Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Project compressor

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:46 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Project compressor Reply with quote

Was given a non-working compressor and I hope to get it working again if I do I might give it a lick of paint and tidy it up.

The problem is the motor doesn't work. When you turn it on there is the hum of power and it looks like it wants to spin but it doesn't. it just gives a little jump. I've tire giving the fan a little push to help it go but it won't I've also removed a plug from the compressor barrel to lose the compression to see if that helps but it didn't. I suspect motor brushes.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20161015_132028_zpsghxpshjg.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20161015_140750_zpsjsqpzefl.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20161015_140815_zpsttorzk5n.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20161015_140806_zpscerklpfx.jpg?t=1476531443

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20161015_140719_zpscsjq4blx.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20161015_140713_zps7edgjiqi.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20161015_140736_zpsyect8cdb.jpg

Bit stuck now, I don't know how to split the compressor from the motor the fan was held on by a circlip but I can't pull it off and don't want ot put too much force though it it looks like I might have to remove the piston and rod, but wanted to get some advice before going further.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the condenser (capacitor) charging properly? If that's not the problem, then I'd be getting a new motor, they are not that hard to come by, you can even change the whole compressor unit. You already own the most important thing, and that is the tank. My neighbor used the compressor from an old frefigerator, the pressure build up is slow, but it's working.

Well, that, if you don't mind the unit not being period accurate. Thumbs Up

Q: Is capacitor the same thing a condenser in English? In Czech we say condenser. Thinking

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 13:36 - 16 Oct 2016; edited 3 times in total

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:33 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably won't have brushes. Check capacitor (usually swollen or leaking if faulty) , centrifugal switch (stuck open and preventing start winding/cap from working) and start winding or main winding fault (open or short circuit).

ZD

p.s. Fan will lever off shaft but will probably crack as your doing the levering (old fans tend to be brittle). After fan is off end cover will come off showing centrifugal switch and wiring connections. Smell the windings at this point - a "sweet" smell tends to indicate burnt out windings

chris-red

PostPosted: 16:48 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The capacitor is new the bloke I got it off replace d that and gave up.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:34 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the capacity of that one but do remember you can buy a 50 litre clarke compressor for about £150 brand new.

You can buy new clarke electric motors for about half that (depending on size).

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:30 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think it's the machine mart 'Clarke' going by the name plate.

OP, what's the value of the capacitor and how is it connected? Does the pump rotate freely?

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 05:30 - 17 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was the capacitor then the motor should still start after spinning by hand if I remember back to college correctly!

Cant you just drop off said motor at a motor rewind place and let them have at it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 09:45 - 17 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Wright wrote:

OP, what's the value of the capacitor and how is it connected? Does the pump rotate freely?

It all spins freely, the bloke I got it off said he replaced it with the same one that was on it before I could do with a wiring diagram for it as it looks like it has been fucked about with. I'll check it out next time I get out there.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 17 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like others have had the same problem.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/air-compressors/clarkes-jumbo-air-compressor-se3aj-/1177989471

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 17 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the cap. I know the bloke said he tried it, but for the couple of quid it will cost, it's worth making sure. Shit, even in Maplin, it'll be less than a fiver.

Post a picture up if you want. Need the writing and pins.

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:30 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
The capacitor is new the bloke I got it off replace d that and gave up.

I have exactly the same compressor, the fan pulls off its on a spline and is a cunt to get off, the cap is almost definitely the issue, i had the same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 01 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Wright wrote:

It is. This was the companies original name prior to Clarke International when they were based in Lower Clapton Road.

Chances are spares are still available from Machine mart spares.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 01 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts list.

I see part no 27 overload cutout. Could be a thermal switch and it might have gone bad. I'd look for/at that first.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 01 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarke are very good on spares. I recently had parts for a 20 year old discontinued 12/24volt starter charger and prices were very low.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 02 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a long time since I worked on one of these types of compressors but I believe disassembly is as follows.

1. Remove head and barrel.
2. Remove piston pin and then piston.
3. Remove con rod.
4. Remove fan using a hydraulic puller being careful that it doesn't crumble. It's a press fit on either a smooth or ribbed surface.
5. Sharp tap with a copper mallet on fan end of crank and it should start coming out. May take a few taps but should come out.

You may need to replace the crank bearings depending on how tight the crank is.

There is a chance that the piston or crank is seized which as you haven't mentioned draining the oil is a possibility.

If you take the head off does it turn over by hand?

chris-red

PostPosted: 18:56 - 02 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It spins freely, and feels good. I've got no time to look at it till after xmas now. I'll bare all this in mind cheers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1