Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oops. October 2016 new registration stats

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:36 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Oops. October 2016 new registration stats Reply with quote

Forgot because reasons. Let's go:

https://www.mcia.co.uk/Uploads/Statistics/Press-Statistics-for-October-201610.pdf

Hmm. The surge seems to have petered out with sales being essentially flat over October 2015.

All the usual suspects are there: GS, CB125F, PCX125, CRF 250 L, MT-07.

Top selling 126-650cc was the... uh... Scomadi TURISMO LEGGERA 200.

Ohhh kaaaay.

Honda, Yamaha and Lexmoto are still flogging 125s, but everybody else has the usual post-summer slump, with a particularly poor month for Kawasaki and BMW.

Suzuki, Y U NO SHOWS? Rhetorical question is rhetorical: no BOGOFF or 3 year warranty offers at the moment = no sales. It's impressive that they're still going, to be honest.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect the Africa Twin to make a reappearance when they can actually get hold of them. I think they're still well behind from the earthquake recently.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite bizarre:-

TOURING Harley-Davidson STREET GLIDE SPECIAL 24

So they sold more Harleys than the mainstay of this class, the BMW 1200 RT. Not only that, but they sold more Harleys in October, when you'd be expecting them to be in storage being polished rather than out on the road.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite surprised how many of the big scary 1300cc KTM's they have sold though, as they arnt very tourer'y, and are a bit expensive too.

Maybe next month they'll have sold 88 Ducati 1299 superlegera's too?

Honda must sell around 3000 of those PCX's a year I guess? That's a nice bit of work they are getting and easy work for the dealers too.

Maybe next year we'll see a relentless sales charts top spot with GSXR 125 written in the box?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:28 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
they sold more Harleys in October, when you'd be expecting them to be in storage being polished rather than out on the road.

They do seem to keep flogging them. My theory is that a lot of them get delivered in vans straight into garages from which they don't emerge for 3 years until their annual trip to Mr MOT comes due.

stevo as b4 wrote:
Maybe next year we'll see a relentless sales charts top spot with GSXR 125 written in the box?

Sort of want. I mean, for Suzuki to actually sell bikes. The GSX-R125 is long, long overdue. But it won't be around until "late summer 2017", and they're still hand-waving about power and weight. I have a sense of foreboding that it'll turn out to be some lardy 3rd world budget commuter in a frock (do not want the GSX-R250).

Can they keep going until then? I honestly do wonder.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Suzuki's big move to take the market by storm and gain sales and market position would be to hurry up and get a range of bikes introduced with their 650cc? Turbocharged twin engine fitted.

Offer them all with stop start and other mpg enhancing features, and it might just be the way for them to get noticed and offer something different that will sell and be unique too.

Kawasaki are going to introduce more and more supercharged machines I would expect over the next 5years, and I'm sure Honda and Yamaha are very capable of looking into forced induction and knocking up a few bikes. Suzuki get in there in 2017 while your ahead before its too late I say!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 14 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM are a bit of a surprise.

And the amount of Yammy YZF125's that keep selling. There must be a lot more money around for learners than you'd think.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 14 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Can they keep going until then? I honestly do wonder.

World wide sales figure would be interesting.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:30 - 14 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt wether those Harleys were actually sold I'd imagine most were pre registered and still sat in the dealers showrooms Confused

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:33 - 15 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect a fair number were, given the amount of 0 or low milers out there being offered for more than the new sticker price, because they've got Screaming Beagle exhausts and sparkly tassels.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 15 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexmoto selling more than Suzuki Confused Shame on you Suzuki.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
Lexmoto selling more than Suzuki Confused Shame on you Suzuki.

Why so bad though. Their range isn't terrible, Is everyone else just that bit better?

https://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/motorcycles/motorcycles/

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:42 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're mostly old bikes, built to a budget.

Even their 'new' SV650 is pretty much just a rebranded SFV650 which was itself a rebranded Gladius.

The new V-Strom 1000 that they'd pinned their hopes on is pretty mediocre with no compelling reason to buy it other than it's cheap. Even at that, when you run the numbers on a PCP contract, it costs the same (or less) to rent a R1200GS than a V-Strom.

I believe their big seller remains the V-Strom 650, which is an ancient bike. Not that it's a bad one, but nobody is buying it for the novelty value.

