Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Banker fined £2.5k for dangerous cycling

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:40 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Banker fined £2.5k for dangerous cycling Reply with quote

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3874468/Investment-banker-led-police-20-minute-low-speed-chase-City-London-2-7m-home-BIKE-cutting-patrol-car-refusing-stop.html

Quote:

Investment banker led police on 20-minute low-speed chase through City of London to his £2.7m home on his BIKE after cutting up patrol car and refusing to stop

Tanneguy Marie De Carne led police on 20-minute chase through London

53-year-old jumped red traffic lights and cut up a police patrol vehicle
Wealthy investment banker lives in a £2.7million house in St John's Wood

Now fined £2,500 for dangerous cycling and failing to stop for police
Magistrate: 'People do not like cyclists, and you are doing nothing to enhance their reputation'

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So police can't pursue youths on peds but it's ok to go after a cyclist? I had this happen to me, I filtered round the wrong side of a traffic island (as a bus was blocking the road) and had two police motorcycles chase me down. £2500 sounds like a lot, regardless of if he's rich or not.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

F da police

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:03 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

He needs to work on how to not stop for da police. Thumbs Up

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:05 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
So police can't pursue youths on peds but it's ok to go after a cyclist? I had this happen to me, I filtered round the wrong side of a traffic island (as a bus was blocking the road) and had two police motorcycles chase me down. £2500 sounds like a lot, regardless of if he's rich or not.

Yes, we indeed live in a sick and corrupt society, in which police waste their time going after a reckless cyclist who's a menace to himself and others, when clearly there are worse crimes to prosecute...
With this kind of reasoning, no one would ever be prosecuted.

Did you read the story? If it is true (which is a big if, since it's the daily mail) that guy was absolutely mental.

Tell me, is there a threshold beyond which you may approve of going after a cyclist? Or is going after cyclists always wrong, no matter what the cyclist did?

£2,500 is not a lot for what he did. He should be thankful he can still cycle and ride; had he done anything even remotely similar on a motor vehicle, he would have been disqualified for I don't know how many years, and rightly so.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:06 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
He needs to work on how to not stop for da police. Thumbs Up

Apparently they don't teach that well enough in banking school

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less than a weeks wages probably. I'm sure he won't even notice the expense. Drop fines like that
on normal piss taking cyclists and you may see some modification of behaviour. Until then, nothing much will change.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:08 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I filtered round the wrong side of a traffic island (as a bus was blocking the road) and had two police motorcycles chase me down. .

How dare they? Shame on them! Don't they know that cyclists are exempt from all the laws of this island?
Motorcyclists, car and truck drivers: they are evil, not cyclists!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:50 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:

Tell me, is there a threshold beyond which you may approve of going after a cyclist? Or is going after cyclists always wrong, no matter what the cyclist did?

I would suggest the issue is more about police not perusing kids on stolen vehicles, but happily persecuting those doing relatively less 'damage' to society, presumably due to being easier targets.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:55 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

I would suggest the issue is more about police not perusing kids on stolen vehicles, but happily persecuting those doing relatively less 'damage' to society, presumably due to being easier targets.

The comment is still utterly irrelevant. The fact that certain crimes are not prosecuted as harshly as they should does not mean that lesser crimes should not be prosecuted at all, does not mean the police were wrong going after that cyclist - all the more so because, if the article is correct, the guy just happened to cycle past the police, ie the police were not actively looking for rich-bankers-cycling so they could fine them.

And who's say that dangerous cycling is any less serious as a crime? In fact, the opposite could be argued, since a dangerous cyclist like that banker could have potentially hurt many more people than two kids on a stolen 125 or car.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:

Yes, we indeed live in a sick and corrupt society, in which police waste their time going after a reckless cyclist who's a menace to himself and others, when clearly there are worse crimes to prosecute...
With this kind of reasoning, no one would ever be prosecuted.

Did you read the story? If it is true (which is a big if, since it's the daily mail) that guy was absolutely mental.

