Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aqua Ingress/Pissing water

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:42 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Aqua Ingress/Pissing water Reply with quote

So since it started raining, I immediately died due to lack of WipeyPal...

Well no but it appears my bike may be dying...
2 weeks ago my bike started chugging along after filling up petrol Would try to stall and barely idle at more than 900rpm (idle is normally around 1500rpm)
The exhaust sounded like it was producing weak farts on every combustion.

I thought it may have just been some shit/water in the fuel so ran it for a while in hopes to burn off the water.
It idled fine the next morning.
I emptied the plugged rubber hose at the bottom of the bike (crankcase breather?) and approx a third a cup of water came out.

A week later the problems returned (without filling up this time) again managed to burn through it, and emptied a third cup of water again.
Even though the idling issues have not returned in over a week, I have been emptying that plugged up hose on a 48 hour basis, and there is a considerable amount of water each time.

Where should I start looking for water ingress first? Thinking

[/TEF]

EDIT: My Bandit lives outside without a cover, this only really seems to be happening when its raining overnight, hard to say if that's the cause though.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Last edited by Commuter_Tim on 04:23 - 16 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:49 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding what the hose is would be a first step. What's it connected to?

Is it actual water coming out of it?

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:58 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Finding what the hose is would be a first step. What's it connected to?

Is it actual water coming out of it?

I would have to take the tank/airbox off to be certain (Got a day off tomorrow so why not)
When following the tubing it appears to go to the airbox, Tube number 8

I would say it appears to be water, but I'm anosmic so smelling it isn't going to be possible.
It didn't feel or look like petrol (I should know I recently got covered in petrol like Van Dammes brother from "AWOL")
https://www.amanonfire82.com/assets/Fire_Man_by_formalART.jpg
Granted I thankfully didn't get set alight.

I should mention as it may be relevant, when I first purchased the bike I left it on "prime" and it flooded the engine and also out of the same plugged hose.
I have had no reliability issues in almost a year other than this.

Last edited by Commuter_Tim on 04:36 - 16 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:24 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
When following the tubing it appears to go to the airbox, Tube number 8
I would say it appears to be water, but I'm anosmic so smelling it isn't going to be possible.

It will be the airbox breather/drain pipe.

Check your airfilter, there might be a huge hole in it.
Check the seal between the airbox and the carbs.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is plugging the hose up each time?
The only time I've had a drain hose plug up I blasted it clear with compressed air (from the top end) and a dead wasp shot out the bottom. The little fucker.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:35 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the airbox drain and you're getting a cupful of WATER in 24h, I suspect the cause will be obvious as soon as you take the saddle/tank off.

If it's petrol, I'd suspect you have a blocked/leaking needle valve or punctured float.

@jnw010, airbox drain hoses often have a bung in them. It's just there to drain out any condensation. You'd normally get a few ml over a period of months, no more than fits in the tube itself.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
@jnw010, airbox drain hoses often have a bung in them. It's just there to drain out any condensation. You'd normally get a few ml over a period of months, no more than fits in the tube itself.

Ahh, that makes sense, cheers for the info. My problem was a fuel tank filler neck drain hose. Rain filled up around the filler and then went into the tank when you opened it. Little bastard wasp.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know why the drains are blocked up?

Why not just just let em freely drain...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:29 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
Anyone know why the drains are blocked up?

Why not just just let em freely drain...?

They drain the airbox downstream of the filter, so if you leave them open the engine can suck in unfiltered air through the drain hose.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies

It was certainly the Airbox drain hose thanks, the amount coming out seems to be lessening as only about a tablespoon or 2 came out this time.
It's definitely water too as the ground was already wet, and it immediately blended with what dropped out, no oilyness.

The rubbers from airbox to carb look perfect, no cracking or damage I could see, which is odd considering it's a 21 year old bike.

I did take a quick look at the filter, and it seemed a little dusty but by that point it was almost pitch black.
I guess I'll have to pull it all apart properly on my lunch tomorrow to get a proper look at the air filter in good light.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I had the tank off/Air filter out, no damage/holes I could see.

However after I filled up with petrol again and left sitting overnight it started farting out the exhaust, underpowered and idling about 1000 instead of 1500 again. Thumbs Down
Again dropped petrol from carbs, blasted the engine for a bit, and it was all good again.

Is it possible if water dripped into the tank during fillup, it could end up coming out of the airbox drain? (evaporation blasting back or something?) Thinking

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

"""""I should mention as it may be relevant, when I first purchased the bike I left it on "prime" and it flooded the engine and also out of the same plugged hose.
I have had no reliability issues in almost a year other than this.""""""""

Prime (pri) is used when the bike has not been used for a while, pri will fill the carbs up to the correct level for starting. Your carb/s are overfilling and need sorting first.
A bike should be covered ( ignition switch and tank) when not in use.
Your tank overflow outlet needs checking for when you put too much fuel in above the neck or if water gets in around the cap.
Also the idle / tick over should be 1.000rpm to 1,100rpm and no more.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:04 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're SURE it's water and not petrol? Because that's a hell of a lot of water to be getting into your airbox from somewhere in an air cooled bike.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:04 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
So I had the tank off/Air filter out, no damage/holes I could see.

However after I filled up with petrol again and left sitting overnight it started farting out the exhaust, underpowered and idling about 1000 instead of 1500 again. Thumbs Down
Again dropped petrol from carbs, blasted the engine for a bit, and it was all good again.

Is it possible if water dripped into the tank during fillup, it could end up coming out of the airbox drain? (evaporation blasting back or something?) Thinking

There is usually a drain around the tank filler cap that leads to a pipe which runs down the inside of the tank and feeds into a drain pipe attached the underside of the tank.

