Looking for something bigger!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 22 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
At normal speeds, at low speeds heavy bikes can feel very unstable.

I feel quite stable on a big bike as soon as it rolls, maybe I have good balance. When it's stationary, big bikes seem huge, but as soon as they move along, I feel them instantly become upright and have no worries about weight.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 22 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on my bike (190kg) I feel very stable at low speeds, but on heavier bikes (220-240kg) I felt like they were going to fall over Smile Also riding position can influence how heavy a bike feels.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:05 - 22 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Well on my bike (190kg) I feel very stable at low speeds, but on heavier bikes (220-240kg) I felt like they were going to fall over

The trick with a heavy bike is to not to try and use your strength or weight to control the lean at low speed.

What you use is the engine. Open the throttle slightly and the bike stands up.

dylmcf
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:09 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the 600's compare on the highway compared to the 300's?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

See I don't find that. As soon as I am rolling I don't have any issues with stability compared when I rode my daughters 125, but that is probably down to the fact I have had lots of very heavy bikes.

That seat width thing is a really important thing to take notice of. The seat height on my Trophy is something around 770mm on the lowest setting which should be easy to flat foot but it's so wide (great for comfort) I can only get my toes down.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:44 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

dylmcf wrote:
How does the 600's compare on the highway compared to the 300's?

At a steady 55mph? Same difference.

At 100mph? Comfortable versus at their limit.

Ask the question that you really want answered.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I didn't/don't find that.
Admittedly my 'dual-sport' ish bikes have a higher CoG which can make them a feel a bit more awkward in heavy traffic (walking-pace filtering) but I really don't remember any instability when I did move from small (50 - 185) 70s naked bikes onto larger 70s naked bikes.
As I didn't make the move from small sports to large sports bikes, maybe it is different but I'd guess not.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 26 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 5ft 6, with a 29" inside leg, that's the killer!

I currently own a zrx1200, pretty heavy at 225kg, fairly low seat, but quite wide, I tip toe it with 2 feet, or flat foot one side easily.

It's been the same on all my bikes though:

Cbr600f sport 2001
ZX6R b1h 2003 - tall with a narrow seat
ZX7R - low and wide'ish seat
zx10r 2005 - narrow seat
Street triple R 2013 - low ish with a narrow seat, on the better end of the scale, especially as it's light

As a short arse you will have to get used to only having one foot flat on the ground at a time Thumbs Up

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:57 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

80ish bhp of 600 bandit is comfortable and capable at motorway speeds, has enough oomph to roll on the throttle and and 10mph to change lanes without drama. Tame, reliable and forgiving to ride and insurers know this.

46bhp of XV535 could allegedly do 100 but beyond 70 would be out-accelerated by an average car which made motorway journeys awkward. Expect similar without the tassle jokes from a 250/300

The difference in overtakes is worth considering, say someone is doing 40 in an NSL. It's dicey overtaking on a 125, less so on an A2 bike but you probably need everything it has and longer vehicles can be tricky, but a 600 has power in reserve. The fact is you're probably going to look for an overtake anyway, so the extra oomph means you can do so with a greater margin of safety. My partner rides pillion with me a lot, she started doing so when I had the XV535 but was a very experienced pillion before that. I could feel the cringe when looking for overtakes on that bike. I never cut it fine with her on the back but I'd be looking for while and they weren't as brisk as I'd like. The bandit has enough in reserve to make my pillion feel a lot more relaxed, although the first few times we went out on it she was caught out a few times when I rolled on at 60 or so and something resembling acceleration happened, having gotten used to the 535.

An SV650 feels pretty light and has enough oomph to get out of the way at motorway speeds, worth considering if you are small, I considered one but found it felt too small underneath my 6 foot and 16 stone bulk.

There are mad full faired 600s that don't make sensible rides. Don't get an R6 unless you want a handful of track-focussed stupidity, and there are sensible 5 and 600s, and a world of difference between them. Yamaha Diversion and Fazer. Suzuki Bandit, SV, SFV, Katana (GSX600F), Kawasaki ER6 and Versys, Can't remember which hondas of the top of my head. But the power output and delivery is sensible and they make good first big bikes.

Even a 125 can go fast enough to kill you, having more oomph means you have more options to get out of trouble. I recall being told on both Bikesafe and ERS to be mindful of the rider on the smallest bike in a group being pressured to take corners faster in order to stick with a group of riders or even the normal flow of traffic.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2