BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Noob question - Test ride

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 09 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume the dealer has to buy a 'block' insurance scheme for any bike and has to balance cost against chances of sale.

If they already have a policy with limitations in place I doubt they would be able to upgrade it to allow a new rider to test their bikes without paying stupid amounts.

Perhaps one for arry to enlighten us.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 09 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I presume the dealer has to buy a 'block' insurance scheme for any bike and has to balance cost against chances of sale.

If they already have a policy with limitations in place I doubt they would be able to upgrade it to allow a new rider to test their bikes without paying stupid amounts.

Perhaps one for arry to enlighten us.

It's been a very long time mate but I've been a broker for motor trade back in my early career. You're bob on - essentially the policy covers any rider for the purpose of demonstration rides but with restrictions on age / licence time held. You can buy a policy which is unlimited in both regards, but you'd pay a heftier premium for it. The reality is 90% of test rides are going to be +25 year olds with full licence +2 years, so to pay the extra for the odd occasion wouldn't be cost effective.

With that said, we used to deal with younger testers on a case by case basis, so the garage would ring up and get clearance before a test ride occurred, for a small charge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 09 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to pay 1p of it on your credit card for extra protection.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-finance/buying-a-car-credit-card

Using a credit card to pay for your car may not only be the cheapest way to get new wheels; it also gives you Section 75 protection.

So what is this? Basically, buy something - in this case a car - anywhere worldwide, costing between £100 and £30,000 and pay for any of it (even just 1p) on a credit card and the card company is jointly liable with the seller. So if it's faulty or you don't get the service, you can go to the card firm for your money back.

Plus if retailers dispute your claim, you need go to court. With a card firm you can go to the free Ombudsman. It doesn't just look at the law, but also if you're 'being treated fairly'. See our guide to Section 75 for more info.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:36 - 09 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
to pay the extra for the odd occasion wouldn't be cost effective.

Depends how much business you're losing over it, either as immediate sales or as return business once they're all growed up. I'd hope that dealers are taking note of when it's losing them sales, but I wouldn't bet on it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 09 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree entirely Roger; on all counts.

With that said - 'soz, insuramance ain't got no covers' is as good as any way of getting rid of a timewasting pipe-dreamer, I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2