Where to buy my security?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:02 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
Chaining motorcycles together would also help.
Not as in closing your chain around the wheel of another bike, of course, but as in looping your security chain through that of another bike. This way scumbags cannot just lift your bike and load it into a van, but at the same time the owner of the other bike can open his chain and leave without you being there. I do wonder, however, how many fellow genius bikers would realise this, and how many would go ballistic thinking: oh no, he has chained me! Smile

Haha awesome idea! But yeah I bet there will be loads of panicked faces who will sit there with worry until you return to your bike to "unchain" them Clapping

It could also be awkward as you suggested, if the biker leaves within 2 minutes of you parking up.

On another note, I just saw these on amazon, do you think they'll be of any benefit, or just tacky?

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/814fon-rgbl._sl1500_.jpg

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on who the thief is. Most will be aware of this ruse.

Besides, professional thieves will take your bike, move it somewhere nearby, hide it and wait a couple of days. If it's still there when they come back there was no tracker on it.

Some have lined workshops to stop the signal getting out while they work on removing the tracker. They're prepared for it. If they want the bike they'll have it. I read an account by one ex-thief who said he used to freak when a bike *didn't* have a tracker on it, because he couldn't tell if it was tracker-free or just really well installed.

But a tracker-sticker on a standard 125 will be assumed as bluff, I imagine.

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:42 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
But a tracker-sticker on a standard 125 will be assumed as bluff, I imagine.

Darn!

Does anyone know anything about the benefits of going for a tempered Almax chain as opposed to a standard galvanised 16mm long link 2m chain? There's obviously a big price difference (almax being 6x the price) and both are claimed to be bolt-cutter proof..

In the context of my humble YBR125 though.. If I had an R1 I wouldn't spare many expenses for security. Pound Coin

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's bolt cutter proof and there's "claimed" bolt cutter proof, I would say that's the difference.

like people have said a 125 probably won't attract much attention, go with the option that seems right for you.

also as for the tracker, most people that have an actual tracker wouldn't be advertising the fact they have a tracker, but like people have said professionals will assume you do.

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:48 - 29 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Christ on a fucking raft!

When are all of the fucking motherfucking motherfuckers going to be rounded-up and gassed, FFS? Evil or Very Mad
Brick Wall

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:04 - 29 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuffin Nora wrote:
Oh, Christ on a fucking raft!

When are all of the fucking motherfucking motherfuckers going to be rounded-up and gassed, FFS? Evil or Very Mad
Brick Wall

This. This is our solution.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:17 - 29 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:

at my work-site i have nothing to chain too in westminster so i park in a motorcycle bay with an abus disc lock on the front 11mm one, and a xena disc lock alarm on the back. and park next to a hayabusa Laughing

Many Q-park car parks are free for motorcycles in Westminster. You shouldn't keep yours there for more than a month. If you register, you get a pass for £5. Or, if you're stingy Smile you can just buzz reception and ask them to let you through every time.

https://www.q-park.co.uk/parking-with-q-park/park-with-q-park/london-parking/motorcycle-parking-

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 29 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:

As funny as it is, that has to be a joke pic.
He's already using a long anti-pinch pin and squire lock through the rear wheel anyway, if they're breaking the chain, they're breaking the chain.
Surely the same could be accomplished with a 2m chain and anti-pinch pin through the frame? Thinking

OP, If it helps I've only had shit commuters like a Scootehy, a CG125 and CB500.
I have had more than several attempts made on my bikes, each time they brought bolt croppers only.
Every time they failed (until I left the CB500 on the steering lock overnight, dipshit move)

Funnily enough the first attempt on the Scootehy, some shithead failed to bolt crop a £15 OXFORD Chain Laughing

What have I learned? if your bike is shit, the thieves are NOT smart.
Also that my Pragmasis chains don't even show signs of scarring, so either the thieves that failed to cut my weaker chains were petrified to try the blue beauty, or it's nigh on impossible.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:41 - 29 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Londoner2015 wrote:

As funny as it is, that has to be a joke pic.
He's already using a long anti-pinch pin and squire lock through the rear wheel anyway, if they're breaking the chain, they're breaking the chain.
Surely the same could be accomplished with a 2m chain and anti-pinch pin through the frame? Thinking

No. it's real. I took the picture myself. I never ever ever saw the bike not parked there; at one point I thought the owner must have died a decade ago; then one day i saw the bike covered, which is actually counterproductive because people may assume there is a half-decent bike underneath that cover.

Let's do this: how much are you willing to bet it's real? Mr. Green I can retake a picture of the bike, with today's paper on the saddle - like in the movies!

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 29 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
Let's do this: how much are you willing to bet it's real? Mr. Green I can retake a picture of the bike, with today's paper on the saddle - like in the movies!

I believe the BCF custom is custard? (Can be substituted for a Nobcat IIRC)

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 180 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2