View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:42 - 14 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

'kin hell.

Hook your feet over the bars next time, no prisoners. Wink

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 14 Jul 2016    Post subject: Re: Mod 1 coming up with added incentive Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
I'm still dumbfounded to hear people didn't get practice runs on the local testing ground before their Mod 1.
I never knew I was lucky for that preparation, always assumed it was a given. Thinking

I totally agree

in no way blaming my instructor he taught me everything I needed to know to pass
but we were practising in a car park with a very gritty surface but I could do all the manoeuvrers

apparently you can only use the test centre on a Sun for private tuition and have to book it in advance
so didn't have that option as I had a cancellation and I ended up running anticlockwise when I had did all my practice runs clockwise

If I can pass on anything from today its get your obs in and keep calm and talk yourself through it
I was fine till the dab in the slalom then I overthought it but I knew I'd blew it them
if it wasn't for that my instructor said I'd have a pass as the obs were marked as minors though I deserve a fail for it as I didn't check mirrors after both the EB and swerve Thumbs Up

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 14 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually derped and dropped the 600 on my practice run the day before passing my Mod 1, and I wasn't even performing a manouvre. Laughing
I was that nervous even in practice that when the intructor signalled me to come back to him, I tried to turn around... into a fence. (I know, Bodyguard in training)

At least I left my mark on the test pad though, it's like carving your name into a tree, only with a huge chunk of metal and plastic on tarmac.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:08 - 14 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't you take your test earlier?

Going by what you've said:

You're an old boy, and had a 250 in the days when you could ride a 250 on L-plates.
You are keen on bikes and in 2006 at least you had a collection of them.
You have been riding since childhood.
You are so keen on bikes you made sure your sons had bikes to mess with, from an early age.
You have ridden a Ninja 636 superbike illegally for years.

In your time, the test and licensing process became stricter, more time-consuming and more expensive, in several stages.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 14 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly a heavy dose of mañana had something to do with it. Mr. Green

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 14 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Possibly a heavy dose of mañana had something to do with it. Mr. Green

Procrastination can be a bitch Whistle

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 14 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socket wrote:
Dave70 wrote:
It took me three goes before I got it. Embarassed

I passed it three times first times.

It only took me one go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 15 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhang wrote:

Going by what you've said:

You're an old boy, and had a 250 in the days when you could ride a 250 on L-plates.
You are keen on bikes and in 2006 at least you had a collection of them.
You have been riding since childhood.
You are so keen on bikes you made sure your sons had bikes to mess with, from an early age.
You have ridden a Ninja 636 superbike illegally for years.

In your time, the test and licensing process became stricter, more time-consuming and more expensive, in several stages.

living abroad and travelling for the last 12 years stopped me getting it done
and as I said we were more into dirt bikes as I could share it with the boys
yes I should have done it years ago but life, family and job had to come first

the 636 I had for years but it was parked up and only very occasionally taken out
yes wrong I know but now I have the time to do it I'm sitting my test

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:56 - 15 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know a lot of peeps jump straight into the test.
i went with a school and spent a whole day repeating the mod1 over and over and over on a layout exactly the same as the test centre.

At the end of the practice day we took a ride to the test centre and were allowed to use their layout for a final practice.

while its not a difficult test all the practice helps to calm the nerves.

For the mod 2 i spent two days on a big bike and went over element of test repeatedly and then did a couple of mock tests via potential routes out of the test centre.

the thing that i found the hardest was the hazard perception test as i considered anything that moved to be a hazard.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:36 - 15 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
living abroad and travelling for the last 12 years stopped me getting it done

I don't understand.

- You've been living in Amsterdam, with frequent trips back to Scotland, so there was plenty of opportunity to take the test(s).
- You had a bike before 1983, which is when 250cc-on-L-plates came to an end, so you have had many more adult years than 12 to pass your test (at least 33 years).
- I have never heard of anyone being so busy because of living abroad that they didn't have a chance to take a motorbike test. I've heard of expats taking Spanish, French and German driving tests, but never heard anyone claim to be too busy.
- Not having a bike licence would have been at the forefront of your mind all the time, because you've said you're deeply interested in bikes, you've been posting on this forum for 10 years, you have/had a collection, you rode illegally and invested a lot in your sons' riding.
- You said the 636 cost you £2900. As you would have known, that's much more than your training and tests would have cost.

