BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thought I bought a YBR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:43 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all parts are identical. The brake caliper and one of the bearings (sorry, I can't remember which) have previously been identified as being different on a Jianshe JS125-6A versus a YBR.

But it depends on this exact bike, which we haven't yet seen, and the damage, which we haven't had described.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just fix it with parts from a Jianshe model, if that what it is?

It's a bike, get it working and sell it.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyblue wrote:

A sensible suggestion, but I don't know of anyone that owns one. Many parts seem transferable with YBR but not the front fairing.

The Jianshe you pictured is also sold as the AJS Eco 2

https://www.ajsmotorcycles.co.uk/http---www-ajs-shop-co-uk-index-html

Have a word with them.

Apologies if this has already been said .... got bored reading a lot of pointless arguments Wink

babyblue
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:01 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's MY BIKE, make of it what you will.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:28 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyblue wrote:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=98754

Well, it's clearly a Yamaha. It says so on the side...

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:33 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyblue wrote:

I could probably make a mosaic of it in Photo-Shop, or if I had the actual metal, maybe a bar stool, I dont know... What would you like any of us to make of it?

Is that pic pre-crash or post crash?
It's missing a side-panel. Cant see the fairing... looks to be there, but pointing away from the camera.

So WHAT needs dong to make the thing 'work'?

If all that is wrong with it is the missing side panel, which you have erroneously thought to be a 'fairning' (more usually used to describe the wind-deflecting body-work at the front of the bike like around the headlamp).... [shrug] get on and ride the thing! Its hardly critical to operation!

If you want to bleat o about whether or ot its a 'genuine' YBR or not; It says Yamaha on the side clearly enough, and it definitely has a carburetor; so it is a Yamaha YBR125... JUST not an official Matsui Yamaha UK imported example, but a variant built in the same factory with slight differences for 'other markets', which may be sold in this country by other vendors under a different brand name.

YES you probably paid more than you needed to for it; Yes, it probably isn't exactly what you thought it was... But, you bought it, you have been riding it, and you have, at this point in time crashed it. You can hardly take it back to the shop and start demanding a refund!!!

So WHAT is the problem;; DOES the thing even NEED 'fixing'? Or what 'help' would you like us to offer?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:57 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
babyblue wrote:

I could probably make a mosaic of it in Photo-Shop, or if I had the actual metal, maybe a bar stool, I dont know... What would you like any of us to make of it?

I think they're hoping you or someone else who's familiar with these bikes would be able to fill them in on whether it's a Jianshe or a Yamaha.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
babyblue wrote:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=98754

Well, it's clearly a Yamaha. It says so on the side...

I wrote "Turbo" on the back of a Metro in marker pen once. Didn't go any fucking quicker.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:08 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I wrote "Turbo" on the back of a Metro in marker pen once. Didn't go any fucking quicker.

+50 hp.

https://i.imgur.com/k3h8GwR.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:38 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Going to the trouble to replace the engine casing with a yamaha one is a bit of a step up from writing on it with a sharpie.

Occams razor says it's a Yamaha

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyblue wrote:

That's a YBR. But Non-uk spec. Would have helped if the photo showed the fairing Rolling Eyes

Brooks Barn can occasionally get the plastics for them: https://www.brooksbarn.co.uk/YBR125-BIKINI-FAIRING-BLUE-SQUARE-HEADLAMP_AQIT4.aspx

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:44 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
I think they're hoping you or someone else who's familiar with these bikes would be able to fill them in on whether it's a Jianshe or a Yamaha.
I think that's already been pretty well confirmed... its A Jianshe Yamaha Corporation.
Which makes many derivative variants of the model in the same factory, that may be badged either as Yamaha or Jainshe, or Lexmoto, or AJS or countless others in the variouse markets they are sold in.
THIS ONE is clearly badged, on the body and in the primary drive cover casting as a "Yamaha".

Still makes bugger all odds to what's wrong with it, or how, if needs be it might be 'fixed'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:44 - 06 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes odds on how much money it's worth spending on it to sort it, depending on how much it's likely to be worth at resale.

OP may also have had a case against the dealer, but (even though they got royally mugged off) I wouldn't be hopeful. DVLA have dubbed it a YBR, and as we know, DVLA are infallible.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 06 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd look at the reflectors on the forks and (what is presumably) an unusual fairing and think "something's up". Then I'd look at "Yamaha" on the engine casing and I'd ask the owner which country the bike was first registered in.

I can't believe someone would have gone to sooo much trouble and expense to make a Chinese branded YBR look like a Yamaha, so I'd assume it came out of the factory like that, but didn't start it's life in the UK. Could be a mix of Jianshe and a binned Yamaha, but again, who'd go to that effort?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:35 - 06 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It makes odds on how much money it's worth spending on it to sort it, depending on how much it's likely to be worth at resale.

