Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Moving back to Britain, question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

shinysideup
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:15 - 14 Nov 2016    Post subject: Moving back to Britain, question Reply with quote

Since everyone knows the best advice / information can be found on motorcycle forums I have a question I'll keep short.

I was born in Scotland currently living in the States (over 20 years), I've poured over the immigration sites and found a few answers to some of my questions however still have a couple I'm having trouble with. I've been married for 5 years to an American, I know she can visit the UK without a visa for up to 6 months, is there some sort of form I can fill out while not living in the UK that would allow the UK to recognize our marriage? I wouldn't have a job at first but we'd have a nice bundle of cash to get us going, would that hinder me sponsoring her as well? I will be consulting with an immigration lawyer but wanted to check and see if anyone on the board has any incite / experience with this.

if this isn't the proper section for this please move it.

TLDR - UK citizen living in Merica wants to bring wife back to live in the UK with him, any form I can fill out to have the UK recognize the marriage for easier transition.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:21 - 14 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you want to leave before Trump deports you? Razz

shinysideup
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:25 - 14 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
So you want to leave before Trump deports you? Razz

HA! I can see where that would come from!

I wish that was the case, save some $ on Air Fare!

We've been tossing the idea around for a while, just looking into the logistics.

tarlott
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:30 - 14 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a bit of a nightmare, just breifly scrolling through it appears its easier to do once you're here on a visitors visa even for a spouse. If you don't already have it, this link may help.
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration

shinysideup
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:41 - 14 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarlott wrote:
It seems a bit of a nightmare, just breifly scrolling through it appears its easier to do once you're here on a visitors visa even for a spouse. If you don't already have it, this link may help.
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration

thank you, that's the site I've done most of my research on. It does seem like sort of a nightmare without being in the UK, but it seems odd she would be allowed to stay for 6 months then leave and apply to sponsor her, just hoping someone has some insight that I'm missing or, that's just how the rules go.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 14 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Moving back to Britain, question Reply with quote

shinysideup wrote:
I've been married for 5 years to an American, I know she can visit the UK without a visa for up to 6 months

Six months will probably be more than enough time.
Once she gets here and susses the place out, she'll likely want to hop on the first available plane out. You, too, may be quite shocked at how the place has deteriorated whilst you've been away and will also want to hot-tail it back to Yankee Doodle land.

HTH.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

shinysideup
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:59 - 15 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Moving back to Britain, question Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
shinysideup wrote:
I've been married for 5 years to an American, I know she can visit the UK without a visa for up to 6 months

Six months will probably be more than enough time.
Once she gets here and susses the place out, she'll likely want to hop on the first available plane out. You, too, may be quite shocked at how the place has deteriorated whilst you've been away and will also want to hot-tail it back to Yankee Doodle land.

HTH.

Kinda what I was thinking, looks like it takes about 12 weeks for her visa so 6 months should be more than enough time.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:28 - 15 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the best way to do this...at least I did before brexit happened. You'd have to act pretty sharpish if you want to get the missus over cheap and cheerful, assuming they ever pull their thumbs out of their arses and actually invoke Article 50!!!

Both of you move to a Euro country, such as Spain. You don't need a visa, yet, and I believe she can accompany you (work visas for her might be a bit trickier but I didn't say this was easy). There is a minimum amount of time that you have to spend in Euroland and then you can relocate to UK and missus comes with you free gratis and is entitled to spousal visa.

Cutting out the Euro option means you have to find work in the UK and earn x amount of pondage before you qualify to sponsor her for a visa. Can't remember the amount required but it was considerably more than the US required for going the other way.

...hence the reason I'm slumming it with the Waking dead in Florida...

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 16 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to stay there mate
I bet there'll be loads of overtime working on that wall

shinysideup
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:52 - 16 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

But, how am I going to get Mexico to pay me since they're footing the bill?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

shinysideup wrote:
WD Forte wrote:

But, how am I going to get Mexico to pay me since they're footing the bill?

They might pay you a Mexican builder's wage but could possibly baulk at the bill for the commute!!! Laughing

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:32 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

travel to work (in some circumstances) is only counted as work in the EU. By the time congress agrees on the colour of the bricks, it won't be an issue.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:57 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Settling a non-EEA spouse in UK means lots of paperwork and considerable fees (1800 for visa and NHS surcharge excluding other costs). The applications are frequently rejected.

You have to meet financial requirement with income and/or savings and provide evidence of adequate accommodation for your family.

Read: https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk together with all referenced attachments, especially about specified evidence for the financial requirement.

https://www.immigrationboards.com/immigration-for-family-members contains lots of information and advice.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find there's no shortage of legal firms specializing in immigration law in the UK these days. Probably tripping over them at the airport.

shinysideup
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:23 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mentalboy pointed me to a forum called British Expats, lots of great information there for anyone else that has questions about the process / paperwork, I wish I would've known about the site while trying to get my passport sorted!

Thank you Sir and for others with help to my question!

as I mentioned a while back I can't contribute much but I am lurking (place Ninja Emoticon here)...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 154 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1