Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha Aerox headlight problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

jondoe
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:57 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Yamaha Aerox headlight problem Reply with quote

Hello guys and girls, I'm hoping I can pick the brains of some Aerox owners and/or any electrically skilled people please!

I've inherited an Aerox 100cc, it's a 2000 model, it's had a hard life. Currently everything thing works on the bike apart from the headlights. I've spent some time looking into this and none the wiser, I had some panels off today and tested the lighting coils, they are in spec, testing them for AC output while it's running and it puts out plenty of power.

I can make the headlights function is by running a bodge wire directly from the headlamp earth to anywhere on the stator housing area, high and low beam work, they turn on and off and do as expected. Of course, a bodge wire isn't a repair Laughing I suspect there is an AC earthing issue based on that result, but I can't for the life of me figure out where the earths are, the service manual isn't very helpful on that one.

The only other symptom the bike manifests is what feels like AC in the levers, if you rev it up, it tingles a little more! Thumbs Down

Happy to take suggestions that don't include setting fire to in a disused quarry Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:29 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Aerox headlight problem Reply with quote

jondoe wrote:
Hello guys and girls, I'm hoping I can pick the brains of some Aerox owners and/or any electrically skilled people please!

I've inherited an Aerox 100cc, it's a 2000 model, it's had a hard life. Currently everything thing works on the bike apart from the headlights. I've spent some time looking into this and none the wiser, I had some panels off today and tested the lighting coils, they are in spec, testing them for AC output while it's running and it puts out plenty of power.

I can make the headlights function is by running a bodge wire directly from the headlamp earth to anywhere on the stator housing area, high and low beam work, they turn on and off and do as expected. Of course, a bodge wire isn't a repair Laughing I suspect there is an AC earthing issue based on that result, but I can't for the life of me figure out where the earths are, the service manual isn't very helpful on that one.

The only other symptom the bike manifests is what feels like AC in the levers, if you rev it up, it tingles a little more! Thumbs Down

Happy to take suggestions that don't include setting fire to in a disused quarry Laughing

First off, you need a multimeter. It's heard to test shit like this without one.

Saying that.....

It sounds from the description that the earth from the headlight is fucked. Run a wire from the headlamp earth directly to the battery and see if the headlight works.

jondoe
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:23 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started this odyssey suspecting the stator was a gonna, I'd tested it with a multi meter and found it out of spec. One second hand stator later I realised my multi meter was over reading the resistance.... one fluke meter later I found the existing stator is fine resistance wise and is well within the service manual spec, as is the running voltage output.

As far as I can tell the rear and front lights are AC, but indicators, charging, instruments, etc, is DC. Running an earth wire directly to the battery didn't have the desired effect. The stator grounds to itself to the block so my wild assumption here is that this isn't grounded to the frame anymore, but I've no idea where it's meant to ground, nor can I see any broken earthing straps or wiring.

Crossing my fingers someone might know so I don't have to strip all the plastics off on witch hunt for an earth that might not exist Very Happy

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:36 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

jondoe wrote:
I started this odyssey suspecting the stator was a gonna, I'd tested it with a multi meter and found it out of spec. One second hand stator later I realised my multi meter was over reading the resistance.... one fluke meter later I found the existing stator is fine resistance wise and is well within the service manual spec, as is the running voltage output.

As far as I can tell the rear and front lights are AC, but indicators, charging, instruments, etc, is DC. Running an earth wire directly to the battery didn't have the desired effect. The stator grounds to itself to the block so my wild assumption here is that this isn't grounded to the frame anymore, but I've no idea where it's meant to ground, nor can I see any broken earthing straps or wiring.

Crossing my fingers someone might know so I don't have to strip all the plastics off on witch hunt for an earth that might not exist Very Happy

Earth the block to the frame. See it it fixes it.

If the stator isn't earthed, your battery will slowly drain due to no charge from stator.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTFM
https://zsebog.com/wp-content/uploads/yamaha-yq100-2000-en.pdf

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:58 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

From that wiring diagram, I@d be checking the wring to the regulator and checking that the regulator actually works.

Why were you testing the stator in the first place?

jondoe
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:04 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping I can find where it was earthed originally and not fudging it just to make it work, that said I may have too. I have RTFM, that's where I got the specs for the stator. No damn mention of an earth strap anywhere I could find, might be missing it though! Very Happy

I probably need to lift out the seat box next time the weathers good to see what wires are hiding under it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:23 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

jondoe wrote:
No damn mention of an earth strap anywhere I could find, might be missing it though! Very Happy

4 wires to the reglulator. One goes to battery, two to stator. One is an earth.

Luckyfish13
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:36 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Earth the block to the frame. See it it fixes it.

This. And also make sure both block and frame are earthed to battery.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:39 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckyfish13 wrote:
And also make sure both block and frame are earthed to battery.

Frame to battery, block to frame. Any more than that is un-necessary and the block to frame should be sorted by the bolts that hold the engine in.

Luckyfish13
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:48 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Luckyfish13 wrote:
And also make sure both block and frame are earthed to battery.

Frame to battery, block to frame. Any more than that is un-necessary and the block to frame should be sorted by the bolts that hold the engine in.

Agree. Was thinking more of continuity checks...

Problem seems to be the frame to battery connection...

It's odd cos if the block/frame aren't properly earthed then why are starter motor and ignition cool working fine?!
Unless the stator being earthed to the block is creating a second earth which isn't the same earth as the battery negative terminal :s

What makes you think regulator?

jondoe
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:20 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first suspected the stator as the problem appeared to only be a lighting issue on the AC side, had the coils broken this would have left me on a similar state, this is detailed in the fault finding section of the service manual so I went down that rabbit hole when my meter was reading a good 0.7 over the maximum, but that turned out to be a red herring. Embarassed

The electric starter has long been removed so it's kick start only, that said it starts on the first kick and idles fine. With a bodge wire the lamp is as bright as to be expected.