£2,500 is not a lot for what he did. He should be thankful he can still cycle and ride; had he done anything even remotely similar on a motor vehicle, he would have been disqualified for I don't know how many years, and rightly so.

As G said, people on peds remove their helmet and the police automatically stop pursuing them for their own safety. I don't see pursuing a cyclist for a minor offence as justifiable. The guy was obviously an idiot in trying to get away, but I've known people who were caught driving uninsured and fined a lot less.

Londoner2015 wrote:
M.C wrote:
I filtered round the wrong side of a traffic island (as a bus was blocking the road) and had two police motorcycles chase me down. .

How dare they? Shame on them! Don't they know that cyclists are exempt from all the laws of this island?
Motorcyclists, car and truck drivers: they are evil, not cyclists!

That was after one of them forced me out of a right hand turn lane, which I took exception to. I didn't fancy sitting alongside them after that. Anyway the point was a cyclist with no helmet can be pursued, someone who's just stolen a ped', robbed someone can't?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:03 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:

The comment is still utterly irrelevant.

To you, maybe.

To others, it sets a dangerous precedent when you actively do not try and prevent certain crimes, but target lesser ones because they're 'easy'.

"Inequality" is a fashionable stick to beat people with, but it's often forgotten that there's considerable inequality in other aspects too.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:05 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Anyway the point was a cyclist with no helmet can be pursued, someone who's just stolen a ped', robbed someone can't?

Gotcha now. This just means the police have stupid policies, it doesn't mean the banker should not have been chased. Cycling like that is not a minor offence; what would have happened to a motorcyclist trying to do just half of what that guy did?

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:09 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Londoner2015 wrote:

The comment is still utterly irrelevant.

To you, maybe.

To others, it sets a dangerous precedent when you actively do not try and prevent certain crimes, but target lesser ones because they're 'easy'.

"Inequality" is a fashionable stick to beat people with, but it's often forgotten that there's considerable inequality in other aspects too.

The guy just happened to pass by the police while cycling like a madman...
You are not happy they chased him, so, please tell me: what was the police supposed to do and why? Pretend they hadn't seen anything? And why? Because of some stupid policy that doesn't let them chase helmetless motorcyclists? Where's the link?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:09 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:

And who's say that dangerous cycling is any less serious as a crime?

Me. And G. It's called public interest and is the basis of selecting which crimes the state is supposed to persue.

I say theft of a motor vehicle then riding it on the road without insurance, a licence or a clue then fleeing away at high speed while flagrantly disregarding public safety when told to stop is a more serious offence than passing the wrong side of a traffic island on a push bike then leading the coppers on an OJ Simpson style slow persuit back to your house.

I think it's pretty funny that the police couldn't even stop a push bike. Should've stuck their truncheon through the spokes. It should be on a video, preferrably speeded up slightly with the Benny Hill theme playing in the background.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:17 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:

You are not happy they chased him,

I didn't say I was not happy they chased him; you just made that up!}

I am definitely not happy that they will often not chase, or generally much effort with bike thieves for the most part.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:48 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

I didn't say I was not happy they chased him; you just made that up!}

I had misunderstood. Apologies. Embarassed

G wrote:

I am definitely not happy that they will often not chase, or generally much effort with bike thieves for the most part.

That makes two of us...
As for not chasing motorcyclists without helmets, I think the story broke out about a year ago. Has anything changed since then?

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle through some bollards / down an alleyway or narrow path. Win Thumbs Up Cuntstubble Mc redshoutyface won't want to waddle out of the panda car after you. Laughing

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably less dangerous than the antics of rando-tourists on Boris bikes who seem to enjoy 90 degree turns across the middle of the road.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joncrete Cungle wrote:
Cycle through some bollards / down an alleyway or narrow path. Win Thumbs Up Cuntstubble Mc redshoutyface won't want to waddle out of the panda car after you. Laughing

Not doing this is why he deserves to be fined Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 92 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1