That can get blocked with debris, which prevents water draining away and leaves it sitting around the filler cap rim.
Open cap, water spills into tank. Bad times.

The only reliable way to safely clear a blocked drain is to use compressed air and blow it from the bottom up.

Do not poke anything in the hole, you might puncture the pipe in the tank and then you wil cry like Wonko.

I would take the tank off and drain it into a clear receptacle, then you can see if there is any water in the tank.

While the tank is off, check the filler cap drain.

Using a can of compressed air, like the stuff used for dusting computers, blow up through the drain from the bottom.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:59 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You're SURE it's water and not petrol? Because that's a hell of a lot of water to be getting into your airbox from somewhere in an air cooled bike.

This, it should be easy to tell if it's petrol even without smelling given the different evaporation rates for water and petrol....

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I honestly couldn't say 100%, but it didnt seem like any petrol mixing with water or oil I've ever seen.

I need to know though so I'll try setting some on fire tomorrow...
I'll get back on here when I have a melted face (OK so I'll obviously take some away from the bike before the flames ensue)
Thumbs Up

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

There is usually a drain around the tank filler cap that leads to a pipe which runs down the inside of the tank and feeds into a drain pipe attached the underside of the tank.

That can get blocked with debris, which prevents water draining away and leaves it sitting around the filler cap rim.
Open cap, water spills into tank. Bad times.

The only reliable way to safely clear a blocked drain is to use compressed air and blow it from the bottom up.

Do not poke anything in the hole, you might puncture the pipe in the tank and then you wil cry like Wonko.

I would take the tank off and drain it into a clear receptacle, then you can see if there is any water in the tank.

While the tank is off, check the filler cap drain.

Using a can of compressed air, like the stuff used for dusting computers, blow up through the drain from the bottom.

Cheers dude but I had that problem on the CB500.
Ze Bandit doesn't fill up with rivers like that, at worst 1 or 2 drops of water came off the cap into the tank last I filled up, the 'rim' was bone dry, just how I like it. Wink

Back then I stupidly did poke the top drain hole with an air can straw and blasted it.
I didn't think about the tubing inside, so cheers for that heads up should I need to do it again.

I do have to press the cap down like a bastard every time I want to open/close it though.
So I'm now wondering if the cap seal has failed and is always letting water in. Thinking

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
A bike should be covered ( ignition switch and tank) when not in use.
Your tank overflow outlet needs checking for when you put too much fuel in above the neck or if water gets in around the cap.
Also the idle / tick over should be 1.000rpm to 1,100rpm and no more.

I heard this shocking rumour that Motorbikes are supposed to be waterproof. Laughing
My previous bikes always lived outside sans cover too.

Overflow drain is clear, I can pour water in it and it comes out of the bottom hose just fine.

Idle is 1500 normally and 1000-1100 when chugging along and having its period.
I had no idea that was Bandit 600 idle speed though.
Just checked Haynes and you were right, it says 1200rpm give or take 100rpm.
I guess the previous owner upped the idle to cover a problem before pawning it off on me.

Damn I best get adjusting, I am dubious if this is causing the symptoms though. Thinking

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anybody else has this issue, I finally appear to have sorted this....

The seal around the airbox cover is made of something similar to that 1mm foamy sheet you get layed over the top of the cheapest socket sets on Ebay.
It is cheap, shit and fucked, causing water to pool in the airbox, fill up the plugged hose, and overflow through the air filter into the carbs.

I have noob bodge fixed it with Hylomar Blue and its been fine for a week with a fair bit of rain here and there. Praying (I'm aware that's not its intended purpose, but it was to hand)
All going well I'll source a proper seal, all going wrong the Blue got into the carbs and gummed shit up. Laughing

Cheers fellas

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:39 - 21 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still impressed at the physical quantity of water getting in.

I'd have gone with silicone but hylomar will probably do it.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:20 - 21 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth a new filter too if this one has been soggy for a long time.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 21 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'm still impressed at the physical quantity of water getting in.

Part of that is probably due to my complete inability to estimate.
Also I had been pouring buckets of water on my bike each morning to defrost it.

Also there was a large chip in the top dead centre of the join/lip letting water in.
As if someone ignored the 2 screws securing the cover and just jammed a flathead in there to prise it apart.

I don't think I'll be working on the bike in the dark anymore tho, could have fixed this a lot quicker.

Last edited by Commuter_Tim on 20:10 - 21 Jan 2017; edited 2 times in total

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 21 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Might be worth a new filter too if this one has been soggy for a long time.

Certainly is, I neglected to mention there was about 15 years of dead insects and small rocks in there.
As well as some emulsified petrol cheese (probably from me overflowing the carbs way back with "prime")

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:55 - 22 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

weirdly, my Bandit does something similar in the rain.

In the dry it idles happily, in the wet it idles much slower on the verge of knocking/ spluttering an dying.

I have sat there an held the throttle open a touch at the lights to just keep it going Sick

cheers will check the seal on mine Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 22 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
weirdly, my Bandit does something similar in the rain.

In the dry it idles happily, in the wet it idles much slower on the verge of knocking/ spluttering an dying.

I have sat there an held the throttle open a touch at the lights to just keep it going Sick

cheers will check the seal on mine Thumbs Up

If it's the same problem I encountered, you will soon know it when you take the airbox drain plug out, pour a bucket of water over your bike and check the plug again later.
I'm with Stinky, even with the damage and shit seal i'm still surprised that much was getting in there.

That being said I genuinely hope that thin foamy shit isn't the OEM seal and they used rubber like any other airbox I've opened.
I would be interested to hear what yours is made of.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1