BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cycling to beat pancreatic cancer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 06:34 - 18 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turned 3k for the year last night and currently sitting on 225 miles for the week so I should get a PB for most miles in a week with 3 days to go.

I'll do the usual today and just a short one tomorrow but I'll do a ton on Sunday for the 4th week in a row.

There's more to come, let's smash this.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:36 - 10 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update.

I lost a whole week due to illness, not this week but the week before. I went to the doctors and got some antibiotics to combat the tonsillitis that I had. I decided to take the week off and recover as I was really under the weather.

Before that week off I was going strong, I'd just completed my best ever week with 430 miles and I had managed my first ever back to back tons. 101 on the Saturday and 102 miles on the Sunday.

Even with the week off I had my best ever month with over 1,200 miles, I'm not sure on the exact amount.

So this week I've done 235 miles roughly and next week I'll try and get back to where I was pushing 300 miles most weeks.

Whilst I was off recovering I swapped out the worn groupset on the a Felt, it was really becoming a chore cycling as the gears were not playing ball. So I changed it all and upgraded to a Sram Red 22, the previous groupset was Sram Red 20 and I'm really pleased with the upgrade, everything is working brilliantly again. Also I finally fitted the Ultegra 10sp to the winter/back up bike and that's working well. That's a massive difference as it was fitted with Claris 8sp.

It makes a huge difference having both bikes working well, it means that if I need to work on one bike I can do it and take my time knowing that I have the other bike to use.

The credit card has taken a battering and thus far I've spent more on bike parts,replacing worn parts and winter gear than what I've raised but that's how it goes.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 04:59 - 22 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently on 5,099 miles for the year.

Still ahead of target and going strong.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 22 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! You're probably eating massively but also showing improved fitness, and don't really remember the time when your legs didn't have a background ache.

When anyone asks how fast you ride, you can tell them your average speed so far this year is 1.5 mph (3408 hours to yesterday).

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:52 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should hit 6,000 miles for the year after tomorrow's sportive.

A few weeks back I did the Isle of Mull sportive and had a good day, everything went to plan and I finished 2nd out of 160 who did the long route. 85 miles with over 7,000 ft of climbing.

We had a wee chain gang going which was working well, just the 4 of us after riders dropped off and with about 25 to go and then 20 to go it whittled down to just the two of us.

With 15 to go Tim attacked and I couldn't hold his wheel, so I settled for 2nd.

As for tomorrow I'm just planning on taking it easy and getting the miles under my belt. Its 107 miles with a bit of climbing. If any chain gangs go by I'll tag along but if not I'm just plodding along at a reduced pace.

I plan in doing EVERESTING next month and then I'll need to start planning for Lejog and the 24hr event.

So far so good.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:15 - 18 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wee update as its been a while.

I went through a rough patch, each week I was struggling to hit my weekly targets, I went from being well ahead to almost 260 miles behind target.

I attempted Everesting and failed, to be honest it was a half hearted attempt, I soon realised I was fighting a losing battle with the 34x28 that I had fitted.....so essentially gave up after 19 ascents of the chosen hill which equated to about 7,500ft of climbing in 26 miles. I night a med cage derailleur,new chain and a 32 cassette for the next attempt on a different hill.

Thankfully I got my mojo back and started putting in the miles again, I got it down to about 60 miles behind but after a mechanical on both bikes I lost over 100 miles but I'm clawing it back.....currently about 100 miles behind.

I attempted Everesting again, this time on a 3 mile climb with 1,050ft of climbing roughly. I started at 5:50 and at 21:15 I gave up. I couldn't go on, after 122.9 miles and 22,790ft of climbing I was done.

So I'll be doing it again for a third time, third time lucky I hope.

I attempted a " as many miles in 24hr" ride but failed miserably,it was doomed from the start and I only managed 166 miles. My goal had been 300 miles so I'll maybe try that one again.

I'm not doing Lejog now but what I'm doing instead starting this Saturday 22nd is to cycle the equivalent distance over the 9 days that I had planned. So 960 miles in 9 days. But I'm going to try for 1,000 miles.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:13 - 28 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep going dude, what you've achieved already is exceptional in my book. Thumbs Up

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:11 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wull wrote:
I attempted a " as many miles in 24hr" ride but failed miserably,it was doomed from the start and I only managed 166 miles. My goal had been 300 miles so I'll maybe try that one again.

Gotta love that attitude. "Failed" with "only" 166 miles.

166 miles ahead us fat bastards sat at home Thumbs Up Laughing .

Keep it up mate!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:13 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys!

Another fucking set back.

I've had the sickness & diarrhoea bug twice now in 3 wks and it's completely fucked me. The latest bout starting on Wednesday night there and I haven't cycled since Wednesday afternoon. I'm going to try and get some miles in tomorrow but I'll be needing to get the head down if I'm going to hit 12k for the year.

I've still managed 170 miles this week with just the 3 rides so hopefully I can get in at least 60 tomorrow.

As of Monday morning there I was needing to avg 41 miles per day to hit 12k.......game on! So long as my farter can keep sealed and the guts hold up game on.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:04 - 17 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe it's nearly been 12 months since this started!!

Update plz boss!!1!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:26 - 17 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega wrote:
I can't believe it's nearly been 12 months since this started!!

Update plz boss!!1!!

I called it a day after that last post. I was sitting on 9,941 miles at that point and I think I was off the bike for 3 weeks. I was sick of constantly falling ill, but I got back on the bike and took it to 10,001 miles for the year. And that's the final total for the year. No more cycling outdoors until the better weather.

So total mileage for the year - 10,001 miles

EVERESTING - 122.9 miles 22,790ft did not comment complete

24hr ride - 203.9 miles

Lejog - never happened

I'll be ordering an indoor trainer shortly to hopefully take my fitness to the next level, a few plans next year but no mileage targets.

A bit gutted TBH but it is what it is.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

10k miles in a year, in Scotland, all outside, with a full time job is fucking impressive.

You should be proud of that.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 05:34 - 26 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not angry I'm disappointed Laughing.

10k miles in a year is an insane achievement. I was happy enough with my riding this year and I bet I didn't break 500 miles. I'll get a donation though asap.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:12 - 26 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2