It's very telling that their sales wax and wane exactly in time with their offers. When they give 3 year warranties (about time too), 0% finance, healthy discounts on the sticker price, and/or big packs of extras, they sell bikes. As soon as those offers expire, so does the interest.

Really, who'd buy a new Suzuki if it wasn't on some sort of offer? It almost certainly will be if you just wait a bit.

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
KTM are a bit of a surprise.

And the amount of Yammy YZF125's that keep selling. There must be a lot more money around for learners than you'd think.

KTM have had the best 18months or so in their history. They are growing quite rapidly as they make more of a transition to regular road going bikes.

In 2015 they sold over 180,000 bikes and earned more than €1bn in revenue for the first time. Fifth year in row they've increased sales.

To put it in perspective it's over three times the number Ducati sell. BMW sold 137,000 in 2015.

Of course this is nothing compared to the 17 million Honda sell, or even Suzuki at 1.5m
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:30 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is impressive, I didn't know they were doing so well globally.

I guess making and selling their sub-400s in India helps with that. You can see why BMW are trying to follow suit.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arnt they bringing out a new lightweight 800cc parallel twin supermoto and enduro bike soon too?

The supermoto and enduro twins from firms like Aprilia and even Ducati appeal to me, as I think once you go past about 60odd bhp from a big single, they lose their magic, and manners and appeal.

70-90bhp from a 650-900cc twin if it's light and compact sounds better and more reliable for that elevated performance level.

I've always said that a light triple or four in a proper competition style EXC type chassis could be just as good too. I hope part of Yamaha's dark side will be a WR600X with a trick chassis wrapped around an R6 heart

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:16 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I think that Suzuki's big move to take the market by storm and gain sales and market position would be to hurry up and get a range of bikes introduced with their 650cc? Turbocharged twin engine fitted.

Offer them all with stop start and other mpg enhancing features, and it might just be the way for them to get noticed and offer something different that will sell and be unique too.

Kawasaki are going to introduce more and more supercharged machines I would expect over the next 5years, and I'm sure Honda and Yamaha are very capable of looking into forced induction and knocking up a few bikes. Suzuki get in there in 2017 while your ahead before its too late I say!

Stop start is one quick way to bugger a Turbo! They don't like being kicked back into life only to be shut off again! Unless you have a 1980's style turbo that only boots in say above 4000 rpm, in which case hello Turbo Lag and other nasty problems!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that as if there has never been a reliable turbocharged engine produced with stop start technology?

Low oil pressure ball bearing turbochargers are the way forward for reliable use with such systems in petrol engines. Anyway diesel engines have been using stop start systems on tdi's for years, and a turbo in a diesel almost always runs far higher shaft speeds and at higher boost pressures than a petrol engine's set up would.

The reason I say Suzuki needs to bring in their turbo twin range and also have features like stop start etc is for efficiency. In today's boring world if you can sell a 100bhp bike that does 25mpg more than any rival and with a smaller more compact engine to allow for extra space luggage capacity and lower emissions, then your onto a winner.

With the limited funds available and a limited market chasing expensive to develop high revving huge power engine designs for superbikes etc is not very lucrative for the vast majority of manufacturers product ranges.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth noting KTM just flogged off a load of their 1290 SuperDuke's for £12k, they were all bought pretty much instantly, £4k off list price plus they come with alsorts of extras (slip on zorst, orange shiny bits, etc.), so yeah, bet that's a large chunk of their sales for the month. They also did a VAT-free deal on the 690's for a bit, meaning you could get one brand new for £6k but that seemed to be very limited.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:54 - 21 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki have tried to get away from the "£900 off" promotions but it won't work. Everyone treats their list prices like a DFS sofa - never actually bought at the full ticket price.

Having said that, their list prices aren't all that bad but it does stick in your memory when you remember looking at that new V Strom for £5,100 or the 1250 FAST for £6,500 etc

As for their bikes being outdated, I'm not that concerned as I still think they're actually half decent machines.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:30 - 21 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
their list prices aren't all that bad

V-Strom 650 : £6999
Versys 650: £6849
NC750X: £6749
And now the lollercoaster - Tracer 700: £6299

Suzuki have a "new" V-Strom coming with some minor tweaks and 100% more beak, but the most significant result is likely to be yet another fire sale on the current model.

I agree that there's nothing much wrong with the bikes (that losing 20kg here and there wouldn't solve) but they really do seem to be stuck on the bottom rung of the perceived value ladder.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 154 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1