Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New to the forum, new to bikes.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:34 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: New to the forum, new to bikes. Reply with quote

Hi all, lovely place you have here.

I wasnt sure if I should make a thread yet, as I dont currently have a bike but thought I should say ''hi'' before I venture off into the forum and ask n00b questions on everyones thread. I know, search button right?!?

So a quick history, first bike was when I was 14, my (now ex) girlfriends father gave me an old honda h100 he had in his garage, as he wanted the space and it didnt run. I saved up for 2 months to buy my first tool set (paper rounds and car washing doesnt pay well) so that I could get it running, despite having zero mechanical knowledge. I hadnt yet learned that google knows everything, so there were many evenings spent taking parts off, trying to work out what it was/what it did/is it broken. Eventually, after taking off at least 50% of the engine I gave up and asked one of my neighbors (a biker) what he thought might be wrong with it. Turns out the fuel tap was broken Laughing I used the fields behind my house as a testing facility to see if it all worked. I then rode the thing into a tree.

At 16, I bought a bright yellow Gilera DNA 50. My friends called it 'the wasp'. It looked like a wasp. Sounded like a wasp. Going around a DC bend at top speed (45) I fell off, after my open visor sucked something into my eye. A wasp.

After this I didnt own a bike, I just rode friends bikes. a kx 125, crf250 and crf 450 all were victims of my cack handed riding.

After this I decided to buy a car (more seats for girls, see) and continued bike-less until now. At 23, I hate cars despite owning some relatively quick ones, its not the same.

So, the plan. 2 options, either A) Buy something along the lines of a dt125, cbt, get some experience and then DAS. B) Save money, go do DAS (once I am 24).

Im more interested in enduro/supermoto's for now, as I think it will still be good fun, without the license losing power. I just need to decide if I can put up with the servicing of the more 'highly strung' bikes like wr450's, or if a DRZ400sm might suit me better. I want it to be able to green lane a little, maybe even do an enduro one day, but I dont mind swapping wheels for that so that I dont have to use knobblies on the road.

Sorry for the essay, seemed rude to just say ''hello'' Thumbs Up

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum

You are going to need a CBT if you are going to go and do a DAS and they are vaid for 2 years, so you may as well get it done!

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:23 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did wonder that! Makes sense. Its more - Do I buy a 125 first and run that for a year, or jump straight onto something bigger. I know the sensible option is probably 125... but the stupid part of me is saying ''nope. you arent going for a massive bike anyway, you'll be fine on a 400''. Registering here didnt really help, looking through the threads at everyone elses bikes makes me just want to go buy shiny things Mr. Green

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:29 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my mind, do the CBT, buy a secondhand jap 125 for a sensible price, get experience, do DAS buy big bike

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:29 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Re: New to the forum, new to bikes. Reply with quote

Lowsider wrote:
Hi all, lovely place you have here.

Oh, you, stop it Embarassed

ehh. Anywho. If you already own and have experience of quick cars, then mechanical grip, rules of the road and common sense should be good. You know how to ride a bike too.
A 125, unless you are a fan of small bikes or have financial issues, will get on your tits. This might be a good thing and encourage you to pass. But you might do better to feck the 125, save money and get your CBT and DAS done in one sitting so to speak.

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:24 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I wont be commuting etc on the bike, just riding for the fun of it. I honestly think that if I go down the 125 route it will just sit there until I do my DAS. It just doesnt appeal to me, but Im not sure if its worth doing it anyway to gain some experience. Apart from the obvious power differences, my (somewhat limited) experience with smaller bikes was that they are more uncomfortable, more unstable and in general less fun.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had way more fun on my NSR 125 than my current CBR900. Loved wringing it's neck everywhere and wish I still had it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowsider wrote:
I did wonder that! Makes sense. Its more - Do I buy a 125 first and run that for a year, or jump straight onto something bigger. I know the sensible option is probably 125...

He got you; he's making the point that you're going to have to have a CBT to do the DAS so there's no harm in doing it now. If you spend a grand on a 125, as long as you don't entirely trash it you'll get most if not all of your money back anyway, so when you're 24 you can sell it to fund the DAS course.

Unless you mean you'd go out and buy a 125 new. To which I'd respond with 'don't'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:04 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Arry, my fault. I understand that you have to do your CBT regardless. I cant afford a new 125, all of my kit is old/knackered so I will have to buy new boots, helmet, jacket etc aswell. I'm not going to risk riding with crap gear on, I would rather wait and save for decent stuff. Its going to take me a while to save up anyway, in that time I will have a good think about it.

alt tab
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:21 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're 23, that means less than a year to DAS.

