High Mileage First Bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:25 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatbadger wrote:
I was reading Hell's Angel leader Sonny Barger's book a while back and came across this gem (googled up nicely)

You do know that he was kicked out of 'The club', don't you? And when he claimed that 'the club' had put out a million dollar contact on him; 'The club's' reply was? "Why would we waste a dollar, let alone a million, to kill him, when he's doing such a great job of it all on his own for free!" I believe they eventually had him back just to try and shut him up!! Bloke is a media whore and so much of everything he's ever written as far as I can tell is contentious simply to stay in the lime light, and usually lacks much real credibility.

However, I will confess, to being acquainted with a long term member of 'the club' in this country, who I was reminded of earlier today due to his agoraphobia.... he physically couldn't get in a car, would you believe.

Rather amusing anecdote; he came round one day to ask if I could get his crash hat out of his missus car, as she'd locked it in the boot after they'd done the shopping! He had two kids, and family outings involved him following his missus and the kids in the Polo on the GS hard-tail he rode for years!

Bumped into him in a pub, a few years ago, proud as punch with his 'first' Harley, after his missus had dragged him over to 3X and treated him to one for I think it was his 40th!

Year later, bumped into him on a Honda Shaddow, he was much embarrassed about. He still had the Harley.... but confessed that he'd been warned by most of 'The Club' he'd not get on with as an every day rider like his hard tail, so it was in the garage, saved for sunny sundays.

"Biggest problem with it!" he offered, "People keep thinking I must be an accountant!" standing there, in his originals and oil stained cut that had never seen the washing machine, "Honestly, DO I look like a fcuking accountant!" aghast adding "Seriously, what do you say when someone asks you advice on PCP's! I told them I never took the stuff, just a little weed!!!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
agoraphobia

You mean claustrophobia?

I have to admit I didn't know SB was booted out, I didn't finish the book (if that was in there at all) Laughing

It was very dry and devoid of sex, drugs, and rock n' roll. Just lots of information about how chapters organised their meetings, ordering printer ink, that sort of thing.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatbadger wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
agoraphobia

You mean claustrophobia?

An Agoraphobic riding a motorbike must be the most terrified person in the world. Laughing

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

faffergotgunz wrote:
Cruiser....An open EMPTY STRAIGHT road, a laid back style with the tune of a V twin engine.

FTFY Cool

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:32 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Tut tut, to ride a bike bigger than 125 on the roads you need to already have a CBT and have L plates on the big bike whilst you're accompanied by a DSA Qualified Instructor who is in radio contact with you at all times.

Why?

Either your provisional entitlement is temporarily enabled during the CBT, or it ent.

If it ent enabled then you ent able to ride anything.

It it ent ent enabled, then you can ride anything which you're entitled to ride due to your age, as long as you follow the other requirements of your provisional entitlement i.e. L plates, hi-vis, radio contact with a DAS instructor in possession of his certificate. If you're 24+, the CBT instructor is also a DAS instructor, and you're plated and wally bibbed, I see no reason why you can't do the CBT on a Firebusa.

Thing is, I've never been able to find the magic words that specifically enable entitlement during the CBT. Wouldn't it be a wheeze if everyone doing the CBT was riding otherwise than in accordance. Wink

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:40 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatbadger wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
agoraphobia

You mean claustrophobia?

Err... yeah.. probably... it was something Snowie was watching about a woman who couldn't leave her house that reminded me of Clive not being able to get in a car.
Flatbadger wrote:
I have to admit I didn't know SB was booted out, I didn't finish the book (if that was in there at all) Laughing

It's been a few years since I was loaned a copy of one of his bio's which ISTR was quite tortiouse to read & I dont think I managed to cover to cover; and I've read a couple of others around the topic; But as far as I can tell; he claims to have reconciled the HA with the Hippes they had been beating up for being 'anti 'merican' burning the flag, introducing them all to pot, acid and speed then then hired out the chapter as film extras; used the appearance fees to buy more drugs; and get 'in' with the Hollywood set, then scarpered with the money!
Was sent down for drugs; tried to use his HA affiliation to get 'protection' on the inside; got found out, and so claimed they put a contract out on him to get himself in solitary; where it was alleged he must have turned states for the 'protection', and wrote his first bio...
Released, he was almost the sole survivor of his generation of HA, having been locked up for his own protection for so long; and with a publishing contract to fulfill, and a tome on motorcycle maintenance failing to make the best sellers list, wrote some 'lifestyle fiction' about the bike gangs, and got himself hired as an 'authenticity consultant' by Hollywood again!!!!
Out of all of it, how much is fact and how much is fiction, is bludy hard to tell, and ultimately, I concluded, not really worth the figuring!!!

Last edited by Teflon-Mike on 23:06 - 23 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:53 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ste wrote:
Tut tut, to ride a bike bigger than 125 on the roads you need to already have a CBT and have L plates on the big bike whilst you're accompanied by a DSA Qualified Instructor who is in radio contact with you at all times.

Why?

Either your provisional entitlement is temporarily enabled during the CBT, or it ent.

If it ent enabled then you ent able to ride anything.

It it ent ent enabled, then you can ride anything which you're entitled to ride due to your age, as long as you follow the other requirements of your provisional entitlement i.e. L plates, hi-vis, radio contact with a DAS instructor in possession of his certificate. If you're 24+, the CBT instructor is also a DAS instructor, and you're plated and wally bibbed, I see no reason why you can't do the CBT on a Firebusa.

Thing is, I've never been able to find the magic words that specifically enable entitlement during the CBT. Wouldn't it be a wheeze if everyone doing the CBT was riding otherwise than in accordance. Wink

There is a complete lack of magic words stating exactly what you're allowed to ride when doing a CBT.

I was hoping for you to be quoting chapter and verse rather than going on about what ent ent enabled Firebusa. Razz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 06:53 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the rub, I don't believe that there is either chapter or verse about provisional-provisional entitlement during the CBT.

My belief (and it's only that) is that either anything age-appropriate is fine, or that nothing is.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

throwyourbike wrote:
Ste wrote:

That's what I thought to be honest but I didn't argue, was glad to get off the Varadero.
For the countryside run I followed him, then for the city section I was leading and he was giving me directions via radio.

That is the best 125 ever made IMO. It's the only one I've ever felt at all safe(ish) on.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, should have read more than one page. I see the nasty people at BCF have chased the poor chap away. Laughing

Where's GB Bikers when you need it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3