, and that was I'm summer, so there are deals to be had if you keep your eyes open.

Zombiekilljoy...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:36 - 13 Oct 2016    Post subject: Carpe_diem Reply with quote

Ah alright thanks mate. I'm keeping my eyes open hopefully I'll get lucky Very Happy

carpe_diem
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:55 - 13 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Carpe_diem Reply with quote

Zombiekilljoy39 wrote:
Ah alright thanks mate. I'm keeping my eyes open hopefully I'll get lucky Very Happy

Fingers crossed. Good bunch on here too so if you post a potential bike and ask questions I'm sure you'll get some help and guidance Smile

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 13 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up my first YBR for £1050 with 8k on the clock, and just bought my second for £800 with 10k. If I wanted to, I could probably get £1200 for it in the spring.

You're going to want something else after a while, and the Sinnis is going to be worth about £800 in a year. A second hand Jap bike is going to keep its value.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:10 - 14 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm minded to agree. You'll be keeping it for 2 years, at which point pretty much any Chinese branded bike will be lucky to fetch £500. If you do go new then I'd suggest the Lexmoto ZSA or ZSB purely on the basis that they're the cheapest around and you'll lose less.

A used YBR125 does make more sense though, or a CBF125 if you can find one that's not been eaten by the fluxworm yet.

Anyway, first things first, get your CBT done and see if you actually enjoy it.

Also, enjoy your imminent Teffing. Whistle

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 14 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: First bike advice Reply with quote

Zombiekilljoy39 wrote:
I've only been considering getting a bike the last few months. Any advice for me?

First find a training school and book up your CBT.
Which bike you get is unimportant without doing your CBT.
That doesn't mean you should stop researching but what's the point if you find out that you hate riding on your CBT (and some people do).
Good luck.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 14 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Carpe_diem Reply with quote

Zombiekilljoy39 wrote:

What's your budget, or are you needing to buy one on finance?
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

symonh2000
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:29 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recommend the used YBR approach because when you come to sell you will loose very little.

If you have to have new chinese I would go as cheap as possible, that way you will minimise your losses when the time comes to sell it.

The Jianshe JS-125 is very similar to the YBR125 in many ways and is £799 + OTR charges on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125cc-BLACK-COMMUTER-MOTORBIKE-2016-MODEL-JIANSHE-JS125-6A-LEARNER-LEGAL-/271102431149?hash=item3f1ef6cfad:g:aEcAAOSwEppUOJpR

In fact my local bike dealer appears to be selling the exact same bike, only with Zontes branding for £1600OTR

But be prepared to keep tinkering with it. Make sure the oil, spark plug and possibly the tyres are replaced before you use it as the original supplied items are not much good. Also check all of the fastenings are tight before you ride.

You can also expect pretty much zero customer support and sometimes difficult parts availability, although that aspect has got a lot better recently.

It is up to you really.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever bike you buy, make sure:

1. The bike has owners manual (or there online pdf you can download)
2. There is Service parts catalog that you can access online or download in pdf.
3. There is Service manual available that you can download in pdf.

Pretty sure YBR ticks all points above.

Ask your Sinnis dealer is that the case for the Sinnis? If yes by all means buy it.

You need the service catalog so that you can find and order parts. You need the Service manual to explain you how to do stuff on your bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

symonh2000 wrote:

But be prepared to keep tinkering with it. Make sure the oil, spark plug and possibly the tyres are replaced before you use it as the original supplied items are not much good. Also check all of the fastenings are tight before you ride.

Not stricly true, be prepared to keep it clean, look after it, in the way they will tell you to do on on your cbt day, but constant tinkering, nah not particularly likely, no more so than any other bike, and I've had a number of chinese bikes over time, in fact I still have 3 + a scooter.

symonh2000 wrote:

You can also expect pretty much zero customer support and sometimes difficult parts availability, although that aspect has got a lot better recently.

It is up to you really.

Again, not strictly true either, Sinnis have a pretty good reputation by all accounts, can't say I have any personal experience, as I haven't owned a Sinnis bike. However, Lexmoto, Mash, Honley, WK, I haven't as yet hit any snags with, as far as parts supply & customer service goes, well, a couple of niggles early on with WK, but not so now. There will be others that are fine as well, again that I don't personally have experience with.

To mitigate potential issues, it will be handy to work out the base model. For example, the Sinnis SP125 is a Jianshe JS-125 7F, now, this is very closely based on the Yamaha YBR125, which is also manufactured at the same factory.

Personally speaking, I don't see that you'd be taking any undue risk buying an SP125.

However, as has already been said, get your CBT done first, that way you'll then know if 2 wheels and you are actually suited Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:41 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Whatever bike you buy, make sure:

1. The bike has owners manual (or there online pdf you can download)
2. There is Service parts catalog that you can access online or download in pdf.
3. There is Service manual available that you can download in pdf.

Pretty sure YBR ticks all points above.

Ask your Sinnis dealer is that the case for the Sinnis? If yes by all means buy it.

You need the service catalog so that you can find and order parts. You need the Service manual to explain you how to do stuff on your bike.

Sinnis owner manuals are available to download.

I've yet to see workshop manuals for them anywhere, I wonder if the Sinnis person on here could provide them for us.

A service parts catalogue sounds unnecessary.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

at 17, I think insurance quotes might be worth doing first too,

might be a suprising difference between prices for different makes and models for you, which might influence your choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I wonder if the Sinnis person on here could provide them for us.

Well he still hasn't replied to my question in the thread that he started.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:53 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Sinnis have a pretty good reputation by all accounts.

I thought Sable said that parts supply is rubbish, with them repeatedly sending out the wrong parts, or used parts sold as new.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

I thought Sable said that parts supply is rubbish, with them repeatedly sending out the wrong parts, or used parts sold as new.

Fair point, in my defence, I did say that I hadn't any personal experience with Sinnis.

To be fair, seeing what the SP125 is based on, the OP would possibly do just as well getting the Jainshe JS125-6A from Learner Legal.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:56 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Anyway, first things first, get your CBT done and see if you actually enjoy it.

Its a fair point.

Mate of mine wanted a bike when he left the RAF, did his CBT and its the last time hes been on a bike :/
Said he just couldnt ride one.

Lifes funny like that, he can fly jets and helicopters but cant ride a bike!

as for me i can ride a bike but cant fly.......

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 17 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

I did.

Kramda had the same issue of secound hand parts when paying for new parts.

The dealer you put me onto in Scotland that stopped selling Sinnis bikes, stopped because of the bad scooters and parts supply.

The Sinnis staff are hopeless at mechanical jobs, including skipping PDI.

If you buy a Sinnis bike, I am confident it won't explode for no reason. It should last. But make sure you get it from a really good dealer, and find alternative parts sources (mash or herald).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1