Get a 125 in the grand range, do your CBT, ride it until you pass DAS, sell it (or keep it until you find dream bike). Go the 125 route, it's less than a year, and the months you'll be on the road, instead of dreaming about it, will be invaluable when it comes to tackling the DAS.

At least that's what people tell me, and that's my experience of it thus far.

I'm 24 in 2 months, will be doing my DAS ideally around March next year. Got my CBT in August, haven't regretted a penny spent. Smile

As for gear, I stupidly have just jacket, gloves and helmet due to money constraints, I know I should pick up boots and trousers, and I will in time. If there's only one upshot to riding without proper gear, it's that you have very little reason to even contemplate falling off Wink

edit2: And furthermore, I ride a XR 125, a real entry level enduro by Honda, got it for just over a grand. This time, on a 125, is also vital to learning and not being afraid of taking it apart and trying to fix things yourself. I had a CG before this which I learnt some invaluable lessons on whilst fixing it and such forth.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went slowly up the cc's - and I probably would have still been riding a tiddler had the DVLA not written to me telling me it was compulsory for me to do the CBT because I hadn't done the test...

Grrrr!!!

So I thought sod it, and opted for the DAS with CBT option. I still went out and bought a 400cc as my first 'big' bike. People laughed and said I'd get bored. I owned and rode that 400cc for 4years, I loved it. Thumbs Up

Its up to you at the end of the day. Only you will know what will suit you.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
I still went out and bought a 400cc as my first 'big' bike.

Which bike was that Clanger?

TallPaul_S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:13 - 16 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

alt tab wrote:
You're 23, that means less than a year to DAS.

Get a 125 in the grand range, do your CBT, ride it until you pass DAS, sell it (or keep it until you find dream bike). Go the 125 route, it's less than a year, and the months you'll be on the road, instead of dreaming about it, will be invaluable when it comes to tackling the DAS.

At least that's what people tell me, and that's my experience of it thus far.

I'm 24 in 2 months, will be doing my DAS ideally around March next year. Got my CBT in August, haven't regretted a penny spent. Smile

As for gear, I stupidly have just jacket, gloves and helmet due to money constraints, I know I should pick up boots and trousers, and I will in time. If there's only one upshot to riding without proper gear, it's that you have very little reason to even contemplate falling off Wink

edit2: And furthermore, I ride a XR 125, a real entry level enduro by Honda, got it for just over a grand. This time, on a 125, is also vital to learning and not being afraid of taking it apart and trying to fix things yourself. I had a CG before this which I learnt some invaluable lessons on whilst fixing it and such forth.

Do this.

CBT now, a year or less on a 125, which will teach you A LOT in that time. Then, DAS when you're 24 and you've got several thousand miles on a 125 under your belt.

I've just done similar - CBT in March, 125cc Honda Varadero bought in April, 5000 miles done between then and now, in all weathers, filtering, commuting, riding for pleasure etc.

Yesterday, I passed my Mod1 and Mod 2, with 2 minors on the mod2 and a clean sheet on the mod1. Had an hour on an NC750 a few weeks back, then spent 2 mornings training on an ER6N (around 12 hours riding) with the tests on the third day.

A 125 can be great fun, but you will tire of it's limitations after a few months, by which time your 24th birthday will be in sight and you can look forward to booking your DAS. Very Happy

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:13 - 17 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Mind made up. I was speaking to a friend about my choice earlier and he said I could have a little ride on his bike to see if I still felt comfortable/confident (he has a relatively long driveway so used that rather than going on the road). Thats fine, no probs, he has a cb500 that should be relatively easy. Nope. Been out and bought a zxr636 (I think) and it was horrible. Scared of the throttle, wobbling around, so much weight on my wrists. Obviously I told him ''thanks very much, just like I thought, easy!'' but it gave me the kick I needed. Im not a naturally talented biker, just an average 'tard.

Off to look at 125 prices.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 17 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowsider wrote:

Off to look at 125 prices.

Fair enough dude, enjoy the journey to full license, fun to be had on all types of two wheels!

99% of people will say get a Jap 125, get second hand. You can sell them after a year and not lose much money. That is good advice.

