Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

£12.50 daily charge for pre-'07 bikes in London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

MAG are now considering demos

Really? When and where?

Their latest blurb says nothing apart from waiting until Spring 2017..

MAG wrote:

MAG is conducting a comprehensive analysis of the environmental footprint of various vehicles, including electric cars, to establish the truth behind the claims made for various modes of transport. The findings should be released by Spring, 2017.

https://www.mag-uk.org/en/newsdetail/a7281

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:35 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

MAG are now considering demos

Really? When and where?

Police https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=315315 Police

MAG wrote:
Leon has had one meeting with [Deputy Mayor of London for Transport and career sponger Val Shawcross] which showed that she and the Mayor are likely to let TfL continue as they have before. Leon adds that this looks likely to stay that way – "Unless we do more, including well directed direct action to change their response to MAG and motorcycling in London" [...]

Offers of support for direct action against ULEZ taxes on bikes have been made to MAG via Central Office from some potentially influential people

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.

Leon now says 'well directed' direct action needed to change things. Let me guess, organised by other people? And will you help in the direction process Leon?

In other news, some offers of direct action support have been received although no news as to who from. Only that they are potentially influential. Potentially. My guess is the Cheeky Girls.

Other than that, nada. Zilch. Zero.

Not grumbling at you Roger but MAG seem to make a lot of noise and nothing happens.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:30 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm the first to point out that MAG's track record seems to be stuck in the failure groove.

I make a careful distinction between local groups agitating on local issues for local bikers, and Nice Employer Ltd who don't appear to have achieved anything in the past couple of decades at national or European level.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:35 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
True, but it takes two spergs to have a cripple fight.

Agreed, but it also speaks to the absolute ineffectiveness of an organisation the leading lights of which routinely write absurd, drunken, poorly written and entirely fictional and fantastical claims about their own importance (military, police, spies, etc.), and then try to threaten a subset of its own members with violence for leaking such extraordinary missives (not me, but the message was leaked to me). All this has nothing to do with some guy called Liversidge, but happened in 2016. Really shameful stuff, but I rest easy in the knowledge that the MAG honcho responsible doesn't even own a bike and so isn't one of us. ?! Shocked The worst thing about it is, that isn't even the tip of the iceberg. There's more, lots more...

Would I want to direct the emissions-measuring guy in this thread to such people? No. The best help I can offer with regard to ULEZ is warn effective people who have relevant backgrounds, experiences, skills and training to stay away from MAG. MAG's a one-trick pony, and its one big trick is to trade face. For example, suppose it was the Thermal Socks Action Group. The government has 2 proposals: make it a crime to wear thermal socks at night, and to tax the wearing of thermal socks in London. It has no intention of implementing the former, but it's really keen on implementing the latter. The problem is, thermal socks fans hate both proposals, and will cause problems by protesting, demonstrating, etc. TSAG then comes along, tells all the thermal sock people to shut up, that it's now in charge, and does something stupid and nominal in 'protest' against only one of the ideas (wearing thermal socks at night). Perhaps it writes a poorly spelled letter in bad grammar and capital letters to the Sec of State. The Sec of State looks at it, laughs, thinks 'they're doing what they're told, nice little dogs', and, eventually, makes a show of being forced to backtrack on a plan (to make night-time thermal sock wearing illegal) he never had any intention of implementing! Meanwhile, the taxation plan goes through. The govt is happy, TSAG 'succeeded' at a campaign and so its top dog/bitch remains in situ, the average thermal sock wearer is nonplussed and a bit confused...

From what I understand of what is being proposed in this thread to measure emissions and collect and organise evidence to present to government, the idea is a good one, it may be a little late but the government's plans aren't as concrete as may be thought, and, in any case, road traffic measures are sometimes reversed in London if they are too draconian (e.g. the now defunct M4 bus and taxi lane). I don't see an immediate need for an organisation of any sort to back it up. Just do it. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:44 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
an organisation the leading lights of which routinely write absurd, drunken, poorly written and entirely fictional and fantastical claims about their own importance

Say what you like about MAG, but by allah, I'll not have you disparaging BCF like that. Mad

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:44 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:

Agreed, but it also speaks to the absolute ineffectiveness of an organisation the leading lights of which routinely write absurd, drunken, poorly written and entirely fictional and fantastical claims about their own importance (military, police, spies, etc.), and then try to threaten a subset of its own members with violence for leaking such extraordinary missives (not me, but the message was leaked to me). All this has nothing to do with some guy called Liversidge, but happened in 2016. Really shameful stuff, but I rest easy in the knowledge that the MAG honcho responsible doesn't even own a bike and so isn't one of us. ?! Shocked The worst thing about it is, that isn't even the tip of the iceberg. There's more, lots more...

The king is dead, long live all of the king's chums.

I'm not sure why anybody refers to MAG now, membership must rank them smaller than any bike forum or Facebook group. They've become an utter irrelevance.

Raf
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:41 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
MAG's incompetence, autism, control freakery and so forth are the very reason we have no representation as motorcycle riders and are being squeezed out. If you want to see for yourself just how good they are at being worse than useless, invoke their involvement. Right off the bat they'll identify you as a proactive person, i.e. A Leader and therefore a threat and a potential rival. They'll instruct you to DO NOTHING, just accept their leader and await the news bulletin. They'll exert all their efforts to bury yours, in other words. Their hierarchy is full of military/MI5/Special Branch/Stalin/White Knight role-playing fantasists. MAG is basically a MORPG clan for those who take their BBSgames seriously.

Just letting you know this stuff from experience, as you seem to be a person who can get things done, and I'm sure you'll appreciate being forewarned, and not having any positive expectations, about a group which bears closer resemblance to a students union society than an actual lobby group.

To be honest until I was made aware, I believe yesterday, I had never heard of MAG. I've never really been involved any of these bike groups. It sounds like more hassle then its worth based on what you have mentioned about them and what I've read. If the results are positive I hope the news will spread through word of mouth.

I'm putting the testing method together this week, hopefully we should be ready to gather results after Christmas.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:21 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all tools, they can be wielded constructively. They're currently agitating about the ULEZ, and they could put their members in touch with you, and help with the presentation.

I've had something like a constructive conversation with Leon Mannings in the past. You can get him at leon.drm at-symbol gmail.com

Thanks again for doing this, it's great to see some tangible action rather than just fist shaking and "Why someone oughta..."
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5