BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sore nads

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Sore nads Reply with quote

So anyone else get sore... err bits from cycling? Any solutions? I was thinking of a gel seat cover, although in one of Guy Martin's programmes he was tilting to seat forward to alleviate bollock pain, although everyone thought he was mad.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:22 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padded cycling shorts. Thumbs Up

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:12 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to do is buy decent padded shorts. Second up is to get a decent bike fit or learn how to do your own bike fit. This will highlight your real pressure hot spots. The third thing is to get a measurement of your sit bones. This can be done 'professionally' but a stack of 3 or 4 squares of corrugated cardboard on a hard surface works quite well.

Now you're sitting on the saddle properly and know how wide your sit bones are you can go out and buy the correct saddle. The saddle maybe a conventional shape or it might be something a little different, I ride on an ISM PN 1.1 for instance.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent shorts, gain fitness (you then push harder and have less weight on your rump), and move about on the bike (so getting out of the saddle on climbs, arse in the air on descents, generally not leaving the same bit of you taking the load for extended periods). That matters more for long rides (all day/multi-day).

Gel saddles and covers are generally not good; they don't support your sit bones and squish up between your legs so they put pressure on the soft bits (perineum) that shouldn't have pressure on them.

My personal favourite saddles are a Brooks Swift TI and Brooks Professional, but they gone a bit hipster and expensive now. Neither of those have any padding whatsoever, but do mould themselves to you. The jury is still out generally as whether a Brooks saddle gets broken in to you, or you get broken into a Brooks.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:24 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizik has a good how to on doing the measurements as mentioned above.

As for bibshorts/bibtights it depends on what mileage you're covering and how much £££'s you're willing to spend.

The best is Assos and Rapha, well worth their hefty price tags, you definitely get what you pay for.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:08 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
...and move about on the bike (so getting out of the saddle on climbs, arse in the air on descents, generally not leaving the same bit of you taking the load for extended periods). That matters more for long rides (all day/multi-day).

Interestingly the sole upright bike I still ride is a TT bike because it's the most comfortable upright I've ever ridden bar none. I've done >400km Randonneur/Audax rides on the bike & also a LEJOG. The bike has a total of 3 riding positions, aero bars, horns sitting & horns out of the saddle. As the latter two are very O2 & fatigue expensive I spend >90% of my time on the aero bars which is a fixed position.

That said, if you want to talk about comfortable cycling look into recumbents. Your body is being supported by about 10-15x the surface area. The main problem is cost, but looked after they hold their value well.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

techathy wrote:

Interestingly the sole upright bike I still ride is a TT bike because it's the most comfortable upright I've ever ridden bar none. I've done >400km Randonneur/Audax rides on the bike & also a LEJOG. The bike has a total of 3 riding positions, aero bars, horns sitting & horns out of the saddle. As the latter two are very O2 & fatigue expensive I spend >90% of my time on the aero bars which is a fixed position.

I agree - I have aero bars on my long distance bikes, and ride extensively on them too to keep the pace up (PBP 1200km in vedette group, 2x LEL 1400km, 2x24hr TTs, Mille Cymru 1000km etc.). I'd actually rather ride at the front of a group on the aero bars than upright in the group (riding on those bars in a group of tired riders isn't ideal).

They reduce the pressure on your arse compared to sitting upright, but having said that I still recommend moving around a bit. Dancing on the pedals doing a climb I could easily do seated gets blood circulating around everywhere and reduces overall strain.

edit: actually, remembering now, aero bars were banned on PBP 2011, so that and some of the qualifiers were ridden without - which was harder on my hands and arse. done on this bike

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Sore nads Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
So anyone else get sore... err bits from cycling? Any solutions? I was thinking of a gel seat cover, although in one of Guy Martin's programmes he was tilting to seat forward to alleviate bollock pain, although everyone thought he was mad.

Free birth control, what's to moan about? Laughing

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sore balls? No. Sore points about the sitbone area are normal, but your nadsack shouldn't hurt. That's not right.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tight boxers... Riding home in open/free flowing boxers is a big no no and I'll pay for making that mistake. The tighter boxers hold everything in place and there isn't any 'knocking about'.
If you're actually sitting on them Shocked errrrm, sit differently?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:09 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
Tight boxers... Riding home in open/free flowing boxers is a big no no and I'll pay for making that mistake. The tighter boxers hold everything in place and there isn't any 'knocking about'.
If you're actually sitting on them Shocked errrrm, sit differently?

Underwear? I hope you're not wasting money on padded cycling shorts!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

techathy wrote:
Now you're sitting on the saddle properly and know how wide your sit bones are you can go out and buy the correct saddle. The saddle maybe a conventional shape or it might be something a little different, I ride on an ISM PN 1.1 for instance.

That costs more than my bike. This is a bit more complicated than I anticipated Smile Today it was my arse that was really sore. I think my seats too low ATM if that doesn't help.

Wull wrote:
As for bibshorts/bibtights it depends on what mileage you're covering and how much £££'s you're willing to spend.

At least 12 miles a day. Haven't really thought about budget but I'm hoping to get a new bike soon. I don't think my current bike's a good fit (even though I've had it for years), it's a bit small for me and the bars don't go up very high.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:02 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is to find a saddle that fits you & your needs. I wasn't saying you'll need to spend £££s on a saddle, only that you mind find a non-conventional saddle better. The narrow ISM saddles offer me some very nice advantages over more conventional options.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah was just adding my perspective on a cycling budget. I know people who spend 3k on a frame Confused A few hundred quid is my maximum if it doesn't have an engine.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Yeah was just adding my perspective on a cycling budget. I know people who spend 3k on a frame Confused A few hundred quid is my maximum if it doesn't have an engine.

Then know this. A proper set of shorts will go a long way to cure your seating problems. Get some DHB bibs from Wiggle, they have excellent pads and because they're bibs they'll stay up (with the added Freddie Mercury impressions every time you put them on). Might cost you fifty quid or so, but is the single biggest thing you can do to get more comfy.
Then, look at your saddle position. Adjust a bit, go for a ride, repeat. Until you get comfy or sleepy.

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much this, when I'm midseason fit, I can do 80+ mile rides without issue in the bib shorts (don't make the mistake of having underwear on underneath them tho), whereas 20 miles in the commute jeans and I'm aching.

Soft saddles are a nono and do not help.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reliable source told me that a banana skin inside your pants will prevent this.

I think he said the skin only but I'm not sure, because I'm sure some of the cyclists I've seen have a whole banana stuck down there. Shocked

Try both, either way you've got a healthy snack before or after your ride.

HTH

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:37 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with that is there shouldn't be enough space in your shorts for two bananas. Wink

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I dunno

https://gomeansgo.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/superstock_1060-446.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1