It's a puzzle why you left it so long. You were too busy? But surely you saw all these changes coming and must have thought, several times, better take that test now before it becomes harder:
https://www.lightningpass.com/changes-motorcycle-learner-law

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:11 - 15 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhang wrote:
I don't understand.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/83586559d8558ebe097925bcea2bfb3c/tumblr_mqnezwav6k1rhd46ao1_400.gif

/thread

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 15 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats your problem yes I rode illegally a couple of times
when I bought the Ninja I was in the process of moving back to Scotland and planned to do the licence
a week before I was due to move back I had an opportunity to move to Spain
so everything got put on hold and the ninja put into storage
as I could not guarantee when I would be in the Uk with time to book and do the tests it got put on the back burner

up till then I was happy enough on 125's but happier off road
and when I was in Amsterdam & spain I had brummers to run about on
lots of guys are in the same position and don't get into bikes until later in their lifes

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 02 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod 1 Passed at second attempt Thumbs Up

my son also passed his Mod 2 10 minutes before did my resit and passed as well

the big difference this time was I was not nervous and sailed through with 1 minor for touching the line in the U turn
Mod 2 booked for a month (quickest date I could get)

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 02 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
Mod 1 Passed at second attempt Thumbs Up

my son also passed his Mod 2 10 minutes before did my resit and passed as well

the big difference this time was I was not nervous and sailed through with 1 minor for touching the line in the U turn

there is an app you can get that gives you cancelations on your driving tests I presume it works for bike tests as well

sure its called my L test costs 20 quid for full app but saved a fortune in lessons as I had got end of September originally
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cjttchris
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:56 - 02 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:

I failed my MOD 2 out of nervousness the first time, I just think as long as you are relaxed and just ride as you would (without +20 speed) then you'll pass easy.

Good Luck!! Thumbs Up

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 02 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

my instructor has block bookings for tests so a cancellation is a possibility but I have to go to London on Business in 10 days and I'll be there for a week so current date works out

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 02 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one on the pass. Thumbs Up

Got my mod 2 in a couple of weeks. I'm nowhere near as worried about it, as I was over mod 1.

Good luck . Thumbs Up

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 02 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on the pass and good luck with mod 2 when you eventually take it. Thumbs Up

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 04 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

now thats a carrot If I ever seen one

peed off I have no time to get a cancellation Mad

its getting locked away till the Mod 2 is done and to keep my son away from it when I'm in London Laughing

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 04 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
now thats a carrot If I ever seen one

peed off I have no time to get a cancellation Mad

its getting locked away till the Mod 2 is done and to keep my son away from it when I'm in London Laughing
Disconnect battery?

Nice weapon you have there. It'll knock years off you. Thumbs Up

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 05 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Disconnect battery?

Nice weapon you have there. It'll knock years off you. Thumbs Up

yes it will be disconnected and fuel drained as it will be stored for a month and I get to chase my son on his baby blade when the Mod 2 is done
and I was really surprised with my Ins quotes, I thought the RR badge would have been steep
but not much more than a Ninja around the same year at £480 FC zero no claims and zero years license

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 02 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

all done and dusted

Mod 2 done today, bikes all taxed, Insured, MOT'd just in time for winter Smile

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:49 - 02 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Mod 1 coming up with added incentive Reply with quote

Quote:

Much rage face was had from DVSA Derek as he came storming out of his office, with the words "What the bloody hell do you think you're playing at!" Laughing

Don't know if this is the norm but my instructed booked a couple of hours on the mod1 yard in croydon on the sunday, with the test on monday. Most of the local DAS schools were doing it too IIRC

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:13 - 03 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
all done and dusted

Mod 2 done today, bikes all taxed, Insured, MOT'd just in time for winter Smile

<voiceover guy>It was a time of legends.</voiceover guy>

Nice one about time too enjoy the bike!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 176 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2