But glance your eye over the alternative. I road a AJS JS125 for 3 years and 20k km, kept outside for 2 years. Never had a problem not of my own doing. That was a bike at £1,400.
Sinnis are selling the latest incarnation by the looks of it. Same frame, engine, exhaust, wheels and probably other stuff. But looks a bit funkier. 300 miles to a tank. Only downside is it's a bit slower (5mph) than the CBF125. And you are looking at a 33% hit in the first year.
If it is made by Jianshe, they are part owned by Yamaha and make the YBR for Yamaha. Which is why their 125 engine and bikes share so many parts with Yamaha YBR.
But at £1,100 and 24mth warranty on parts, seems a steal
https://sinnismotorcycles.com/motorcycle.php?motorcycle=Sinnis%20ST%20125

They do a trailie for £1,600 and it looks to be a Qingqi who are something like top 5 manufacturer of bikes by volume in the world.
Uses a Suzuki engine, pretty bullet proof
https://sinnismotorcycles.com/motorcycle.php?motorcycle=Sinnis%20Blade%20125

I could well be wrong about the above. But both bikes look very much as I outlined to me at least. Might get confirmation in another thread where a guy from Sinnis has posted.

In the end, most will say by a YBR125, CG125, XR125. Own, learn, have fun and sell for the same you paid for it.
Sound advice probably.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 17 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Clanger wrote:
I still went out and bought a 400cc as my first 'big' bike.

Which bike was that Clanger?

The Honda Bros...as discussed in another thread at the moment, oddly enough!
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 7 days between these two posts...

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:51 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an update (after far, far too long): Finally booked and completed my CBT. I had some rubbish health problems that put pretty much everything on hold, but now that things are looking a bit better I decided I didn't want to wait any longer.

I really enjoyed it and booked 2 further lessons while I was there. After waiting for so long I got a bit too excited, and also bought a bike (2006 CBR600F) which is now sat there waiting for me to pass my mod 1 and 2. I will try and get a pic up, but not sure how to at the moment.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a bike ready to go but no licence for it is definitely going to give you a kick up the bum!

Good luck to you Thumbs Up

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol loved the bit about the wasps! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, I did the same, buying a bike before doing my DAS - CBR600F too incidentally (but waaaaaaaaaay older, mine is 92) its a real incentive not to fuck up, knowing that the moment you get home you can jump on your own bike and go and throw it around Cool

I'm guessing from what you said that you didn't get a 125 in the interim, so you don't have the riding miles in. If you have been driving a car then you will already have some road sense but riding a bike is a wholly different skill set but you are young and will learn quickly!

Best of Luck! Incidentally, what bike are you training on?

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowsider wrote:
Do I buy a 125 first and run that for a year, or jump straight onto something bigger. I know the sensible option is probably 125... but the stupid part of me is saying ''nope.

That's the wrong way round. Unless you're using it for inner city commuting, a larger bike is much easier to ride.
Do your DAS as soon as you can.

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:30 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamsin wrote:

Best of Luck! Incidentally, what bike are you training on?

I have a fair amount of car experience, but I am fully aware its a different world. Im really excited, but also pretty nervous still, so I am hoping that the nerves and general fear keep me safe until I develop some actual skill.

Im currently still training on a Honda cb125f (I think, new version of the CG125 sort of style) and then once they are happy that I wont implode they have a Honda NC750s that I can use. Im hoping to fill in if they get any cancellations as Im stuck at 1 lesson a week at the moment. I have my theory booked for early November so fingers crossed once thats done I can book my mod 1 shortly after.

Waffles: Its killing me! There are only so many excuses to go to the garage before people realise that you are going in, sitting on your bike, making noises and pressing all the buttons and then leaving again. Twice a day so far.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowsider wrote:
Waffles: Its killing me! There are only so many excuses to go to the garage before people realise that you are going in, sitting on your bike, making noises and pressing all the buttons and then leaving again. Twice a day so far.

I did the same thing, I bought a big bike and then failed my Mod 2 and couldn't get a retest for another 8 weeks Rolling Eyes

But you need to make sure that all the buttons still work, the seat is comfortable, the battery is fully charged and the bike turns over. Probably a good idea to let it run every so often too just so that it doesn't forget how to bike. Oh and the mirrors are correctly adjusted!

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a good point actually... having left my CBR sit for a month the battery flattened and I then had to push her up a very steep driveway before I could try and bump start her.... not the most confidence inspiring way to start your big bike career Laughing

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:36 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowsider wrote:

There are only so many excuses to go to the garage before people realise that you are going in, sitting on your bike, making noises and pressing all the buttons and then leaving again. Twice a day so far.

I can totally relate Shifty I'm a pretty new rider so I haven't yet built up the confidence to ride during the busy times of the day (In London this is pretty much daylight hours) - So when a few days pass and I haven't jumped out (due to work etc), I end up starting the bike for 10minutes or so, who knows what my neighbours think Bounce!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2