Not really.. it is not and was not and never will be a UK Spec, 'official import' Yamaha YBR125.
It is what it is, and always has been.
How much it is worth now {damaged}, how much it may cost to fix, and how much it might sell for after repair, HASN'T really changed, 'just' because the girl has crashed it, or discovered it's not 'exactly' what she thought it was before she crashed it.
Rogerborg wrote:
OP may also have had a case against the dealer, but (even though they got royally mugged off) I wouldn't be hopeful. DVLA have dubbed it a YBR, and as we know, DVLA are infallible.

We know that they are all built in China, in a factory that is a Yamaha subsidiary, and it says Yamaha on the tank, it says Yamaha on the engine cases; it is "Branded" as a Yamaha. What WE have spotted is that it's got a carburettor, it's not a Yamaha Branded motorcycle, imported by Yamaha's UK 'Official' UK Importer, Matsui; but an 'other market' variant, Yamaha Branded motorcycle, imported by someone else, but it is STILL a Yamaha YBR125.

How much the bike was worth when she bought it.... what SHE was prepared to pay for it! what it's worth when she comes to sell it? whatever anyone ELSE is prepared to pay for it!

How much more she might have spent than she needed, or how much she may 'loose', or might have lost had she come to sell it without crashing it? Is all fairly speculative really.

Recourse to the dealer? Dealer MAY have been totally upfront and honest about that when he sold it; "It's Yamaha YBR125, 'import', its got a carburetor rather than fuel injection, but that's better as you don't need a computer to service it" Word 'Import' tagged on the end may be open to a little ambiguity.. "But its Japanese, they all have to be imported, don't they?" But at some point the seller has to take some responsibility for doing their own research, and making sure they are happy with the 'deal'.

Which she obviously was, right up until she CRASHED the thing!

Only THEN she started doing her research to find out what she had really bought! Or asked us to tell her!

As far as I'm concerned, its all split milk not worth crying over. She bought a bike. She crashed bike. She needs to fix bike.

Bigger mystery here, is WHY fixing the thing is HER problem?

If, as she claimed a car driver drove into her, implying car driver's fault, why is SHE scouring parts lists looking for the bits to fix it? why isn't it with an authorized repairer to be fixed at the car driver's insurance co's expense, whilst she toddles about on a courtesy bike?

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:45 - 06 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

How much it is worth now {damaged}, how much it may cost to fix, and how much it might sell for after repair, HASN'T really changed, 'just' because the girl has crashed it, or discovered it's not 'exactly' what she thought it was before she crashed it.

Well of course....but....

If i showed you a nice big chocolate Cake and told you it was £5, and you were willing to buy that cake, that Cake is worth £5.

Now I reveal I took a big Shit in the cake Mix before Baking, Still Worth a fiver?, no it's not....And yet it is still the same Cake (soft pop as Tefs Tiny mind blows) in all matters of non intrinsic value perception is Everything. and thats what Rog is getting at (I think)

Another Thing you're wrong about is what the real question is....It's why the fuck would you pay £1400 for a 2007 YBR.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:54 - 06 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Not really.. it is not and was not and never will be a UK Spec, 'official import' Yamaha YBR125.

But most buyers won't know that, and you only need one starry eyed 17 year old to fork over their paper round money for it.

It's a convincing looking "Yamaha YBR", it says so in the right places on the bike and the V5C, it's going to be perceived as being worth pretty much as much as any other one.

Which is a lot less than OP paid for it, but that's just a regular mugging from a dealer, not anything particularly deceptive.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 06 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
Another Thing you're wrong about is what the real question is....It's why the fuck would you pay £1400 for a 2007 YBR.

Dealer peace of mind, obviously.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 06 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, why do so many of these threads descend into hair pulling and spitting sagas?

AS I see it

OP paid too much for 2007 bike which while being made in the same factory,
isn't a 'real' YBR in the sense of having EFI but a carbed clone.
Annoying rookie mistake yes but learn and move on, good luck chasing that through the courts

Seemed happy enough tootling about until it got Damaged
Damaged where? how? where are the pics?
Needs unspecified parts ( sounds like just a few plastics)
Shouldn't the drivers insurance cover repairs anyway?

NO? want to DIY?
OK
Hans pointed out it probably shares parts with not just Jianshe but AJS Eco2
( not to rub it in but another brand new for £1099 OTR bike)
Personally I'd cheap out with pop rivets/hot staples/screws/filler/gaffer tape etc

TL:DR Sod the provenance, just fix it and get on and ride the fecker

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 06 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

It is a Yamaha, irrespective of what the OP thinks, or wants to believe. As has been said, probably a grey import, but, still a Yamaha YBR125 carb or not, it's still a Yamaha.

If that pic is anything to go by, there appears to be very little damage, and the parts to replace the damaged bits, as has already been said, are very easy to come by.

No matter what version of YBR125, grey import or not, it's still built in China, and, oh yeah, it's still a Yamaha.

Simple answer, stop bleating, patch/repair the damage and just ride it, as has been said before as well £1400 for a 9 year old 125, well, really?? That's where the problem lies, having said that, aside from the obvious damage, doesn't look in too bad condition at all for a 9 year old 125, of any make ...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:48 - 07 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Jesus, why do so many of these threads descend into hair pulling and spitting sagas?

u​r mum
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4