Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Police switchgear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Honda Police switchgear Reply with quote

For years Honda have supplied bikes to the Emergency services and Military, many of these bikes use a different right hand switchgear with extra integral switches for activating the extra lights and sirens etc.
Its a bit odd that the extra switches are on the right, the left side would make more sense as your left hand does less but it seems to work anyway.
The switch is a lot bigger than a standard one and 11mm wider, the throttle cables also exit from the bottom rather than the front so you often need bar risers so the throttle cables miss the fuel tank.

This picture shows just how much bigger the Police switchgear is

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Deauville/20161212_042813_1481808263413.jpg

The basic features of the Police switchgear are also wired differently to most other switchgear filling all nine of the possible positions in the connector.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Deauville/20161212_042859_1481808262767.jpg

I will be aiming to fit this to a 2001 NT650V Deauville. The standard Deauville switch only uses eight of the nine positions.

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Deauville/20161212_042838_1481808263138.jpg

The circuit positions within the switch are also different so these need to be altered to work on the Deauville.
The Police Switch has a lead that is about 4 inches shorter than a Deauville one so this gives space to have a bridging link to alter the circuits positions within the connector without having to modify the actual switch.

Circuit positions in each switch are here

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Deauville/20161212_043621_1481757705528.jpg

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So whats the point of fitting one of these?

If you fit anything like spotlights you will need a switch to operate them. Adding switches to the bars ends up being very untidy so to have a switchgear with the addtional switches already fitted is a spacesaver and keeps things tidy.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:12 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Monty- had a pan with those on, so many switches with so many possibilities.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 15 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I want one.

It could be arranged, there are a few on Ebay. What bike do you have?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:43 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a wiggly tool. (my name for it)

https://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/shopimages/products/extras/NEW%2070399%2003-12.JPG

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we need a conversion bridge connection to extend the lead and make it all work.

The following conversion needs to be performed. To a degree it doesn't really matter which direction through the switches the positive or negatives go with two exceptions which I will show later.

First column is Deauville side, second column is switch side.

1 > 2 Bl/w Kill / Starter
2 > 7 Blu/w Headlight
3 > 6 Gr/y Brake switch
4 > 9 Bl/w/r Headlight
5 > 3 Bl Kill
6 > 8 Y/r Starter
7 Empty
8 > 1 > 4 Pilot (Live)
9 > 5 Br > Br/w Pilot

It'll take a little playing with a multi meter but initially I suspect that the Deauville shares a positive for the Pilot and brake circuits.

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgive me if i'm stating the obvious, but you know you can push the socket pins back out and locate them in the right configuration don't you?

you need to flatten the barb bit inside, then they slide right out.

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovylee wrote:
forgive me if i'm stating the obvious, but you know you can push the socket pins back out and locate them in the right configuration don't you?

you need to flatten the barb bit inside, then they slide right out.

Yes I know this but the Deauville only uses 8 of the nine connections and the Police switch gear lead needs extending so just moving the pins around wouldn't work.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

One bridging connector

https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/750RK/Deauville/20161216_152346.jpg

All except one in black as I only keep black and red cable at home. The red is a soldered 2 into 1 connection and it works perfectly to convert one type to the other.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 17 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Skudd wrote:
I want one.

It could be arranged, there are a few on Ebay. What bike do you have?

Varadero 1000

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 17 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Varadero 1000

A bit difficult on one of these due to the separate throttle tube but not impossible. It would possibly require custom throttle cables but this wouldn't be difficult.
By the looks of it the Varadero lights are always on so you would have an additional switch to play with.

From an electrical point of view it would be easier than most due to only needing to wire in the start button and kill switch.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Skudd wrote:
Varadero 1000

A bit difficult on one of these due to the separate throttle tube but not impossible. It would possibly require custom throttle cables but this wouldn't be difficult.
By the looks of it the Varadero lights are always on so you would have an additional switch to play with.

From an electrical point of view it would be easier than most due to only needing to wire in the start button and kill switch.

Couldn't skudd just look for someone who has an ex police varadero, there are some from google image searches. That way less modification needed. Interesting thread considering looking for an ex police k100 now just see the difference in the switchgear.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone could link me to one of these, that would be awesome. I have a project in mind that could use some stock looking switches. My ebay searches are not turning anything up.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 03:18 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm being a tard here, but why would you want lots more lights/switches?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 90's cb500 could sometimes benefit from extra lights, I think. But I decided because I don't actually ever ride in the dark that much, I could probably get away without them - even though they would make me more conspicuous in daylight hours too. One idea I had as a cheap ass quick fix bodge was to get cheap bicycle lights and tighten them onto the indicator stems and just switch them on and off by hand, and use rechargeable AAA batteries in them! But I thought all the big lads at Squires would call me a puffter and gob in me cuppa when I wasn't looking.

Aside from that though was the conclusion I drew that they'd probably just shake off or else simply dismantle themselves part way into the first ride with them on. These sort it was:

https://www.digitalsave.co.uk/images/detailed/1/front_bike_light.jpg

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Couldn't skudd just look for someone who has an ex police varadero, there are some from google image searches. That way less modification needed.

The Varadero's didn't have them fitted.

TheSmiler wrote:
Interesting thread considering looking for an ex police k100 now just see the difference in the switchgear.

They use standard switchgear.

Dimerz wrote:
Sorry if I'm being a tard here, but why would you want lots more lights/switches?

You live in London so must have seen all the bikes with spotlights?

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
If someone could link me to one of these, that would be awesome. I have a project in mind that could use some stock looking switches. My ebay searches are not turning anything up.

There you go, clicky.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1