I suppose the ignition works because the spark and the earth are all contained within the block? Where as the lamps AC have to travel down the wiring loom and without a path back there's no circuit.

At times like this I wish I had a garage to work in Laughing

Luckyfish13
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:47 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens at high revs? At least 7-8k...

Also get ur multimeter out, and do a continuity check between the battery negative terminal and the point on the stator cover where you bodged a wire and the headlights worked fine....if you get me?

jondoe
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:31 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't rev'd it up that high, I didn't have a stand to lift the back wheel up so it only got a light rev with the front brake held on with the wheel on some wet grass Very Happy

Luckyfish13 I see what you're saying, I'll give that a look when I've got some day light and favorable weather, this has so far only been a weekend project :/

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:08 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckyfish13 wrote:

because I can understand a wiring diagram and can see that the earth for the lighing circuit is via a regulator....

jondoe
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:01 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do indeed share a black wire for an earth. It disappears off into the main loom pretty quickly so I couldn't see if it shares the same earthing point or if it's directly connected.

If it were the regulator and it was shorting straight to earth that might well cause a problem. Would the bodge wire not work though in that instance? The regulator is still in circuit after all.

I did check the connections to it when I found it, I'll add it it to my closer inspection list.

Luckyfish13
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:09 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the diagram, anything with a -B- earth is wired direct to battery by black cable, the frame earths are shown by the ||| earth symbol...

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:57 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC lighting with a "resistor" to pull down the voltage to acceptable levels when headlights not on Sick Puke

Do Not Want

OP how's about you find a RR of a 125 or similar that is designed to rectify/regulate all of the alternators output, feed the headlight from an ign controlled live (poss via relay) and jobs a good un.

Doctor Smegs surgical recommendations are here:

https://i.imgur.com/tJPxuqx.png

That said I've been hacking around with motorcycle electrics for 10+years and I play with soldering irons and heatshrink for funsies, so I'm pretty confident butchering my way thru a wiring loom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jondoe
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:23 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's certainly a creative solution to the problem, that's a step up from a bodge wire.

If I were keeping this bike, I'd fudge it to high heaven and take my own poor workmanship on the chin, but, I intend to make it road worthy and sell it on, therefore a proper repair is more desirable for my conscience.

I've found an Aerox earth strap for sale on the web, as a spare part for the 50cc model (although it's NO WHERE on the part diagrams). This makes me think there must be one hiding some where on the 100cc as they are very similar Very Happy

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, putting some piss-weak R/R and using a resistor to soak up excess power is just a cost-cutting exercise by the manufacturer.

My suggestion is a legit improvement over the bargain-basement stock system, if you are gonna be flogging it on tho I can understand keeping it stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Luckyfish13
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:06 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:

Doctor Smegs surgical recommendations are

Very nice!

jondoe
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:32 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a zombie, this tread is coming back from the dead! Shifty

January and February flew past in a blink of an eye and the bike sat under it's cover at the end of the garden gently dripping oil onto the concrete, waiting for the day I could be arsed to tinker and the weather was up to scratch...

Today was that day. First the seat came off, then the box, some more plastic trim and the glorious mess of butchered wiring was there to behold. After some considered poking about with the multi-meter and some temporary bodge wires it became apparent that the cause of the lack of AC earth was down to the fact someone had removed the starter motor and removed the shared earth. I found it entombed in half a roll of insulation tape, tucked under the carb Rolling Eyes .

The bike had been in for a kick start repair before I got my hands on it, they had welded the lever on and said it would require considerable parts to fix "properly" which having looked over the service manual is bull shit of the highest order, but I digress.

The earth ring connector was freed from the tape, cleaned and connected to a suitable earth point that had a screw the same size, lo and behold, the lights worked perfectly.

I can't seem to get attachments working, so page 34 in the service manual shows the looped back earth connection on the start motor itself.

Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:05 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jondoe wrote:
Like a zombie, this tread is coming back from the dead! Shifty

January and February flew past in a blink of an eye and the bike sat under it's cover at the end of the garden gently dripping oil onto the concrete, waiting for the day I could be arsed to tinker and the weather was up to scratch...

Today was that day. First the seat came off, then the box, some more plastic trim and the glorious mess of butchered wiring was there to behold. After some considered poking about with the multi-meter and some temporary bodge wires it became apparent that the cause of the lack of AC earth was down to the fact someone had removed the starter motor and removed the shared earth. I found it entombed in half a roll of insulation tape, tucked under the carb Rolling Eyes .

The bike had been in for a kick start repair before I got my hands on it, they had welded the lever on and said it would require considerable parts to fix "properly" which having looked over the service manual is bull shit of the highest order, but I digress.

The earth ring connector was freed from the tape, cleaned and connected to a suitable earth point that had a screw the same size, lo and behold, the lights worked perfectly.

I can't seem to get attachments working, so page 34 in the service manual shows the looped back earth connection on the start motor itself.

Thumbs Up

I'm not one to tell you I told you so, but I told you so.

jondoe
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:33 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I'm not one to tell you I told you so, but I told you so.

I don't think you told me so, unless I'm missing the part where you told me it was an earth wire on the starter motor, which I can't see... Neutral

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:39 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Luckyfish13 wrote:

because I can understand a wiring diagram and can see that the earth for the lighing circuit is via a regulator....

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2